Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line

RIDETHEWALRUS

What I think people are underestimating is the importance of having d-lineman that command a double team. Only Griffin commands a double team. Yes some of the great passrushers can be neutralized but it usually takes 2 people or even 3 to do it. This is what makes blitzes effective. If you noticed when Griff was out our blitzes didn't work very well, because the offense has enough guys to pick up the blitz. If we were to have a DE to pair with Griff we then have 2 guys that would command a double team. This will force offenses to either have to single team good pass rushers which would give us an advantage, or double team them giving us better opportunities to get our LB's, and secondary players running free at the Qb. It will be pick your poison for the offenses. This is what will take us from being very good to championship level.

the best commentary i ever heard on this subject came from dan hampton, the ex bear great.... when asked the keys to winning inthe playoffs and going to the superbowl he answered...

being able to successfully runthe ball when the other team knows you have to and sets the defense to stop the run...

being able to pressure the qb just using your front 4...

think about it. whenthe skins were at their best that is exactly what they did.it won't be any different next year.

strengthen the off and def lines and we are on our way...

I know there seems to be a consensus on this board that we are desperately in need of a DE. I question this logic. The question I pose today is wether or not DE or DT is a vital a need as it is often made out to be. I feel that with the young talent we have backing up our starters we are okay at these positions.

The Starters

Phillip Daniels had 8 sacks this season, and appears to improve every game. he is also a talented run stuffer minus a couple blown plays.

Joe Salave'a is very tough in the middle though he doesn't get to the QB that often.

Cornelius Griffin is one of the best DTs in the game, he recorded 4 sacks this year and 6 last year.

Renaldo Wynn is superior against the run but only recorded half a sack.

The Reserves

Demetric Evans recorded 3 sacks this year coming off the bench. He appears to be very solid against the run and has a quick first step. I feel that he would excell if given more reps.

Nic Clemons didn't do much of anything this year, but he is a physical anomaly. At 6'6" 300 lbs he moves remarkably well. Gregg Williams is very high on his potential and if he learns the nuances of the DE position he may end up being a very good player.

Ryan Boschetti also did little this year statistic-wise. Yet he too has tremendous physical ability. He is listed as a DT, but has good enough speed to be an edge rusher.

I believe that given our other needs, WR, backup O-line, and possibly LB (depending on how the LA situation works out), D-line is not imperative. The likelihood of aquiring a difference maker late in the second round at DE is not high. If we rotate bodies in and out on the line effectively we should be able to sustain a solid pass rush next year. While we only had 35 sacks as a team last year, we were still in the top half of the league in sack yards.

What do yall think. Can we survive and excell with what we have now?

Philip Daniels had 4 sacks in 1 game and the other 15 games he had 4 sacks and when Cornelius Griffin was injured we were having a lot of difficulty stopping the run. We need more depth at DT and we need an impact pass rushing defensive end. I think Daryl Tapp was VT will be available in the 2nd round and will be the perfect fit for us.

#2 WR is a glaring need because it is a HOLE that needs to be filled, rather than an upgrade that needs to be made such as at DE (for all of the reasons state in this thread). BUT the WR need should be met through FA -- while it is exciting for me to think about Maurice Stovall or Martin Nance on the Skins our best bet is to get a proven #2.

As far landing an exciting WR in the draft...keep your eye on UCF WR Brandon Marshall (6-4, 230), he's going to be a steal in the mid to late rounds.

As far as the kind of DEs we need, I'm hoping for a 'tweener LB/DE who excels at the speed pass rush which will allow for a more effective 3-4 scheme. High on my list are:

Kamerion Wimbley FSU (he's the real deal and has a ton of upside)

Parys Haralson Tennessee (explosive and athletic)

Victor Adeyanju Indiana (underdeveloped all-world potential)

Charlton Keith Kansas (the sleeper of the DEs in this draft IMO...he's a playmaker!)

Before anyone says they are too small to be DEs (excpet Adeyanju) remember that the idea is that GW needs more production from his DL in the pass rush...my thought is rather than going back to the prototypical DE size/style, get a gifted speed rusher that can be versatile enough to play DE and LB in the 3-4 scheme.

Philip Daniels had 4 sacks in 1 game and the other 15 games he had 4 sacks and when Cornelius Griffin was injured we were having a lot of difficulty stopping the run. We need more depth at DT and we need an impact pass rushing defensive end. I think Daryl Tapp was VT will be available in the 2nd round and will be the perfect fit for us.

Trapp has soo many knocks against him in the scouting reports that it will be hard to justify taking him. I know he's everyones favorite hometown boy over back east, but right now, he's really not worth a 2nd round pick IMO. I need to see him do some things in the combine and in personal workouts to change my mind.

As much as Ive been screaming for a DE the last few years, I dont want to draft one just for the sake of drafting one. Once you get out if the 1st round the DE dont look all that hot this year. 2nd rounder would be better served taking a S/CB over an iffy DE.

Archived