Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting Jason Campbell.. Only 2 Teams EVER Won The Super Bowl With a QB...

Who made his first career start that season...

Kurt Warner/Rams

Tom Brady/Patriots

And I expect to see Jason Campbell sometime this season starting a game...

That's a hard road to follow for the Redskins to be able to win a Super Bowl if Mark Brunell goes down and Campbell comes in and takes over from there...

Let's pray Jason Campbell is the real deal!!!!!!!!!!

Its definetely a tough situation. On one hand, Campbell MUST be developed at some point seeing as how he is the future. But on the other hand, we're trying to go on a superbowl run NOW, and we need a veteran who is experienced in postseason play to be under center. Its a really tough call, cause you know Jason needs to get in there, but the mere rarity of a "rookie" QB winning a SB in his first year starting makes one want to lean toward start Brunell simply because of the experience factor. Im pretty sure JC will be the real deal the question is how long will it take him to develop.

I Dont care if the Redskins win a super bowl this year IF Jason Campbell is the Quarterback. I just want a franchise quarterback.

Touche'

But you gotta look at it this way...

He's gotta be a rookie someday...

Might as well be in his second year because if not it will be next year and we'll be wondering the same thing...

I hope to see him in there this year... :cool:

I think Mark Brunell would be the person to lead this team to a super bowl next season if anyone does.

Mark is a veteran and he is a very smart quarterback that knows what he's doing. If we're going to win a championship next season, I believe we can only do that if Mark puts together one more decent season.

If he plays like he did the first half of last season, we're in good shape.

I Dont care if the Redskins win a super bowl this year IF Jason Campbell is the Quarterback. I just want a franchise quarterback.

Well said. I want someone who we get out of the draft (Campbell) and who we have for the next 10 years. Forever and always a redskin.

Huh? Would you give up the prior 3 Lombardi's given that none of those QB's qualified as "franchise" QB's? Ask Dolphin fans how many would have traded away Marino if it would have meant a Superbowl win during his tenure.

What I want to know is where the hell did the idea come from that if Brunell wins the SB this year Campbell can't still win them for many years to come? You guys are silly for hoping Campbell will start this year. First of all, that's just not how Joe Gibbs operates. He likes to groom young guys for a LONG time. Second, a second year sitting is not going to damage Campbell or make him any worse in the long run. It's a win win with Brunell because he's the better option to win it this year and Campbell can play if he misses time to get some experience under his belt while still watching and learning from a savvy veteran.

Thats the real question isnt it.

How patient are you?

Would you rather see JC develop now and set him up for future SBs , or just have Mark win it now and then JC step in to be the successor and take it into the future?

You have to develop Jason Campbell at some point during his 2nd year...

You can't have this guy, a first rounder, sitting his whole first two years, period...

Thirdly, there's probably no way Mark Brunell lasts all year again, sorry...

At some point he's gonna miss time, probably, and Campbell might take his spot for good...

Yeah, the thing is...he is not in our plans...we want to win NOW...i am not sure if brunell can win the SB NOW but i do no that JC needes game time...but the skins' are not developing anymore...were developed...and thats why its hard to start campbell b/c we wont win right away....

but he was sure a leader at alburn...13-0 i believe

~jake

The matter is that eventually Campbell is going to have to start. I personally think that it should be sometime this year. I really do not think that Brunell has enough in the tank to lead us the whole season let alone to the playoffs and to a super bowl. However, I do think that we have enough weapons on this team for either quarterback to be effective.

Brunell will be retiring soon within the next couple of years and Campbell needs some playing time before then in order for him to get that experience. With that being said, Gibbs needs to get Campbell some snaps in regular season games this up coming season.

Who made his first career start that season...

Kurt Warner/Rams

Tom Brady/Patriots

And I expect to see Jason Campbell sometime this season starting a game...

That's a hard road to follow for the Redskins to be able to win a Super Bowl if Mark Brunell goes down and Campbell comes in and takes over from there...

Let's pray Jason Campbell is the real deal!!!!!!!!!!

how about lets pray that Brunell does not "go down" at all? id rather Brunell stay healthy through a whole season with more than one reciever and lead us back to the playoffs than put Campbell on the field just to see what he can do. or so he can gain some experience. in a perfect world we would clinch early enough so that JC could start the last 3 games. or better yet we could be so far ahead in some games that he could start the second half 4-5 times. that way we could see what he is really capable of because he would be relaxed and on HIS game.

you know how it works most times when a rookie back-up replaces aveteran due to a mid game injury. due to no expectations they light it up. then next game when the full weight of the situation is on their shoulders they buckle under the pressure. not always but A LOT of the time. i do not want our future franchise QB suffering through that.

We got a taste of the playoffs last season! i need to taste it one more time before we plant JC in the key position! just give me that this season.. then let the boy take off. besides this season has some easy games. if we take a nice lead then JC will get to close out some games and build confidence. but i want playoffs/superbowl NOW!

I think you have to go Brunell, but have Campbell ready. To be frank, the Brunell I saw early last year had such zip on the ball, accuracy, while he displayed such decision making that if that guy is our QB we will be in fantastic shape. As the year went on, even before the big hit against the Giants, more than once I turned to who I was with and said, "We can't win a lot if he's playing like this."

After the Rams game I thought we'd get waxed by Dallas if he played that way. And, the Tampa game was painful because he seemed so unwilling to fit it in. We have more weapons which will make it easier. Also, we have a chance to get him fresh again.

As for Campbell, the NFL is a QB league with the cap. If you HIT on QB, you can be VERY good for a long stretch without the talent around that other teams need to compete. Look at the Eagles. Once McNabb showed he could play, the team was able to win at a nice clip even with very average talent around him. Now if you compare rosters we seriously outclass the Eagles. However, McNabb makes everyone better with his comfort in the offense. If he's healthy the Eagles can beat a Redskins team with substantially better ability because of the importance of that position.

If Campbell is that guy in a year or two, we will be a team with a lot more trophies because UNLIKE the Eagles, we won't sit back and do very little to get us over the top once we see the end point. We'll get the rest of the way.

You can't have this guy, a first rounder, sitting his whole first two years, period...

Well, the Chargers did it with Rivers, didn't they? So it can be done. But he'll probably get his chance this year. I think Gibbs will have a quicker hook for Brunell this year than last (if Brunell struggles) because he knows Campbell needs the work. But if Brunell looks good all year, Jason will just have to wait.

Thirdly, there's probably no way Mark Brunell lasts all year again, sorry...

At some point he's gonna miss time, probably, and Campbell might take his spot for good...

Who says he can't sit his whole first two years? You? Forgive me if I take Joe's approach as more legitimate. His history with QB's says it all. I have no clue where you got this idea from and to say that's the way it is, period, is a little ridiculous considering it's been successfully done many times before and that Gibbs prefers this method.

I'll have no problem if JC unseats MB WITH HIS PLAY at any point whether that be training camp or week 14. To say that he needs to be playing because he was a first round pick and that you'd rather not win the SB now so that he can develop sooner is just baffling to me. We couldn't have a more opposite view of how we like the team to operate. Personally, I'm just a little sick of everyone saying we need to do this or that when this or that contradicts what Joe Gibbs believes in and how he operates.

I Dont care if the Redskins win a super bowl this year IF Jason Campbell is the Quarterback.

Winning the Super Bowl is the only thing that matters. The Colts have a franchise quarterback, and they still haven't gotten one. Nobody thinks Campbell is ever going to be at that level even if he does prove to be a capable starter, so we put the whole team on hold to get his him his precious playing time? No thanks. I guarantee you there will be 52 players on the team when the season starts who would agree with me on that.

Archived