Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Team conducts pre-draft visit with McIntosh

RWJ

I don't think we need another linebacker. We have done fine in the last 2 years with throw ins (Pierce, Marshall). Clemons seems better then both of them. I say we go for cornerback, defensive end, or tightend.
How does Clemons seem to be better than Marshall, or either of the two for that matter?

if anyone i would think cromartie would be the one who slips to round 2 because of his injury.

Not likely. His draft stock has been rising like crazy the past few weeks. It isn't at all likely he makes it to the end of the first round now. People have him going anywhere from 10th overall to 25th.

seriously. if we took a CB this year, it means 3 straight years taking a DB with our top pick. not good

Not good? I don't think it really matters. If we strike it rich with a CB in this draft then we'll be set at the position next season (even with Kenny Wright only signed to a one year contract) for a couple of years. Wright's contract is the only reason there is any morivation to get a CB this year as opposed to next year... it gives us one year to develop him before he presumable sees more action as the nickelback.

if he is anything like DJ Williams he is damn good

... And if he is anything like Jonathan Vilma we will be ludicrously lucky. The U has produced some great LBers lately.

4.6 is good for a 265 rush end like Freeney or Carter.

but a linebacker operating in space?

Marshall runs faster than a 4.61 if I am not mistaken. Of course at 6'1 and 227 and being a former safety he is bit different from the other MLBs in the NFC.

I would expect though with the speed of the game that a WLB should be running in the 4.45 or 4.5 range to be effective in coverage against the running backs and ends today.

4.6 is a very good speed for a LB who weighs 235 lbs. Not exceptional, but very good. There are not to many LB's in the entire NFL that run better than 4.45's, because LB's typically weigh 225 to 250 lbs. You always have to consider a players weight when judging his 40 speed, as well as his position.

McIntosh ran a 4.63 at the combine and a 4.60 at his Pro Day workout, at 237 lbs. Which are very good speeds.

The two fastest LB's in this draft are Jon Alston who ran a 4.40 at the combine and Thomas Howard who ran a 4.42. Alston weighed 223 lbs and Howard weighed a pretty hefty 239 lbs for that kind of speed. There may be some obscure small college LB with that kind of speed, but without some other attributes going for him, he wont be able to cut it in the NFL.

I know what couch.scout says but they aren't always reliable. You also always have to consider that after a player has been in the league 4-5 years, he is going to start losing some speed as he approaches 30 or beyond. Older LB's typically make up for their loss of speed with smarts and instinct.

The forty speed of our LB's is as follows

Sykes = 4.45 - private workout

McCune = 4.49

McNeil = 4.62

Clemons = 4.64 - which is considered "fast" by Dale Lindsey

Marshall = 4.65

Washington = 4.66 - his rookie combine speed

Holdman = 4.67 - his rookie combine speed

Campbell = 4.73

This why we have had problems trying to cover Brian Westbrook out of the backfield in recent years. An excerpt from a scouting report on Brian Westbrook indicated he only ran a 4.59 at his combine. But he is also quick.

Brian Westbrook

Villanova

Height Weight 40 Grade

5'8 200 4.59 3.54

Three-year starter. Winner of the Walter Payton Trophy, awarded to the best player in Division-IAA.

Versatile offensive skill player productive when the ball is in his hands. Built low to the ground, slippery and elusive. Surgically repaired knee must check out prior to the draft. Poor forty times at the combine more than likely pushed him out of the first day. Late Fourth Round.

Actually he was taken in the 3rd round. :D

We have to go linebacker unless a goodcorners slides bigtime (Like Smoot did several years back)....We don't have the luxury to use a pick on a position like tight end with out limited picks. I for one and sick of drafting players with moderately high picks who don't fill a position of need (referring mostly to the Jacobs, Betts, and Manuel White picks).....

We have to go linebacker unless a goodcorners slides bigtime (Like Smoot did several years back)....We don't have the luxury to use a pick on a position like tight end with out limited picks. I for one and sick of drafting players with moderately high picks who don't fill a position of need (referring mostly to the Jacobs, Betts, and Manuel White picks).....

Id possibly agree on the White choice but Betts has been a good back up to CP in his time here, admittedly Jacobs has been a bust but that wasnt under Gibbs watch either. That was another nfl "coach", and by his own admission Jacobs just needs some "coaching up" to be honest. Like a half ton truck full of coaching up.

Id be happy for us to take the best corner/linebacker in this draft, its a toss up between the 2 from what ive read and seen here. On the one hand weve got 3 potential starters at WLB which means we have 2 backups there. Admittedly none of the 3 may ever be superstars but we do have veteran insurance in Holdman.

At Corner however, its a different thing. IF we can get another player of Carlos Rogers character and skill then id be enormously happy. Unfortunately we dont get any draft coverage over here, so all the information i get is what i read here and links to stuff around the net.

This is my :2cents: worth then, and thankyou to you guys for the info.

i am enjoying, the draft potential this year, even without a one pick. we have addressed the needs real well, without the draft so far. now we can watch and see what joe does to complete the seasons pursuits. personally, i think we will pick the best player left at 53 either olb or corner. in greg williams defense, he uses multiple players at those positions to stay fresh. we will never have a superstar, i dont believe because of his goal of using so many players on defense. the skins will get the players they need, and i am looking forward to this season as no other for a long time. there is a lot of pressure on mark brunell.

Not likely. His draft stock has been rising like crazy the past few weeks. It isn't at all likely he makes it to the end of the first round now. People have him going anywhere from 10th overall to 25th.

Not good? I don't think it really matters. If we strike it rich with a CB in this draft then we'll be set at the position next season (even with Kenny Wright only signed to a one year contract) for a couple of years. Wright's contract is the only reason there is any morivation to get a CB this year as opposed to next year... it gives us one year to develop him before he presumable sees more action as the nickelback.

... And if he is anything like Jonathan Vilma we will be ludicrously lucky. The U has produced some great LBers lately.

man you love to hate on me. it isnt that it would be bad if we took a DB 3 years in a row, but it would be a little ridiculous. you think we would have solved the problem in the secondary by now. the chances of him being as good as DJ Williams are pretty far fetched. But I can always hope cant i?

4.6 is a very good speed for a LB who weighs 235 lbs. Not exceptional, but very good. There are not to many LB's in the entire NFL that run better than 4.45's, because LB's typically weigh 225 to 250 lbs. You always have to consider a players weight when judging his 40 speed, as well as his position.

McIntosh ran a 4.63 at the combine and a 4.60 at his Pro Day workout, at 237 lbs. Which are very good speeds.

The two fastest LB's in this draft are Jon Alston who ran a 4.40 at the combine and Thomas Howard who ran a 4.42. Alston weighed 223 lbs and Howard weighed a pretty hefty 239 lbs for that kind of speed. There may be some obscure small college LB with that kind of speed, but without some other attributes going for him, he wont be able to cut it in the NFL.

I know what couch.scout says but they aren't always reliable. You also always have to consider that after a player has been in the league 4-5 years, he is going to start losing some speed as he approaches 30 or beyond. Older LB's typically make up for their loss of speed with smarts and instinct.

The forty speed of our LB's is as follows

Sykes = 4.45 - private workout

McCune = 4.49

McNeil = 4.62

Clemons = 4.64 - which is considered "fast" by Dale Lindsey

Marshall = 4.65

Washington = 4.66 - his rookie combine speed

Holdman = 4.67 - his rookie combine speed

Campbell = 4.73

This why we have had problems trying to cover Brian Westbrook out of the backfield in recent years. An excerpt from a scouting report on Brian Westbrook indicated he only ran a 4.59 at his combine. But he is also quick.

Brian Westbrook

Villanova

Height Weight 40 Grade

5'8 200 4.59 3.54

Three-year starter. Winner of the Walter Payton Trophy, awarded to the best player in Division-IAA.

Versatile offensive skill player productive when the ball is in his hands. Built low to the ground, slippery and elusive. Surgically repaired knee must check out prior to the draft. Poor forty times at the combine more than likely pushed him out of the first day. Late Fourth Round.

Actually he was taken in the 3rd round. :D

Thats why 40 times and combine workouts just make me :laugh: b/c Marcus Washington is our best lber and if you look at his 40 time he is as slow as Holdman.

Guys it comes down to who can play football, some of the greatest guys in football never ran great 40's, Rice, E. Smith, etc.

So I take 40 times w/ a grain of salt, just look at what Rocky's done w/ the Canes and then you tell me if he can play football or not.

Archived