Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why did Gregg Williams call off the blitz against Seattle?

Alvin Walton's Mohawk

I have read several posts which have complained that the defense played uninspired football this past weekend. I do not entirely disagree with that assertion- and I guess it is feasible that the team was just plain tired after the impressive run that they put together the last 7 weeks......

But was anybody else as completely frustrated as I was at the fact that we were not blitzing Hasselbeck enough?? The last few weeks, we had been playing aggressive football and creating tunrovers by harassing opposing QB's- with the front four AND through the use of blitzes. Once Alexander went down- I was SURE that we would come after Hasselbeck- and instead we just sat back and let him pick us apart and scramble away. It seemed to me that Gregg Williams was content to let the front four provide the pass rush. Did anyone else percieve this or am I just being to critical about the loss?

We had a real chance to win that game- and although the offense wasn't spectacular- I can't help but think that we weren't playing aggressive enough on defense to take the game.... Oh- and I keep having nightmares about Carlos dropping that pick for TD. UGH!

I have read several posts which have complained that the defense played uninspired football this past weekend. I do not entirely disagree with that assertion- and I guess it is feasible that the team was just plain tired after the impressive run that they put together the last 7 weeks......

But was anybody else as completely frustrated as I was at the fact that we were not blitzing Hasselbeck enough?? The last few weeks' date=' we had been playing aggressive football and creating tunrovers by harassing opposing QB's- with the front four AND through the use of blitzes. Once Alexander went down- I was SURE that we would come after Hasselbeck- and instead we just sat back and let him pick us apart and scramble away. It seemed to me that Gregg Williams was content to let the front four provide the pass rush. Did anyone else percieve this or am I just being to critical about the loss?

We had a real chance to win that game- and although the offense wasn't spectacular- I can't help but think that we weren't playing aggressive enough on defense to take the game.... Oh- and I keep having nightmares about Carlos dropping that pick for TD. UGH![/quote']

Actually, the latter part of the season, we've blitzed a very small number of times. Some of it was due to the injuries in the secondary, some of it was due to the unexpected success we have had in our front four getting some pressure. We were getting burned many games before because of our blitzing nature. And it seemed that the defense performed better after not blitzing so much in the latter part of the season.

Phillip Daniels commented after his blow up in the 2nd half of the season that he was able to get much more pressure since he was lined up more on the outside rather than being squeezed more into the interior. Because we blitzed so heavily before, it was better to have Daniels more to the inside.

I can only remember only 1 blitz in the playoffs that worked to perfection and that was the Omar Stoutmire delayed blitz through the middle on Chris Simms.

hhhhhmmm,

I think everyone was wonering this....ESPECIALLY after SA went down with that concussion. We seemed to sit back..... personally, I would have rather blitzed a little and gotten beat... than to let a beat-up team.... who's playing badly march up and down the field on us.....

oh and i'll say it for you... NO i'm not a NFL coach

did u see what happend when he did send ST on a saftey blitz??? WIDE OPEN...that's what the wr was....i dunno..he was obviously respecting the passing game and well their wrs were doing pretty good against our banged up cbs....

Boy it couldn't be missed...Hasselback took about 6 seconds to audible, and nailed his receiver for 30 some yards. He was making some great decisions on those drives, and that pass underneath Clark was perfect. Hasselback really stepped up...He probably would've burned most of the blitzes. I actually thought the D was stronger without it.

The BIGGEST problem with Greg William's blitz scheme is he tries to blitz up the middle where it is already stacked and our blitzers get stuffed.

This is what happened on that last play where their runner got those killer yards when we needed the ball back.

The most effective blitzes I see are from the edges, but we almost never do that.

To be honest, and I know this wont be a popular opinion, I dont think Greg Williams is that great of a Defensive Coach. I think he has an uninspired scheme, he fails to adjust and he is predictable. Proof of this was the fact he made NO defensive adjustments after the half even though Hassleback had so much time in the pocket he could have written a novel back there. A GREAT defensive coach would have adjusted. Williams did nothing and we got beat.

I also think we have excellent defensive players that make Greg Williams look better than he is. Our defense is great, G Williams is average.

(And please, if you are going to respond by telling me that maybie I should be the defensive coach, just save that idiotic homer crap. G Williams blew it and we lost, period.)

I also think we have excellent defensive players that make Greg Williams look better than he is. Our defense is great, G Williams is average.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but how can you say this?

Everyone thought that outside of Marcus Washington, Sean Taylor, and Lavar Arrington, we had a bunch of untalented busts on our defense.

Joe Salavea? Ryan Clark? Lemar Marshall? Antonio Pierce? Phillip Daniels? etc. etc.

Shawn Springs was thought to be no good anymore. Griffin was thought to be a bust.

Williams had these guys overachieve. Face it, outside of Redskins fans, a lot of people in the country still think we have largely a "no-name" defense.

You are exactly right. WHERE IS EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS? With Alexander down, there's only one person left that can hurt us - Hasselbeck. I'm still steamin over this. GO AFTER THE QUARTERBACK! Did Manning have time, get rattled? Don't let the quarterback dictate to us. We should have dictated to him. How often do you get an opportunity like that. Once in a lifetime?

A grade school kid could have seen what we needed to do. Williams didn't earn his paycheck!

ahem. Just a thought, but how excellent were these guys before they played in Gregg's system?

Theres a reason why Gregg gets paid what he does and why he is so coveted to be a head coach elsewhere.

But was anybody else as completely frustrated as I was at the fact that we were not blitzing Hasselbeck enough?? The last few weeks' date=' we had been playing aggressive football and creating tunrovers by harassing opposing QB's- with the front four AND through the use of blitzes. Once Alexander went down- I was SURE that we would come after Hasselbeck- and instead we just sat back and let him pick us apart and scramble away. It seemed to me that Gregg Williams was content to let the front four provide the pass rush. Did anyone else percieve this or am I just being to critical about the loss?

We had a real chance to win that game- and although the offense wasn't spectacular- I can't help but think that we weren't playing aggressive enough on defense to take the game.... Oh- and I keep having nightmares about Carlos dropping that pick for TD. UGH![/quote']

I think Williams backed off because every time we blitzed, they picked it up and got huge plays. That being said, I think we should have kept with it. Our defense needs to be attacking. I also think it would have kept Seattle on edge and would have started paying dividends for us in the second half.

Moose a former Dallas Cowboy fullback and fox analysis made the same comments that Williams did not adjust his game plan to blitzing. The only reason Hasselback picked up blitzes because it was 3rd down when the Skins blitzed. Very predictable do you not think. The Skins were only sending their four down lineman and playing a horrible zone and that is the reason why the Skins were picked apart not blitzing.

Didn't I read that Seattle had one of the best offensive lines in football? I don't think this was based on running only but included protecting the qb. With our DB's banged up, it seems to me helping the secondary was more important. One or two blitzes that fail can result in one or two touchdowns with Hastleback. He is not a rookie or second year qb that gets rattled that easily. Let's see what Carolina does and how successful they are. As to the "Greg Williams is average" comment, you must be the only person on the planet that believes that.

Archived