Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your 2008 Uncapped Washington Redskins!

FanofSuperskin!

Hopefully they'll get the CBA worked out, and an uncapped year will never occur. For the sake of fun, however, let's imagine it did happen and Snyder went on a shopping spree. I picked 2008 instead of 2007 to allow time for some vets contracts to expire and give the front office some time to make trade arrangements, etc...... So, in an uncapped 2008 season, what would be your preferred starting line up?

If there is never a cap again, you can buy a couple of star players but you focus on the draft like in the days before we had the cap, the good teams were built thru the draft. You could afford to groom a player for a couple of years before you started him. It gives you good depth at each position. You don't have to buy a Super Bowl and then loose half of your players the next year. You have continuity. That would be my 2008 uncapped Redskins.

Did you guys hear about the restrictions in an uncapped year? Basically the final 4 or 8 teams would be SEVERELY restricted in their options. I don't know of all the details...but it's something to the effect that the SB teams cannot sign ANYONE except their own FA, and the Conf. finalists can only sign one FA. And there are money restrictions on top of that. So an uncapped year would be horrible news for a team with high aspirations.

QB- Jason Campbell

WR1-Santana Moss

WR2-Steve Smith

same OL

FB-Chris Cooley

TE-Vernon Davis

RB-CP (signs extension b/c 08 his contract is up)

You'd go with an unproven guy off the bench, when money's no object and you have guys like Peyton and Carson out there?

Santana's good, but I think I'd go with Fitzgerald or Boldin over Smith, maybe bring in Ward as a posession receiver.

In the backfield, CP is very good, definitely one of the best 6-7 in the league, but you wouldn't want a Larry Johnson or L.T. back there when they are available?

I agree with the OL, maybe a little tweaking, but chemistry and continuity are much more important than individual stars in that position.

If there is never a cap again, you can buy a couple of star players but you focus on the draft like in the days before we had the cap, the good teams were built thru the draft. You could afford to groom a player for a couple of years before you started him. It gives you good depth at each position. You don't have to buy a Super Bowl and then loose half of your players the next year. You have continuity. That would be my 2008 uncapped Redskins.

No CBA = No Draft. If the union decertified, there could be no collective bargaining agreement, period. The draft would then become illegal and be shot down in anti-trust court.

Did you guys hear about the restrictions in an uncapped year? Basically the final 4 or 8 teams would be SEVERELY restricted in their options. I don't know of all the details...but it's something to the effect that the SB teams cannot sign ANYONE except their own FA, and the Conf. finalists can only sign one FA. And there are money restrictions on top of that. So an uncapped year would be horrible news for a team with high aspirations.

That would only extend to 2007, the final year of the CBA. 2008 is wide open. As of this moment, no rules.

We all know Snyder isn't afraid to spend, but Paul Allen who owns the Seahawks is 1 of the top 5 richest people in the world. If you don't know him, he and a friend by the name of Bill Gates co-founded a company called Microsoft.

Danny could get out spent for the best players.

Of course Allen could outspend Snyder, but would he? I doubt it. We've already seen how much Snyder's willing to put out there for coaches and players. Allen's never done that. Plus, while Allen may be richer, the 'Skins are worth more money. Larger market, bigger national base, etc.... Those things will be factored in how much to spend.

No CBA = No Draft. If the union decertified, there could be no collective bargaining agreement, period. The draft would then become illegal and be shot down in anti-trust court.

Good point but I really don't think that the union would be decertified, with or without a cap. The union was here way long before a cap was ever thought of.

Exactly, building through the draft might not work:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351462

"What are the long-term ramifications for the league?

Barring a new CBA, the players either will be on strike or the owners will lock out the players in 2008. The union likely will decertify, and antitrust rules will apply. Also, the NFL draft will go away in 2008 as part of a clause inserted into the current CBA. Players coming out of college could be free agents, with no salary restrictions. Open negotiations, including those for rookies coming out of college, will leave it to the players to get what they can get."

You'd go with an unproven guy off the bench, when money's no object and you have guys like Peyton and Carson out there?

Santana's good, but I think I'd go with Fitzgerald or Boldin over Smith, maybe bring in Ward as a posession receiver.

In the backfield, CP is very good, definitely one of the best 6-7 in the league, but you wouldn't want a Larry Johnson or L.T. back there when they are available?

I agree with the OL, maybe a little tweaking, but chemistry and continuity are much more important than individual stars in that position.

You think the Redskins would be the only team increasing their payroll? My guess is that the other teams in the league might want to keep the guys you mentioned.

We all know Snyder isn't afraid to spend, but Paul Allen who owns the Seahawks is 1 of the top 5 richest people in the world. If you don't know him, he and a friend by the name of Bill Gates co-founded a company called Microsoft.

Danny could get out spent for the best players.

The difference is that Allen would have to spend money out of his own pocket and he is a cheap bastage when it comes to that. Snyder will be spending money generated by the team.

dude please, i beg of you.....don't sit here with a straight face and try to say you truly believe l.t. and johnson are a better pick over portis. portis is the real deal, and WAY more durable than any back in the league. also, he can block like sellers and hit like taylor, why would you give that up?

You guys are taking this way too seriously. We've got a very anxious two days ahead of us waiting to see what happens. I, for one, am sick and tired of going over the CBA implications Ad Nauseum. I'm also sick and tired of seeing fans of other teams talk about how Snyder, Jones, Mara, and Kraft are going to be the new Steinbrenners and buy up all of the talent if there's no cap. I just thought, for fun, what if the other fans were right, and Snyder went that route. Obviously, he's not going to buy every seeing top player in the league. Obviously, there will be other teams trying to get them as well. But, as noted by others, this thread is about fantasy. If you could have Snyder go after any, and I mean any players (sky's the limit) who would you like to see them get.

For those saying this is dumb, and like fantasy football, I say it's less fantasy than all of the current let's sign Owens/Williams/El/Hutchins/threads that have been out there. But, if you guys are more interested in going over Brunell's restructured contract 15 times, please be my guest.

why would we want Larry Johnson when His old offensive coordinator( AL) is with us now???

QB- Jason Campbell

WR1-Santana Moss

WR2-Steve Smith

same OL

FB-Chris Cooley

TE-Vernon Davis

RB-CP (signs extension b/c 08 his contract is up)

?????????? if this is with our money buckets... and if contracts etc would allow it....

QB- MANNING

WR1- MOSS, Santana

WR2- MOSS, Randy

FB- L. T.

FB- ALSCOTT

TE- COOLEY

OL- ek.... no willing to think that much

COACH- GIBBS

Archived