Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the NFL stroking TO's ego?

rincewind

I don't understand why the NFL announced the Cowboys first game. The have only released the games of major interest (opening week MNF, thanksgiving, etc.). So why announce the Pokes first game? I gotta feel if i was a Boys fan or TO that this would just inflate my already oversized ego. Is there ANY good explanation as to why they announced this game?

I realize they also announced the Giants vs. Colts game - i just don't care about that. :)

I

I realize they also announced the Giants vs. Colts game - i just don't care about that. :)

Probably because that's the ONLY way they'll get a Manning vs. Manning game. They wanted it to be in a superbowl, but the chances of either of them making it are pretty slim since scientists have found that the manning y-chromosome seems to have a added gene to it. At first they thought it helped explain why all 3 mannings are good football players. But upon further studies, they found it actually contributes to the rare disease of manningchoke-itis. Only 3 people are affected by it, and symptoms are bad play during big games. The middle Manning has an advanced case where he actually has some form of terrets (sp?) with it where he blames his offense line for his mistakes. :D

TO brings more attention and media hype to the league. It makes all the sense in the world to me.

yeah, but you would think it's only truely newsworthy when it's going to be against the Eagles, or 49ers. Eagles for the obvious reason, and 49ers because he was wearing a 49er uniform when he stood on the Dallas Star.

Dallas played in the National game on FOX last opening weekend as well (At San Diego)

I don't think it has anything to do with Terrell Owens.

Lets say you work at Fox. you have the broadcast rights to all of the NFC teams. You're trying to maximize your ratings.

Washington, New York, and Minnesota are already out. National exposure will do you no good if you use any of these teams: Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Arizona, or St Louis

That leaves the defending super bowl champion Seattle, Philly, & the Cowboys. Take Philly out because they were 6-10 last year.

Now it's Seattle & Dallas. Seattle only has three games against teams that made the playoffs last season. One of them in the Giants who are already scheduled. The other two are Chicago & Denver.

Dallas has EIGHT games against playoff teams this year (wow!). But, two are against Washington, two are against New York, one against Indy. All three are already scheduled. That leaves Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, & Carolina.

A 9-7 team with super bowl aspirations against a team that went 12-4 last year? That sounds like a good idea from a network standpoint to me.

Dallas played in the National game on FOX last opening weekend as well (At San Diego)

I don't think it has anything to do with Terrell Owens.

Lets say you work at Fox. you have the broadcast rights to all of the NFC teams. You're trying to maximize your ratings.

Washington, New York, and Minnesota are already out. National exposure will do you no good if you use any of these teams: Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Arizona, or St Louis

That leaves the defending super bowl champion Seattle, Philly, & the Cowboys. Take Philly out because they were 6-10 last year.

Now it's Seattle & Dallas. Seattle only has three games against teams that made the playoffs last season. One of them in the Giants who are already scheduled. The other two are Chicago & Denver.

Dallas has EIGHT games against playoff teams this year (wow!). But, two are against Washington, two are against New York, one against Indy. All three are already scheduled. That leaves Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, & Carolina.

A 9-7 team with super bowl aspirations against a team that went 12-4 last year? That sounds like a good idea from a network standpoint to me.

But are they just announcing it because it is the nationally televised game?

I'm serious, i really don't know.

But are they just announcing it because it is the nationally televised game?

I'm serious, i really don't know.

Yes, every game they announced will be nationally televised. The US Open final is on CBS that weekend, so there are only games on CBS at 1 pm.

The first week schedule, when released will look like this:

Miami at Pittsburgh- Thu

Every team not announced yesterday- 1 pm Sunday

Dallas at Jacksonville- Sun 4:15

Indy at New York- Sun 8:15

Minny at Washington- Mon 7

SD at Oakland- Mon 10:15

There might be another game or two late that first Sunday, but Fox will only broadcast those games in their local markets. Me (in NY), and most of the Redskins fanbase (in Washington) will get the Cowboys game.....

Yes, every game they announced will be nationally televised. The US Open final is on CBS that weekend, so there are only games on CBS at 1 pm.

The first week schedule, when released will look like this:

Miami at Pittsburgh- Thu

Every team not announced yesterday- 1 pm Sunday

Dallas at Jacksonville- Sun 4:15

Indy at New York- Sun 8:15

Minny at Washington- Mon 7

SD at Oakland- Mon 10:15

There might be another game or two late that first Sunday, but Fox will only broadcast those games in their local markets. Me (in NY), and most of the Redskins fanbase (in Washington) will get the Cowboys game.....

So i was right - it is the only non-offtime game (Monday night, sunday night, or Thursday) that was announced. Like i said - stroking their egos.

So i was right - it is the only non-offtime game (Monday night, sunday night, or Thursday) that was announced. Like i said - stroking their egos.

I would agree with you if they didn't do the same thing last year as well. NBC & ESPN get all the glory here because they have all these games. FOX wants a piece of the action as well, so they have the NFL announce their national game as well.

Off the top of my head. Last years announcement was:

Oakland at N.E.- Thurs

Philly at Atlanta- Monday night

Dallas at San Diego- Sunday on FOX

I would agree with you if they didn't do the same thing last year as well. NBC & ESPN get all the glory here because they have all these games. FOX wants a piece of the action as well, so they have the NFL announce their national game as well.

Off the top of my head. Last years announcement was:

Oakland at N.E.- Thurs

Philly at Atlanta- Monday night

Dallas at San Diego- Sunday on FOX

I don't know - i'd rather go on believing its the NFL stroking the Boys and TO; thus giving me yet another reason to hate them with all of my body and soul. :D

Archived