Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone explain "Iggles"

GatorMarc

Back in 1972, 84 percent of Philadelphia residents (98 percent of Eagle fans) thought the proper spelling of Eagles was Iggles. In a community wide effort, costing millions, the city of Philadelphia came up with the football cheer, E-A-G-L-E-S. Eagles. The success of this program is the pride of the city.

Today, only 28 percent of adults (64 percent of Eagles fans) believe Eagles is spelled Iggles. The feeling is that in 50 years only a handful of upper 700-Level fans won't have yet fully gotten the connection.

Because of the large Italian community in Philly (see Rocky) "Iggles" may have came out of that. Former Eagle TE John Spagnola had a very Italian uncle that referred to them as the "Yiggles" and once that appeared in the newspapers it seemed to become common to refer to the Philly team as such.

I don't know if the "Y" was dropped and that was actually the origination of "Iggles" or not but it was only after I read that newpaper article that I ever heard or saw the term.

I also think ESPN, and especially Chris Berman, may have enhanced the popularity of the term.

Archived