Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Shlareth leave on bad terms?

bbuzz1962

Schlereth was one of our original cap-casualties, if I remember correctly. He performed very well in the 1991 and 1992 seasons, and got a big-money free-agent contract (well big-money for the time).

Anyone who knows better, feel-free to correct me. That's how I remember it...:whoknows:

EDIT: after conferring with the bible (pro-football-reference.com) Schlereth didn't leave the Skins until the 95 season. However, I believe he was a cap-casualty, and wasn't traded. I don't believe he left on bad terms. I mean, he won a superbowl in Washington!!

Yeah that is how I remember it too. Schlereth was a free agent, no trade, just business, no hard feelings.

My recollection is there were concerns about his knees (whether justified or not). This was back in the day when players weren't getting as good of milage on their surgeries as they do now days (or were starting to get). ACLs often ended player's careers back then. Teams were a lot more skeptical. Schlereth became the new surgery sucess story going on to become one of the most operated-on players. It was a Casserly & Norv move.

Anyone else remember that?

It is impossible to have anything but respect for a guy who won in the trenches and has the superbowl rings schlereth does. It is even more impossible to not like a guy that helped bring the redskins one of those superbowls. He may just see things the way everyone else to see em...just the facts and stats.

But he is missing what our team is all about. We have heart passion and intensity. The players and coaches want this more than seattle IMO and no matter what happens tomorrow we are the better team and will continue to prove it either in the playoffs or in the next few years...soon we will make them believe.

As my football coach once said (and this is a guy who actually was signed by both the bengals and packers in his prime)...this week is going to be like the crusades...we are going to make believers outta everyone, and if they don't believe...well...then we'll kill their asses!!! :laugh: thought maybe everyone could use a laugh but at the same time hear a good quote from a guy who's played at this level.

Stinky was a great lineman for us, but his physical problems at the time of his departure say more about the state of the NFL at the time. The Skins were still coming to terms with the salary cap etc and Stinky had trouble passing medicals. The Broncos took a chance on him and were rewarded. My guess is that Gibbs had still being around and/or if free agency wasn't in place, the Skins would have given him more time to get over his injuries. I guess he might feel a little bitter about the way he left but I would also think he is grateful to the organisation for drafting him anddeveloping him into a top guard. He was a 10th round pick who managed to fight his way through a bunch of veterans to gain a starting job only injury would rob him of.

I suppose he may see himself as more of a Bronco, he finished his career there although he played the same number of seasons with both teams (six) but if you have a family and they are settled there you aren't going to move are you. he spent time doing a radio show in Denver as part of his media work as well.

He has his own website:

http://markschlereth.com/

His bio is written by one of his kids, it's clear the move from DC was a tough one for him and his family and it also states how badly he must have been injured because after the Skins dropped him, he failed physicals with three other teams.

As a media guy, he has to be seen as neutral so I would assume he is picking with his head rather than his heart, I don't see the guy wishing anything against Gibbs or Redskin fans.

And maybe this little piece from an article on his site shows how much respect he has for Gibbs and Co.:

This team has developed a special air of confidence absent since the last time Gibbs took them to the playoffs. There’s a unique bond that develops when a team walks into a stadium with the simplest of game plans: run the ball.

You realize as a player the coaching staff is saying, ‘We believe in you, we trust you, and we know you guys are tougher than anyone that we play against.’

It’s the same feeling I had as a member of the 1991 World Championship team.

It’s the feeling I had watching the Skins dig themselves out of a hole in Philly, and it’s the reason the Skins will prevail in Tampa on Saturday.

I always liked Schlereth as a Redskin, when I was a kid I always thought it was weird he was from Alaska. At the time noone came back from the type of knee surgeries he underwent and he felt the Redskins organization gave up on him after he helped lead them to a superbowl. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he held a grudge against the Redskins, whether he's right or wrong he thinks they quit on him. I still like him though, even if he's more bronco than redskin now.

What are you talking about? Denver is a three point favorite. Denver's the home team. Have you seen Denver play at home before? It's arguably the toughest place to play in all of football. Denver's had a bye week to rest. Their situation is nothing at all like ours.

Sorry, but picking a #2 team to beat a #4 team does not require the same logic as picking a #6 team to beat a #1 team.

Look, I want the Redskins to win as much as anyone. But let's not get carried away with the media consipracy stuff. We should be heavy underdogs this week. That doesn't mean we can't win the game.

Thanks for adding some reason and sanity to the over-sensitive media "watchdog" discussions. We get a lot of undeserved disrespect since Snyder took over, but some folks really get carried away with it.

My pick is the only one that counts, and I pick The Skins by 10. HTTR

well, truthfully you are only off by one. :D the closer it gets to 4pm, the more my normally busy life grinds to a halt for all things Redskins.

without these commentator jobs, what would any of these guys do?

Archived