Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campell Over Brunell

Fan035

There is a reason Coach Gibbs has won 3 SB titles and none of us are even assistants to the assistant coaches in the league. So, peole, please shut-up. Some of you are the most unrealistic, over-demanding fans I've ever seen or heard of.

If Campbell were to start and lose games (which he most certainly will at this stage of the game) all of you Brunnell haters would turn on Campbell, scream we need to take him out, get rid of him, etc. and then call for Gibbs's head. It really is pathetic.

So is this the same old tired "hey did you win 3 SB's? No, well then you arent allowed to crticize Joe" idea?

Please :doh:

I just want to say one thing, If Brunell isnt the man that is going to lead us to the promised land next year, than more than likely it isnt going to be Campbell. Can any one name a rookie (first year starting) that has lead a team to the playoffs and then on to the Super Bowl?

From a fan view I'd like to see Campbell, as a coach I would start Brunell. He took us to the freaking playoffs and one game away from the NFC championship game. I would trade Ramsey for a draft pick and let Brunell and Campbell have an open competition in training camp.

I couldn't have possibly said it better myself, Hog.

The majority of posts in this thread have truly made me sad about Redskin fans. Joe Gibbs would be ashamed of most of you. Especially YOU, Greek1973. To say what you did about Mark and to have so many agree with you is ridiculous.

Mark Brunell just took us to the 2nd round of the playoffs. He did it with ONE (1) wide receiver on the field for 16 games. To ignore this while assessing Mark's season shows what an ignorant, ungrateful, SPOILED bunch of fans you all have become in ONE winning season out of the last 10 or so.

Pathetic.

From a fan view I'd like to see Campbell, as a coach I would start Brunell. He took us to the freaking playoffs and one game away from the NFC championship game. I would trade Ramsey for a draft pick and let Brunell and Campbell have an open competition in training camp.

Yeah he really took us there. If we had any other QB we would have finished

6-10 or worse. If only the defense had stepped up we would have been in the NFC championship game.

too

The majority of posts in this thread have truly made me sad about Redskin fans. Joe Gibbs would be ashamed of most of you. Especially YOU, Greek1973. To say what you did about Mark and to have so many agree with you is ridiculous.

Mark Brunell just took us to the 2nd round of the playoffs. He did it with ONE (1) wide receiver on the field for 16 games. To ignore this while assessing Mark's season shows what an ignorant, ungrateful, SPOILED bunch of fans you all have become in ONE winning season out of the last 10 or so.

Pathetic.

This post is amazing. If you are sad that you are a member of an intelligent fan base, I pity you. Here is the painful truth. (1) The running game, and defense carried our team from the moment we played win or go home football. (2) The reason we couldn't mount a real offensive attack in the playoffs was because, (in my humble opinion) Portis was to dinged up (do to a long season, and his impressive blocking) to be effective, and we didn't run Rock instead of Betts. Giving us no really viable running threat, so defenses were able to double Moss, and double Cooley. Something they couldn't do while the running game was doing its thing. (3) Brunell has not been stellar this year. Even in the games we aired the ball out, it was not his passes that ran the stats up - it was the athletic ability of Moss, Cooley, and Portis. Running the ball after the catch. Case in point, wants they started doubling Moss, the only time we consistently got him the ball was on quick screens (1 or 2 yard passes.).

Summing it up is this - I'm grateful that Mark managed our offense into the playoffs second round. And I think he deserves to be the starter for atleast the pre-season, and the beginning of next season. But if he looks like the Brunell of the last 4-weeks, Joe has to pull him like he did Ramsey. :dallasuck

Campbell is no Manning

If you told Gibbs that Campbell would come in in his 2nd year and lead the leagues 3rd scoring offense, throw 24 TD passes (4th in the nfl) 3,762 yards (5th in the NFL)like Manning did, he would be starting week 1.

But he can't do that. He had 1 good year at auburn and was blessed with one of the best college backfields ever. You havent even seen him take a regular season snap. All you've seen is some wildly incosistent play in the pre season. And you jock him

Ramsey should be the starter

I just want to say one thing, If Brunell isnt the man that is going to lead us to the promised land next year, than more than likely it isnt going to be Campbell. Can any one name a rookie (first year starting) that has lead a team to the playoffs and then on to the Super Bowl?

Yep.

In his first professional season, Marino threw for 2,210 yards and 20 touchdowns. He was named NFL Rookie of the Year and he was also the first rookie to start at quarterback in the Pro Bowl.

Dan the man.

So is this the same old tired "hey did you win 3 SB's? No, well then you arent allowed to crticize Joe" idea?

Please :doh:

Dear smartestman:

Persuent to brand new extremskins rules, you are not allowed to offer any opinions that did not come straight from Joe Gibbs office, on his stationary, with his signature...unless you are a Redskins Coach...Or assistant coach...Or assistant assistant coach. Or know one. Personally. Or related. Personally.

Fan: One who sits and plays nicely and prays, 5 times a day, to Joe Gibbs. Or at least to a bobble head Joe Gibbs if the real one ain't around.

Pathetic.

I certainly respect all fellow extremeskins opinion but what your saying is whats sad. The reason Brunell gets bashed is by what we see on the field. One wide receiver,injuries,...... none of this has anything to do with missing wide open receivers,fumbling etc... Brunell has great heart and leadership the simple fact is he is beaten up,older,and CANT take a full NFL season like 10 years ago. Brunell would make a perfect backup because when fresh as we saw in games 3-7 he is still very capable. Most of us on hear want success from the skins so for you to rant about JG being ashamed, you are the one who appears ignorant

^^ sums up my feelings on the subject. :cheers:

Pathetic.

Well, Chach...look it this way:

Think of the posters on here who give Mark credit when it's due, don't see it as fitting or accurate to dismiss or insult his play or accomplishments, and in general, tend more to appreciate him and his efforts rather than loathe or degrade those efforts, or even believe that we had as good a season as we did partly because, and not in spite of, that we started him over our other options.

Think of how those people project themselves on here; their posting personas and the types of points they usually make and the type of discussions you're used to seeing them participate in and the style or quality of their writing and reasoning. Take a minute and note their names in your mind.

Now do the same thing in the same way with those whose position on this matter you so strongly differ with, whether in this thread, or on this board.

If after doing this, you still feel pretty good about where you stand, and take some satisfaction with who you have found yourself traveling, then that's important and, for me, encouraging.

Pathetic.

Wow, I love the personal attacks on people for being objective and/or offering their opinion. TheGreek provides an analysis of why it WASNT Brunell who 'took us' anywhere and you talk about Joe Gibbs being ashamed of people like him. What the hell, broseph?!

Why not just say, "God will punish you for your blasphemy!" You'd sound as ridiculous.

I won't address the "pathetic" comment because it's obvious you are way too emotional and you're incapable of anything resembling objective dissection or player evaluation. Some of us feel the SKins were better than a wild card team and shouldn't have needed a 5 game winning streak on the backs of Portis and the D to get there.

Your comment reveals why you are so 'satisfied' with the performance from the QB spot this year despite the horrific or below-mediocre numbers in most of those games. You are so used to bad QB play and average or below-average team performances that you are unable to appraise ACCURATELY many aspects of the team.

JUMBO---

We meet again! I'm sorry, that post of his was what's sad with this forum. So what if he disagrees with TheGreek---why does this become a quasi-religious issue? It's just like the OC debate before Saunders was hired. The people who suggested it got BASHED (Wouldn't surprise me if Chach was one of them but maybe he wasn't on those threads) and then GIbbs goes out and hires an OC. It's hilarious. Or last year with the Brunell doomsday prediction. Everything that is critical is taken as critical of the coaching staff, sometimes because it probably is, sometimes because people are just weird in their idolatry of living, breathing human beings.

NO ONE is perfect. People have often talked about Joey T in 85 vs. Schroeder after the injury. People have mentioned some other things where Gibbs appeared to not be infallible. To be critical or HELL, to simply point out the FACTS about our team this year regarding the QB performance is not some type of sacrilege. Chachie made it way too personal and lost control in that post.

If this kind of debate is too much for some people, they should refrain from taking part. But in any event, PLEASE stop the lame attempts at shaming people into silence or taking ANYTHING critical of a major part of the team as somehow being blasephous speech.

Mark still has a lot of football left in him...His ups and downs this season are the combined results of age, wisdom, savvy, and last but not least, running for his life more than any QB should have to. Sure he's no speedster. I think what Gibbs looked at was that, all things being equal, Mark gave us the least chance of beating ourselves with bad QB decision-making under duress. More time in the pocket is the key there. But, alas, like it or not, we need to bring along a new leader in the huddle. With such a talented group of players and coaches in place, I sure don't look forward to raising a QB ...but if not now, when? At the end of the day Gibbs will make the right call. No Brunell bashing allowed at my house, though. Those two strikes in the first Dallas game made a believer out of me. That guy isn't just a competitor, he's a winner. How sweet it is to sweep Dallas. Thanks, Mark.

Nibbs has sensed a personal attack by me in this thread. I mentioned Greek because his post got so much support. I shouldn't doubt anyone else's "fanship" but I didn't slap anybody with a glove. My overreaction comes at seeing thread over thread about dismissing a QB (that we ALL dismissed in preseason this year, duuuuuuh) who has displayed true leadership, field-smarts, and patience with a developing offense. The playoffs aren't even over yet and our fans are ushering the quarterback to the bench. He gave this offense a chance to make it this far. They caught up with HIM and Joe Gibbs knew that was what was happening all along. The single most important body part for the quarterback is his brain. We've been putting "arms" on the field for 12 years and never had an offense capable of going as far as we just came. Our offensive line didn't gel until week 9-10. Then we lose Randy Thomas, the run game suffers in the playoffs and Brunell is to blame? I don't buy it. That was my reply to the thread-trend and my bad, Greek.

And yes. ONE wide receiver. All season long. :applause:

Hail to Mark Brunell. :applause:

Archived