Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guard Situation Yesterday...

Neophyte

I am just wondering why we put Raymer, a career Center, in at Guard for Brown and left Rabach at Center when he has experience at both Guard positions. I mean, we all know Raymer's best days are behind him but why put the man in a position he has no experience with. Why not put him in at Center where at least he is comfortable and move Rabach over to Guard where he played real well with the Ravens? I know there is something to be said for keeping the same Center/QB combo but surely giving Raymer every chance to succeed would have been better. Just wondering if anyone else is thinking this or wondering why this decision was made...

the fact the team put Raymer in that position is a pretty good indication to you that NONE of the other backup linemen are of NFL caliber.

Brown at 43 was the team's insurance policy at both guard and tackle and he came in and played well when Randy Thomas went down.

But depth on the OL is definitely going to be a big issue in the offseason.

Brown retired. Raymer at 33 I think is done.

That leaves us without any backups with real NFL experience.

the fact the team put Raymer in that position is a pretty good indication to you that NONE of the other backup linemen are of NFL caliber.

Brown at 43 was the team's insurance policy at both guard and tackle and he came in and played well when Randy Thomas went down.

But depth on the OL is definitely going to be a big issue in the offseason.

Brown retired. Raymer at 33 I think is done.

That leaves us without any backups with real NFL experience.

I am not arguing this point bulldog. No arguement here at all. What I am asking is why not shuffle the line a bit and give Raymer a chance at success. He has to have a better shot at helping out from the Center position where he has played his whole career rather than sticking him in a spot where he has Zero NFL game experience. And Rabach has to have a better chance of success in that RG spot. Seems the best situation would have been to move Rabach to the RG spot and stick Raymer in at C. Just wonder why it was done the other way.

I am not arguing this point bulldog. No arguement here at all. What I am asking is why not shuffle the line a bit and give Raymer a chance at success. He has to have a better shot at helping out from the Center position where he has played his whole career rather than sticking him in a spot where he has Zero NFL game experience. And Rabach has to have a better chance of success in that RG spot. Seems the best situation would have been to move Rabach to the RG spot and stick Raymer in at C. Just wonder why it was done the other way.

There's a reason the Redskins were on the phone with Rabach at 12:01 on the opening of Free Agency - Raymer is spent. He was getting destroyed last year. Besides, moving Rabach over means that you've got 2 guys out of place AND a different guy making the line calls than has been making the calls all year.

Rabach rightly remained at center. If anything, the Skins need to get a young Guard to challenge Dockery for the start and provide some depth.

You know, I wondered this myself. I think the center-QB exchange may be the best explanation. If possible with the salary cap, I would love to grab Steve Hutchinson, somehow keep Dockery if affordable for depth, then draft a couple of projects. We skated by all year on paper-thin depth, and need to address that. As someone else said, it finally caught up to us.

Archived