Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The way to hear it.....

Ant15fromNJ

This site always has good information and I dont think I have seen anyone post it. http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC%20East/Washington/default.htm

The lack of a secondary receiving option to WR Santana Moss, save for perhaps H-back Chris Cooley, obviously was a major detriment for an offense that totaled 409 yards of offense and, you could argue, only 13 points from the offense in two playoff games. In the 17-10 wild-card win over the Bucs, one of the Redskins’ touchdowns came off a fumble return, and the other was set up by a turnover inside Tampa’s red zone. Even though David Patten struggled early in the season before injuring his knee, he at least provided a second WR option who potentially could tilt the field. And though Patten should be back to form next season, team sources think the team almost assuredly will target a big-play receiver in free agency or the draft, perhaps both. The injury to James Thrash and the disappointing performance of Taylor Jacobs left the team almost completely bare of receivers, limiting what formations the team could use.

I cant wait to see who we get as a #2 WR to Moss. I think we need somone with size so over 5'11 but who knows. Patten will come back and be a great #3 WR hes wise, has good hands and has speed. I know everyone is talking about Eric Moulds but can we afford him? Im sure Gibbs will get somone that will produce.

Without question this team needs another weapon in the passing game. Patten would be a splendid No. 3. If we can get a guy capable of 60 catches or so next year at the second receiver, we will be hard to stop. Cooley's catches will fall in this case but, he'll be available for bigger plays because we'll have more diversity in the passing game.

I'd like to see us get one No. 2 receiver, two offensive linemen, one corner and two defensive linemen who stick on the roster in the offseason. A linebacker may be required as well as safety depending on who we lose. But, in all, we have a wonderful core of young players to augment with the completing pieces.

I'm not sure the height really matters. We've had 6'5" receivers who could not get open (or get open quickly enough).

The big point I'd look for is the ability to separate & catch.

Speed, size...all of that is less important to the fact of being able to separate.

We don't necessarily need a star, just a solid route runner with moves & good hands.

Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard a task to find someone to fit the bill.

We just need a possession receiver. The receiver that can catch the slant on 3rd and 6 going across the middle. We don't need the stud WR, just good ol' reliability and soft hands (aka Joe Jurevicius). We need someone that our opponent has to at least know and game plan against.

HTTR

Without question this team needs another weapon in the passing game. Patten would be a splendid No. 3. If we can get a guy capable of 60 catches or so next year at the second receiver, we will be hard to stop. Cooley's catches will fall in this case but, he'll be available for bigger plays because we'll have more diversity in the passing game.

I'd like to see us get one No. 2 receiver, two offensive linemen, one corner and two defensive linemen who stick on the roster in the offseason. A linebacker may be required as well as safety depending on who we lose. But, in all, we have a wonderful core of young players to augment with the completing pieces.

You wouldn't be referencing Mr. Arrington and Taylor would you? I agree whole heartidly with your post. Just as pressing as the reciever issue is our depth issue at O-line, D-line and Corner. I think draft a D end and fill the corner and WR needs through free agency.

You wouldn't be referencing Mr. Arrington and Taylor would you? I agree whole heartidly with your post. Just as pressing as the reciever issue is our depth issue at O-line, D-line and Corner. I think draft a D end and fill the corner and WR needs through free agency.

Arrington, yes :0.

Taylor, no. I was thinking Clark and Bowen. Clark is a free agent and Bowen just was not used as he may have lost some speed after his knee injury. If we drop two safeties we'll need to look at this position, though, they like Omar to be sure. If Taylor is in any real trouble this becomes the key position of focus in the off season :).

I'm in complete agreement. The question I have is, given our cap situation, and # of picks (not sure, but I know we don't have a first and thought we are missing others) can we fill all these? The better question is, can we fill all these with players who can help us in the 06 campaign?

I'm in complete agreement. The question I have is, given our cap situation, and # of picks (not sure, but I know we don't have a first and thought we are missing others) can we fill all these? The better question is, can we fill all these with players who can help us in the 06 campaign?

Our cap situation is pretty good to great depending on the final number given to the cap :).

No worries there. We only have a handful of moves to make. You hope your No. 2 draft pick fills ONE of the spots you want here. Maybe offensive guard or defensive end depending on free agency. You probably go big in free agency on receiver or defensive end, OR, go medium on both. If you trade Ramsey and/or Arrington you use those picks to fill a couple of needs and sign a veteran QB or linebacker to get you to the next step. We're in good shape overall.

Now you let the leaders take this team over and get guys working hard in the off season while you sprinkle in a couple of the final pieces to get the team as complete as possible.

Great minds think alike Art. I said last year going into the offseason that we needed a possesion receiver, like an Art Monk. To be fair, so did about half the board,LOL. I don't think it's really important that he be tall or anything, just that he gets reliable seperation and has good hands.

I totally agree on the O-Line, although I would add that I would preffer that at least one of the lineman added be capable of playing center. We have no depth behind Rabach at the moment and we all saw what happens when a guy named Raymer is your center last year.

On Dline I'd like to see a guy capable of being an effective passrusher, even if only for passing situations, and a quality tackle for depth, especially if Noble is not back.

At DB a guy I'd really like to see here is Alan Zemaitis from PSU. He's a smart, physical player who's measurables may not be spectacular which could cause him to drop in the draft. I think he'd be a great fit in our defense, and even would have the versatility to play safety in a pinch or in one of Williams strange packages. Harrell from PSU is also a pretty decent safety who plays smart. He could be a later round replacement for Bowen or Clark.

The good thing is that it's much easier to find a legitimate no. 2 receiver than a legitimate no. 1 receiver (which we have). We will still probably keep Patten. We simply need a competant no. 2.

Jacobs was a big dissappointment. I really thought he was going to pan out. I think our defense should be better next year. Lemar Marshall has learned MLB well and Carlos Rogers is progressing nicely.

I think our toughest problem is quarterback. I hope they have an open competition this offseason. It's kind of a weird situation. We have a lot of depth at quarterback but we need a dominant quarterback who can make things happen. Brunnel played well and did that on occassion but I think he's too old to do that consistantly all year.

The good thing is that it's much easier to find a legitimate no. 2 receiver than a legitimate no. 1 receiver (which we have). We will still probably keep Patten. We simply need a competant no. 2.

Jacobs was a big dissappointment. I really thought he was going to pan out. I think our defense should be better next year. Lemar Marshall has learned MLB well and Carlos Rogers is progressing nicely.QUOTE]

I know it was his first year, but I'm a little worried about Rogers being brittle. Springs can still get it done, but he is getting older, and if Rogers can't consistently play 16 games, the secondary worries me a little.

We need someone over 6 ft, more like 6'1-3" at the number two receiver though.[/QUOTE]

You just need someone who can catch. I disagree with a team needing a certain type of size receiver. Hell the Redskins proved that back in the 80's with the smurfs. If they had a second receiver the same size as Moss that wasn't as fast but had the same determination, he would work.

What's going to happen is that we will once again pass on all the big free agent wide outs, sign someone unknown, the board will work itself into a tizzy, say Gibbs has lost it, and like most of his other personel moves end up working out and shut all of the naysayers up....again.

Our cap situation is pretty good to great depending on the final number given to the cap :).

No worries there. We only have a handful of moves to make. You hope your No. 2 draft pick fills ONE of the spots you want here. Maybe offensive guard or defensive end depending on free agency. You probably go big in free agency on receiver or defensive end, OR, go medium on both. If you trade Ramsey and/or Arrington you use those picks to fill a couple of needs and sign a veteran QB or linebacker to get you to the next step. We're in good shape overall.

Now you let the leaders take this team over and get guys working hard in the off season while you sprinkle in a couple of the final pieces to get the team as complete as possible.

Art, damn fine analysis. Just one point of contention, why do we need to sign a veteran QB? I know Gibbs likes 3 QBs and if we lose Ramsey, we'll need to pick up a QB. But, the order for next year will probably be #1 Brunell, #2 Campbell, and #3 ???. I don't see the need to spend any significant amount of money on a veteran QB. Maybe sign someone with a couple years experience at league minimum that would be your #3. On a side note, I see an open competition for starting QB between Brunnel and Campbell.

Archived