Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Prospect Dwayne Slay (Video Included)

SkinzFan007

If, and I mean if, we don't resign Ryan Clark, then all of a sudden safety becomes another offseason need. Heres a guy worth lookin at.

Dwayne Slay:

http://condraft.com/player.php?id=2176&cancelSignup=1

Scouting Report

Dwayne Slay was a big play safety coming out of Brunswick, Georgia (Brunswick HS), where he lead his team to a runner-up finish in the state championship. He was named to the all-district team in his junior and senior seasons, as well as MVP of the basketball team. He then attended Reedley JUCO for two seasons, and became an all-confrence player. Dwayne started off slow his junior season at Texas Tech, but he burst on to the scene this year, earning first team all-confrence honors and the confrence defensive POY award from the AP. He lead the Red Raiders in tackles and forced fumbles, and he set a physical tone for the defense all year.

Slay has outstanding speed for his size, and he has above average range. He has excellent straight ahead speed, but he isn't as agile as you would think. His pass coverage skills are only average. He lacks fluidity in his hips, and doesn't turn and run downfield as well as you would like. He does fly to the ball, and he tracks down ball carriers from sideline to sideline. Dwayne is a solid run defender, and he is very comfortable playing inside the box. He uses all of his size when delivering hits, and lets ballcarriers know he is there.

2006 NFL Draft Outlook

Dwayne Slay was one of the most productive defensive backs in the country this year. He lived up to his reported athletic abilities, and turned in a dominate senior year. Players with his size and speed are always coveted on draft day, and I believe Slay could be drafted as high as the middle of the second round.

NFL Comparison

A faster, but less saavy Rodney Harrison

VIDEO:

http://media.putfile.com/DwayneSlay

NEW VIDEO:

http://media.putfile.com/Slayhit

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/p/dwayneslay.htm

Slay is the type of player NFL defensive coordinators love. He makes game-changing plays and delivers the kind of hits that make offensive players think twice about going over the middle. That said, his lack of speed and proven coverage skills are hurting his draft stock for the time being. Slay looks to be a third or fourth rounder pending his performance at the NFL combine. Expect a good showing, and watch as his stock rises.

Ryan Clark is a good Safety and would be even better in a reserve role...I think we could stand to upgrade at SS and either move Taylor there slide Springs to FS and either draft a CB or sign one in FA, or just draft a starting caliber SS b/c as good as Clark is he is limited atheletically and he doesn't make many plays...

While I think we draft a safety this yr, I don't think that Slay is a good fit. He is basically a LB out there. The kid can hit, but he has zero coverage skills.

The safety position is extremely deep this yr, so there is quality to be found even in the 6th rd. A few later round prospects to consider:

USC S Scott Ware

WVU S Jahmile Addae

SDSU S Marcus Demps

Ryan Clark is a good Safety and would be even better in a reserve role...I think we could stand to upgrade at SS and either move Taylor there slide Springs to FS and either draft a CB or sign one in FA, or just draft a starting caliber SS b/c as good as Clark is he is limited atheletically and he doesn't make many plays...

Move Taylor from FS?

Move Springs To FS?

Man, watchu smokin?

Humm, now this is interesting moving Sean Taylor to SS and Springs to FS? I am not sure your reasoning because I would never in a million years even consider removing ST from his wild-man role in the secondary. Also, Springs is no spring chicken if you get my drift. Meaning that he is not as young as people like to think. He does not have to spead and strengh for that matter to play FS. :2cents:

Now, I think Springs will be better staying at corner and we should draft a corner to learn from him. I say since he is not broke at corner then why fix him. Just my opinion. ;)

Archived