Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey vs. Harrington

BD

First, read this latest ESPN report: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2371034

So now you're a team like the Bucs, Ravens, Raiders, or Jets, and you're trying to decide which QB you want to compete with your supposed starter (Simms, Boller, Walter, Pennington) who's on a bit of a hot seat. Who do you pick?

Let's look at their averages, shall we?

Ramsey:

34 games played, 24 games started

480 completions, 861 attempts (55.7 completion percentage)

5,649 yards

6.6 yards per completion

236 yards per game started

34 TDs, 29 INTs

83 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs

Career QB rating: 75.0

Harrington:

58 Games played, 55 games started

986 completions, 1802 attempts (54.7 completion percentage)

10,242 yards

5.7 yards per completion

186 yards per game started

60 TDs, 62 INTs

345 yards rushing, 0 TDs

Career QB rating:

Even with the opportunity to start more games than Ramsey, Harrington has shown very little improvement. In four seasons in the NFL, he's had completion percentages of 50, 55, 56 and 57 percent. That's enough to get you benched everywhere else, and there's no sign of a learning curve on the boy's behalf. Ramsey, on the other hand: 52, 53, 62, 61.

Despite being drafted #3 overall, Harrington still can't cut it in an NFL offense. Out of the three QBs drafted in the first round in 2002, Harrington has the worst fumbles/INT ratio (1.3 turnovers per game); the poorest yards per attempt (not even 6); and the worst yards per game average (a ghastly 186).

Honestly, folks - it's not even close.

BD

superb post. i do think that a lot of people view harrington's experience as an asset, and i also believe the concensus is that he was misused and undervalued in detroit. objectively, i would probably take harrington over ramsey at this point, if only because matt millen and detroit have a terrible reputation for destroying talent (namely, every quarterback or running back since barry sanders' days) that may actually be worth a gamble.

Good point, rvan1. Hadn't thought about the FO.

I just think Ramsey's upside is much better than Harringtons. Harrington can be a serviceable backup, but as a starter has shown very little - Ramsey hasn't started much at all, but when he has, it's translated to better performances than Harrington.

I also think it works in Ramsey's favor that he's shown he can be a backup without rocking the boat, while Harrington has been less than a good sport on that front.

BD

Good point, rvan1. Hadn't thought about the FO.

I just think Ramsey's upside is much better than Harringtons. Harrington can be a serviceable backup, but as a starter has shown very little - Ramsey hasn't started much at all, but when he has, it's translated to better performances than Harrington.

I also think it works in Ramsey's favor that he's shown he can be a backup without rocking the boat, while Harrington has been less than a good sport on that front.

BD

optimistically as any GM, you could say "these guys have upside and potential"... heck, both qbs were supposed to be their teams respective guys for years to come. but harrington couldnt succeed with 3 1st round draft pick WRs, and ramsey got pulled when gibbs came in. some view the fact that ramsey was hammered during the spurrier days as a huge liability, as it has long term effects on the quarterback's confidence and patience (and therefore, accuracy). however, i agree that ramsey probably has a bigger upside, just simply because hes out to prove himself a starter (he didnt really lose his job because he sucked), and hes got a rocket for a right arm.

Instead of worrying about how we're going to trade Ramsey, people ought to be waking up in a cold sweat worrying about our QB position next year if we do.

this is crazy, but i really think ramsey should stay. hes perfect right now for our situation. no doubt he'll be gone, though.

Are we at this again? :doh:

I'll take Jason Campbell taking over the QB position for $200, Alex!

im with you on that too, but so few first-time starters actually become nfl stars-- not everybody is kurt warner, tom brady, or ben roethlisberger. for every one of these guys, you have tons of alex smiths, josh mccowns, chris weinkes, ryan leafs, heath shulers, etc..... not to say that jason might not be good eventually, but theres always gonna be a transition period. lets just hope that his transition period is extremely short, and well hidden with a powerful run game and spectacular wide receivers.

First, read this latest ESPN report: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2371034

So now you're a team like the Bucs, Ravens, Raiders, or Jets, and you're trying to decide which QB you want to compete with your supposed starter (Simms, Boller, Walter, Pennington) who's on a bit of a hot seat. Who do you pick?

Let's look at their averages, shall we?

Ramsey:

34 games played, 24 games started

480 completions, 861 attempts (55.7 completion percentage)

5,649 yards

6.6 yards per completion

236 yards per game started

34 TDs, 29 INTs

83 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs

Career QB rating: 75.0

Harrington:

58 Games played, 55 games started

986 completions, 1802 attempts (54.7 completion percentage)

10,242 yards

5.7 yards per completion

186 yards per game started

60 TDs, 62 INTs

345 yards rushing, 0 TDs

Career QB rating:

Even with the opportunity to start more games than Ramsey, Harrington has shown very little improvement. In four seasons in the NFL, he's had completion percentages of 50, 55, 56 and 57 percent. That's enough to get you benched everywhere else, and there's no sign of a learning curve on the boy's behalf. Ramsey, on the other hand: 52, 53, 62, 61.

Despite being drafted #3 overall, Harrington still can't cut it in an NFL offense. Out of the three QBs drafted in the first round in 2002, Harrington has the worst fumbles/INT ratio (1.3 turnovers per game); the poorest yards per attempt (not even 6); and the worst yards per game average (a ghastly 186).

Honestly, folks - it's not even close.

BD

neither one of them excites most people, BUT harrington had the chance to work with martz and blew it off. that says alot. i think ramsey would do well and he is clearly the tougher of the 2

Oh, you mean we should get Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, A.R.E, and Brandon Lloyd? We have them already. :silly: All is well then, yes? :cheers:

agreed. dynamic players dont always translate to a dynamic offense. what i mean is, lets hope our run game can hide the transition, and our wide receivers can "accomodate" JC with some spectacular catches.

neither one of them excites most people, BUT harrington had the chance to work with martz and blew it off. that says alot. i think ramsey would do well and he is clearly the tougher of the 2

i think theres a difference between "blowing off" the chance, and being run out of town though. i think the latter is a more accurate description.

I also believe Ramsey has more portential especially since people are really questioning his Harrington's work ethic. How can you suck at something you love but not work hard at trying to improve. They have talent up there in detroit. He'll have a tough time finding a starting position; even w/ the Jets.

I personally think we're doomed with Brunell starting. Of course we're going to be great next year regardless, but we need a quartback that has talent NOW if we want another SB win. In this day and age, A.R.E. and Moss could be gone by next year; our window of opportunity is now.

What's the point of picking up the greatest receiving corps possible if you don't have a quarterback who can throw to them? This all may sound negative, but I think we're missing a big piece of the puzzle.

i think harrington would be an amazing pickup and i think with time he would be a fantastic pick up. i feel like his situation in detroit was a lot like patricks here in the fact that neither had a chance to proove themselves. i dont like patrick because he overthrows a lot and it seems like he doesnt have pocket presence i understand that you can say the same for harrington but harringtons offensive line was just awful. i would love to see him here and i hope ramsey gets out. maybe he'll have a better career somewhere else. i cant stand him but i still wish him the best.

I think the general opinion is...

Harrington has had his chances and done anything...

Ramsey has shown potential and not yet had his chances...

I know one thing... If we were taking our team into this season and Ramsey / Harrington were the choices...

I'd say, "Let's go with Ramsey"!!!

Archived