Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Might the Arabs Have a Point? ( Pat Buchanan)

luckydevil

http://amconmag.com/2006/2006_01_16/buchanan.html

highlights:

Fully 76 percent said the Americans are there for the oil, 68 percent said to protect Israel, 63 percent to dominate the region, and 59 percent to weaken the Muslim world. Only 6 percent said we were there to protect human rights and another 6 percent said to promote democracy. Asked directly if they believe President Bush when he says democracy is our goal, two of every three Arabs, 78 percent in Egypt, said that, no, they do not believe Bush.
While only 6 percent agreed with al-Qaeda’s aim to establish an Islamic state and only 7 percent approve of its methods, 20 percent admire the way al-Qaeda “stood up for Muslim causes” and 36 percent admire how it “confronts the U.S.”

Favorite news source? Sixty-five percent named Al-Jazeera either as their favorite or second favorite. What Fox News is to red-state America, Al-Jazeera is to the Arab street.

If human rights is our goal, why have we not gone into Darfur, the real hellhole of human rights? If democracy is what we are fighting for, why did we not invade Cuba, a dictatorship, 90 miles away, far more hostile to America than Saddam’s Iraq, and where human rights have been abused for half a century? Saddam never hosted nuclear missiles targeted at U.S. cities.
Empathy, a capacity for participating in another’s feelings or ideas, is indispensable to diplomacy. Carried too far, as it was by the Brits in the 1930s, it can lead to appeasement. But an absence of empathy can leave statesmen oblivious as to why their nation is hated, and with equally fateful consequences.

Nothing new here. Typical Buchanan piece, with the anti-Israel stuff and the isolationist views.

I thought this was interesting:

"76 percent said the Americans are there for the oil, 68 percent said to protect Israel, 63 percent to dominate the region, and 59 percent to weaken the Muslim world".

To be honest, these numbers are lower than I would have expected from the Arab world.

Are we there for oil? Uhhhh, yeah, that's definitely one of the reasons. Should that surprise or upset anyone in this country? I'd like to see how Americans would react if the supply of Middle East oil was cut off or curtailed and gas was $6.00/gallon. We witnessed it to a smaller degree with Katrina. The bottom line is you, me and everyone else in this country is dependent on Middle East oil. If it was ever cut off, it would wreck this economy and cripple this country. Until we find alternative sources of energy, we will always have an interest in the stability of the Middle East.

Are we there for oil? Uhhhh, yeah, that's definitely one of the reasons. Should that surprise or upset anyone in this country? I'd like to see how Americans would react if the supply of Middle East oil was cut off or curtailed and gas was $6.00/gallon. We witnessed it to a smaller degree with Katrina. The bottom line is you, me and everyone else in this country is dependent on Middle East oil. If it was ever cut off, it would wreck this economy and cripple this country. Until we find alternative sources of energy, we will always have an interest in the stability of the Middle East.

Personally Nelms, I think we have no intrest in stability, we have an intrest in INSTABILITY. How could you look at our actions over the past 50 years in the Middle East and say we are intrested in a stable Middle East? By creating instability, neo-cons think we can place who we want into the vacuum of leadership. Unfrotunately, I think they really know nothing about the history of the reigon, or of how society behaves, and time is proving out their fallicy now.

I have NO problems with us being there for the oil. Which I don't believe is a big reason we are there...

I WISH we where there 100% for the oil, I would love gas to be under a buck a gallon again. People would ***** like hell if we didn't do anything in the ME and gas was 10 bucks a gallon. They would be rioting in the streets ****ing about Bush NOT doing anything about the oil situation. You can't reason with those folks.

I have NO problems with us being there for the oil.

Yet I bet you were one of the people who called out everyone else for saying it was a war about oil. Am I right?

People would ***** like hell if we didn't do anything in the ME and gas was 10 bucks a gallon. They would be rioting in the streets ****ing about Bush NOT doing anything about the oil situation. You can't reason with those folks.

Who is "those folks" the people who you complained about when they told you what the war was about 3 years ago? Wake up man!!!

Yet I bet you were one of the people who called out everyone else for saying it was a war about oil. Am I right?

If this war was exclusively about oil, which it isn't, I would have absolutely no problem with it. We must protect our national interests. The flow of oil from the ME is a vital national interest.

We're there for oil?

No ****. I thought we were there for...............for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,damn, you know, having been there several times, I can't think of one other thing in that country that anyone, anywhere could possibly want.

Nothing new here. Typical Buchanan piece, with the anti-Israel stuff and the isolationist views.

I thought this was interesting:

"76 percent said the Americans are there for the oil, 68 percent said to protect Israel, 63 percent to dominate the region, and 59 percent to weaken the Muslim world".

To be honest, these numbers are lower than I would have expected from the Arab world.

surprise? no

upset? depends on your moral compass doesn't it?

We're there for oil?

No ****. I thought we were there for...............for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,damn, you know, having been there several times, I can't think of one other thing in that country that anyone, anywhere could possibly want.

Well, they do have a lot of (our) cash, too. :)

Archived