Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP article about Skins shopping list

azmodeus13

Redskins' Shopping List Is Long as Market Opens

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, March 11, 2006; Page E03

The Washington Redskins began pursuing several free agents last night as the market officially opened at 12:01 a.m., and also were working to acquire restricted free agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd from the San Francisco 49ers, according to several league sources.

The Redskins were poised to begin talks with free agent defensive linemen, linebackers, defensive backs, tight ends and backup quarterbacks, sources said, and also have been working toward dealing backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey for draft picks.

Several agents and league executives said they anticipated the Redskins would be quite active on the free agent market, and numerous league sources, including some who have contacted the Redskins or 49ers, said the clubs were working on parameters for a deal, but had yet to agree on compensation.

Defensive end Andre Carter (San Francisco), defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu (Baltimore), safety Adam Archuleta (St. Louis) and quarterback Todd Collins (Kansas City) were expected to draw strong interest from Washington as soon as the market opened, and league sources believe wide receiver Antwaan Randle El (Pittsburgh), defensive end Darren Howard (New Orleans) and a cornerback like Andre Dyson (Seattle) could be contacted as well.

The Redskins got under the mandated $102 million salary cap yesterday after releasing five veterans, and still could generate millions more in cap space by executing several routine contract restructurings in the immediate future. The would help fuel the team's free agent spending. Punter Tom Tupa and defensive lineman Brandon Noble, who missed all of last season because of injuries, were let go, as were depth players Walt Harris (cornerback), Matt Bowen (safety) and Cory Raymer (center), moves that were long anticipated. Washington issued qualifying offers to starting guard Derrick Dockery, reserve linebacker Chris Clemons and reserve cornerback Ade Jimoh, making them restricted free agents, and Dockery's offer was high enough that it would require a first-round pick as compensation should he sign with another team.

The team also announced the signing of running back Rock Cartwright, a deal that essentially was completed days ago. Cartwright, a special teams standout, is signed for 2007 and 2008, and the remaining years on the deal can be voided, according to a league source. The Redskins also have been negotiating with starting safety Ryan Clark, but the sides remained apart as of last night although the lines of communication remained open with potential for further discussions, according to Clark's agent, Joel Turner. The progress of negotiations for Archuleta could impact Clark's status.

The Redskins have had no recent discussions with starting tight end Robert Royal, another free agent, and two league sources said Washington is pursuing blocking tight ends to fill his role. Royal has received significant interest from Buffalo, according to league sources, and he said last night that he is leaving all options open. The Redskins have contacted the agent for unrestricted free agent tight end Dan Campbell, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Justin Peelle (San Diego) and Marcellus Rivers (Houston) are other tight ends league sources suspect could interest Washington.

A replacement must also be located for departed linebacker LaVar Arrington, and Will Witherspoon (Carolina) is considered by many to be the best available, although at a steep price. Arrington visited with the Dolphins yesterday and will visit other teams today, according to a source close to the player.

The Redskins were not poised to be a major player for linebackers Ben Leber (San Diego), Julian Peterson (San Francisco) or Nick Greisen (New York Giants), according to representatives for players on the linebacker market. Defensive ends John Abraham (New York Jets) and Anthony Weaver (Baltimore) did not appear to be in the team's plans, either.

The Redskins could add a veteran punter in the coming weeks as well, and are seeking insurance behind starting quarterback Mark Brunell and rookie backup Jason Campbell. Collins worked with Al Saunders, the Redskins' associate head coach-offense, with the Chiefs, and is already well versed running this offensive system. Washington aims to improve its offensive line depth this offseason, too, but those moves are not as pressing at the start of the free agency.

Maybe it's just me, but, I think unnamed sources kind of should be reserved for whistleblower stories or something serious. If you can't get anyone in the league to go on record with who another team might think are possible free agents, why bother :). This is where the influence of television "experts" hurts print media as they are trying to compete with guys who will just talk about anything they hear. At least leave "sources" for confirmed situations, not, something that reads a lot like a message board post :).

Maybe it's just me, but, I think unnamed sources kind of should be reserved for whistleblower stories or something serious. If you can't get anyone in the league to go on record with who another team might think are possible free agents, why bother :). This is where the influence of television "experts" hurts print media as they are trying to compete with guys who will just talk about anything they hear. At least leave "sources" for confirmed situations, not, something that reads a lot like a message board post :).

I thought ProFootballTalk.com had the patent on "unnamed sources"

:laugh:

:dallasuck This is my first post... Honestly I'm not getting overly excited about any of these late breaking "reports" that so and so player is coming to visit, (even with our FO that is known football world round for its annual raids upon the free agent market). I cant logically believe we would get 2 recievers of their caliber.. I can only hope but cant believe it to happen. I want to see carter, witherspoon and R-EL, carter to boost pass rush, witherspoon to sure up linebacking core, and R-el because he would fit perfect as the GameChanging playmaker to not only compliment Moss but to aid our kick return game as well. and in this scenario why would we pay a guy like LLoyd when we have a solid guy in david patten would didnt have a real chance to show anything last year>? I say save the money for Spoon

GOD I LOVE THE REDSKINS

Born and Raised COWBOY HATER GOOOOO SKINS!!!!!! :logo: :dallasuck

Archived