Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Law & Order' actor: I know more about war than troops

Sarge

You don't think he makes a valid point, although he could have found a better choice of words?

Most kids over there don't know what they're fighting for. Most 19-20 year old kids arent exactly keen to most politics.

First, you're assuming that most of the troops are 19-20. While this was quite likely during Vietnam because of the draft, a volunteer Army has a much wider span of ages.

Then you have to remember that a lot of folks are in the Army (and other services) right now in direct response to world events -- they joined as a political act.

Finally, Ros-Lehtinen was trying to make the point to Belzer that she'd been over there and talked to the soldiers in question before forming her opinion. He formed his after reading second-hand reports from the luxury of his flat in the south of France.

The key lines of it all:

Maher: "Yes ... that was over the line and now you're going to lose ..."

Maher: "You're going to lose even me like Michael Moore did when he came down on Charlton Heston in Columbine."

When another smart-ass, holier-than-thou leftist like Maher punks you and your points its a total meltdown there Officer Munch.

Go protect your make-believe world and leave the real-world stuff to people who are actually living it.

I find it funny the same people who feel 19 and 20 year olds are mature enough to decide to fight and possibly die in war also feel those same 19 and 20 year olds are not old enough to have a beer.

:logo:

I've always thought that was pretty ridiculous myself :laugh: :cheers:

I find it funny the same people who feel 19 and 20 year olds are mature enough to decide to fight and possibly die in war also feel those same 19 and 20 year olds are not old enough to have a beer.

:logo:

I've been saying for over a decade: Let 'em drink on base.

Most of 'em are walking "home", so no DUI issues.

And if they get so messed up that they can't perform their job tomorrow, then I bet The Sarge has some creative ways of discouraging it from happening again.

I saw that episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher."

My reaction: I think Richard Belzer mostly hits the nail right on the head. Way to go, Richard! Meanwhile, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen came off like a total buffoon.

i served in the marines in the gulf war I.

i never had a problem getting a job.

i'll just leave it at that.

Archived