Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jammer

dynasty???....I think not. When one mentions dynasty pittsburgh and san fran only come to mind. the pokes did well in the early 90's. but they were not dominant teams and they weren't a dynasty. go ahead and quibble over what "dynasty" means and how many SBs that translates to. any ligit fan who has followed football for a long time knows that the aforementioned teams have been the only dynasties. the pokes have a storied, outstanding franchise. but, christ, what an overblown sense of accomplishment. whoops....add miami to the list also. the pukes history just doesn't add up to what these teams accomplished.

Again, Q, this is no opinion. This was Jerry Jones speaking all on his lonesome telling the world what he was doing and then when people said, "Oh, Jerry, you can't do that," he went on the air to tell you Cowboy fans what he really meant was, and again, make sure I don't have this wrong, "I meant to say that if Jammer and his agent work with us, wink, wink, we can get something done."

So, AGAIN, and again if you want, thanks for clearing up JUST what Jones is trying to do even if it's not exactly what he said to the paper until someone woke him from his delusion and made him try to clear it up.

I see every year the strength of what Jones has built in Dallas. He's built 5-11. And 5-11. Trifecta perhaps?

Originally posted by fansince62

dynasty???....I think not. When one mentions dynasty pittsburgh and san fran only come to mind. the pokes did well in the early 90's. but they were not dominant teams and they weren't a dynasty. go ahead and quibble over what "dynasty" means and how many SBs that translates to. any ligit fan who has followed football for a long time knows that the aforementioned teams have been the only dynasties. the pokes have a storied, outstanding franchise. but, christ, what an overblown sense of accomplishment. whoops....add miami to the list also. the pukes history just doesn't add up to what these teams accomplished.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Art

Again, Q, this is no opinion. This was Jerry Jones speaking all on his lonesome telling the world what he was doing and then when people said, "Oh, Jerry, you can't do that," he went on the air to tell you Cowboy fans what he really meant was, and again, make sure I don't have this wrong, "I meant to say that if Jammer and his agent work with us, wink, wink, we can get something done."

So, AGAIN, and again if you want, thanks for clearing up JUST what Jones is trying to do even if it's not exactly what he said to the paper until someone woke him from his delusion and made him try to clear it up.

I see every year the strength of what Jones has built in Dallas. He's built 5-11. And 5-11. Trifecta perhaps?

Wow, Art is short on words. I usually wait for about 10 paragraphs.

Wrong Art, this is Jerry Jones telling the Cowboy Fans what it would take to get the deal done after this year and prior to next years draft .

Whom are these "people" you are talking about?

Are they same "people" who thought that Jerry Jones couldn't draft good prospects?

Guest Goatroper
That was jimmy johnson that did the herschel walker trade to the viqueens and then the S Walsh trade not jerrah.

Wrong again. Jerry Jones cut the deal with the Vikings on the Walker trade. His team, his money, he was the negotiator.

Johnson was itchy to get Steve Walsh, his old college QB, because he thought Troy Aikman was "a loser." Cooler football heads prevailed and Walsh went on to become, uh, the holder for the placekicker somewhere up in the Northeast I think.

Don't try that tired old stuff about Jimmy Johnson being a genius. That dog won't hunt.

Hey Q-Card,

I don't care to through much into this debate, but I will point out the following, any masterful trades that JJones completed long ago aren't relevant to today's CBA.

The current CBA is only a few years old. And even though its modeled on previous versions, the big change in the rules (i.e., implementation of the salary cap and unrestricted free agency) only began in 1992 ... 10 years ago.

Originally posted by fansince62

We-Todd-Did.gif

Originally posted by W&M

Hey Q-Card,

I don't care to through much into this debate, but I will point out the following, any masterful trades that JJones completed long ago aren't relevant to today's CBA.

The current CBA is only a few years old. And even though its modeled on previous versions, the big change in the rules (i.e., implementation of the salary cap and unrestricted free agency) only began in 1992 ... 10 years ago.

Very true.

Wouldn't you agree that it is somewhat idiotic to question Danny Boy's understanding of the business world when he has had great success.

I am just trying to get it through Art's cloud of denial that Jerry Jones knows alot more about football than he ever will.

Q,

That Jerry clearly misunderstood the CBA, by his own foolish quote, and later came on to attempt to clarify what he meant by concocting some special play by which a player would "work" with the team for a "wink, wink" deal is evident.

The Cowboys have not been a very good team in years now. Neither have the Redskins. Fortunately since our new owner took over we've been much better than your team and we can have hope, while you've watched your team fall into national oblivion. I understand you are upset by this turn of events. But, again, when Jones the GM doesn't know the CBA well enough to know that he can't trade for Jammer's rights anymore until after this season is over, just demonstrates a lack of understanding.

But, to be honest, I didn't know this either until our team, and our football people told the press about it when we were trying to sign Ramsey. There just wasn't anyone in Dallas to tell the press the rules when Jones was chatting. It's ok. It's a good thought. I'd like to get Bryant McKinnie and put him at guard. We just can't do it.

Not even if he agrees to no signing bonus because he trusts the Redskins so much.

Originally posted by Qcard

Very true.

Wouldn't you agree that it is somewhat idiotic to question Danny Boy's understanding of the business world when he has had great success.

I am just trying to get it through Art's cloud of denial that Jerry Jones knows alot more about football than he ever will.

JJ may not have been qualified to initially take controlls of the Cowboys (and I think he proved that in his first few moves in the post-Johnson era), but I'm sure he's learned a ton over the last few years. He's not stupid, he's dedicated, and unlike many GM's, he actually played football in college, hence, the game is not foreign or a mere hobby to him. JJ is a maverick owner, and in trying to bolster his team, he's made some great moves and some poor ones ... though I think some of his bad moves (Switser, running the draft) were prompted more by foolish pride then a calculated gamble that failed (Galloway, McKnight).

And as for Synder, I believe he's made his fair share of boo-boos too. Keeping Norv and canning Casserly (so he could install Cerrato has his puppet GM) was the biggest that comes to mind, and forcing J.George & Deion into the equation was probably his second stupidist move. But Danny boy also learns qucikly, and has done well to reinstall Mendes as GM, who's main job, as far as I can tell, is to play devils adovocate and stand up to Danny. That was a very smart move. In many ways, I see a lot of J.Jones in Danny ... and I think Danny has learned a lot from J.Jones' mistakes. In fact, a part of me thinks Danny has opted to put only one hand (rather then both) on the Skins, for the very reason that J.Jones made a lot of mistakes early on in running the show.

As for the CBA, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny boy made a little mistake re its proper interepretation when he offered up Ramsey's name for trade-bait. Something tells me that if Danny knew that there was virtually no way to trade Ramsey outright (given the deadline and that it would affect the Bear's rookie pool), without doing a sign and trade, that he would never have brought up the possibility. Though I love the fact that Danny stood his ground on Ramsey and told his agent to go fly a kite.

fansince62, I think your jealousy is showing through....no team in history has more superbowl appearance, no one has more superbowl wins, no NFC team has more NFC championship appearances, no team has ever won 3 superbowls in 4 years not even niners, miami or pittsburgh. 18 straight non-losing seasons at one stretch, that no other team can match. those are facts, not fiction as you like to do.

Sorry Jerrah --

Jammer agrees in principle to six-year deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

And then there were two.

ESPN.com has learned that the San Diego Chargers reached an agreement in principle with first-round draft choice Quentin Jammer on Saturday afternoon, leaving Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie and Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Wendell Bryant as the lone unsigned No. 1 picks on the eve of their teams' season openers.

The contract is for six years. It includes a combined signing bonus and option bonus of $10 million.

The fifth player selected overall, Jammer said through agent Mike Sullivan earlier this week that he would sit out the entire season if the Chargers did not make a market proposal, and the former University of Texas cornerback was making arrangements with a personal trainer for the year.

The two sides had been close for the past few weeks on the singing bonus, but Sullivan and Jammer were seeking a deal worth about $13 million in the first three seasons, and the Chargers were offering roughly $12.5 million over that period.

It is unlikely that Jammer will play in the Chargers' opener at Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon. The team probably will seek a two-week roster exemption for Jammer to afford him an opportunity to get into shape.

Jammer, 23, was the most coveted coverage defender in the draft and some scouts feel he is the best cornerback prospect in the last five or six years. He has prototype size (5-11 7/8, 204 pounds), sub-4.5 speed and great instincts in the passing game.

In five years for the Longhorns -- he was granted a redshirt in 1999, when he played in just one game -- Jammer appeared in 46 contests and started in 38 of them. He had 195 tackles, seven interceptions and 57 passes defensed.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Archived