Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Race Matters by Cornel West

Thinking Skins

Has the black family ever been intact ? Seems like the same problems that exist now existed back when black families were first brought here and broken up and subsequently sold.

Actually, in the period between the end of slavery and the end of segregation, the rate of illegitimacy in the black population was much lower. When marriage and traditional values as a whole went downhill during the 60s and 70s, they completely collapsed in the black community.

What can one do about single parent homes? This is not the Soviet Union where you can put a gun to peoples head and say dont divorce or Ill shoot.

My mother was dead set on divorcing my dad. Nobody, Religion, or Black leader she didnt pay attention to could convince her to change her mind

To me this seems to have been written by an illiterate:

"...new models of leadership and forge the kind of persons to actualize these models..."

what the hell kind of phrase is that? Actualize?

I audited a couple of classes West taught before he moved to Princeton, and I watched many debates in which he was a participant. He is really good at empty phrases such as the above, and he can rhyme really impressively. His ideas are often pretty vacuous, though.

The most staggering statistic of prisoners in the US is not race, but rather the percentage of men from single parent homes.

Bingo! it's not a race related phenom. When parents split up or never exist as a parenting unit, it's troublesome to children in many ways.

1.) Children feel (and are) more vuneralble.

2.) Single parents struggle just to keep the house going and have much less quality time to spend with the kids, let alone try and make up for the missing parent.

3.) Children tend to feel responsible for the missing parent ie: "If I was a better kid my (missing) dad/mom would love me enough to be here.

4.) The child feels/knows that one of thier parents doesn't love them. This one is the most damaging, and is almost solely responsible for obsessive compulsive behavior, and the feeling of being less than, not complete, not ok, not good.......And right about that time they get told that they are bad for acting out thus validating thier feelings.

Getting back to what Kilmer said, how many deliquent parents think/know that by not taking care of thier kids with thier time, love, and money, those kids will be at risk for failure in society? And how will that child be able to rise above his parent's bad example to be a good parent themself?

You've got to be there for the kid, if the only thing you do is smile, say 'your're the greatest' and 'I love you' every day, it'd be enough. :)

If we could only teach this, we'd be further ahead

What can one do about single parent homes? This is not the Soviet Union where you can put a gun to peoples head and say dont divorce or Ill shoot.

My mother was dead set on divorcing my dad. Nobody, Religion, or Black leader she didnt pay attention to could convince her to change her mind

Not even her kids future. :doh:

The issue is not so much divorce as it is these guys who go around having indiscriminate unprotected sex with women they have no intention of marrying, getting them pregnant and then disappearing or being only barely involved in the child's upbringing, and often times times repeating the same pattern with several other women. It's the hip hop culture.

The issue is not so much divorce as it is these guys who go around having indiscriminate unprotected sex with women they have no intention of marrying, getting them pregnant and then disappearing or being only barely involved in the child's upbringing, and often times times repeating the same pattern with several other women. It's the hip hop culture.

I wouldn't call it a hip hop culture, becuase this has always been a problem.

Maybe not a huge problem like it is today.

I call it selfishness.

Archived