Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Listen and tell me what you think.

kevinklein

I don't like the piano part in the chorus, or whatever the part is where it gets punchy instead of arpeggiated. The rythym just feels wierd on a piano, especially without a lot of melodic movement. Maybe a different voicing? I don't know.

I like the vocal melody a lot, and your friend has a great voice.

I don't know how far you're planning to take this, is it something you envision as basically piano and voice with just a few other instruments, or is it something you would consider adding a full band to later?

Nice job.

cool, yeah, I didn't want my comments to come across as negative. That was just the first thing that came into my head. If I thought it was no good I wouldn't have been critical if that makes sense.

What do you mean by the melodic movement in the chords? Are we talking about the same part? The melody is moving, but the chords seem to hammering the same chord rythymically, so that was what I meant by no melodic movement, are the chords changing in a given measure? If so I couldn't really hear it.

By the way I also really like the piano sound you got. You did a nice job of capturing the percussive nature of the sound. That was an upright right? How did you mic it?

cool, yeah, I didn't want my comments to come across as negative. That was just the first thing that came into my head. If I thought it was no good I wouldn't have been critical if that makes sense.

What do you mean by the melodic movement in the chords? Are we talking about the same part? The melody is moving, but the chords seem to hammering the same chord rythymically, so that was what I meant by no melodic movement, are the chords changing in a given measure? If so I couldn't really hear it.

By the way I also really like the piano sound you got. You did a nice job of capturing the percussive nature of the sound. That was an upright right? How did you mic it?

In the chorus the chords are AMaj9, Emin7 and then Emaj9. The 3rd in the minor 7 is moved down a half step (G to Gb) to created the maj9 chord. This simulates melodic movement in the chord changes.

I like the piano and the guitar, your friend's voice is good but it seems to be overly stressed when he hits the high parts. I think it's too slow in the middle - I like when it gets a bit faster after the 2:00 mark.

Nice work either way

It's solid, but don't mistake vibratto for an excuse to lose your pitch. Your buddy's entrances and exits are a little sloppy: he scoops up to the pitches. I'd run it through a Alesis pitch machine and see where he is.

Now, it's solid--don't get me wrong, but I wanted to give your buddy a little feedback. I'd also mix up the piano a bit so it doesn't get too far lost behind the vocal. I wouldn't do too much with drums, but Iggy's the source when it comes to that.

Nice work man. :)

Wow, tough crowd in here. I thought it wasn't bad at all for a basement project. Sure, the pitch is shaky, but even pros have shaky pitch if they're not properly warmed up.

Overall, I thought it was all right. I actually liked the percussive chorus bit more than the arpeggiated sections--they sounded a bit like etudes or Richard Clayderman tunes. I would do a bit more with the vocal melody and add some more instruments to give the piece direction.

I reread what I wrote in light of AtB's post and I guess that came across a little too harsh. I thought it was really good, just needs a little pitch help (and AtB is right in saying that's a problem that even a lot of pros have)--I just have a very sensitive ear to pitch. I'd recommend taking some voice lessons as they can really teach you how to breathe and how to sing far more cleanly and efficiently. These small techniques can make you sound far, far better and don't mitigate your own style.

Just a thought. :)

Anyway, best of luck with your ongoing program.

We simply lifted the top of the upright and put the mic down into the piano. It's a sure SM-58 mic. The mic was plugged into a Tascam 8-track recorder.

I reread what I wrote in light of AtB's post and I guess that came across a little too harsh. I thought it was really good, just needs a little pitch help (and AtB is right in saying that's a problem that even a lot of pros have)--I just have a very sensitive ear to pitch. I'd recommend taking some voice lessons as they can really teach you how to breathe and how to sing far more cleanly and efficiently. These small techniques can make you sound far, far better and don't mitigate your own style.

Well it's not me singing- but I'll be sure to tell Jeff. :)

Archived