Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maske: Skins-Hawks winner will go to SB

Posse81

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nfl/longterm/2005/postseason/second_round/postseason_week2_picks.html

Redskins at Seahawks

Can the Redskins win? Sure, it's possible. They're on a big-time roll and, as often happens when a team is in a good groove, they got all the breaks last weekend in Tampa. But will they win? It's a long shot. This is a mighty tough assignment. As a franchise, the Seahawks haven't exactly been a playoff juggernaut. But this is an excellent team that's playing at home and coming off a bye that enabled it to get healthier. That's usually a winning formula in the NFL playoffs. Under the current postseason format, the NFC's top seed is 15-0 in this round of the playoffs. No sixth seed ever has advanced to the NFC title game. But it says here that the winner of this game, even if it's the Redskins, goes to the Super Bowl.

Pick: Seahawks

The current playoff format has a history of 15 years. 15 years. Not exactly a statistically significant amount of time in which to draw many conclusions from the seedings. This is especially true given the fact that some of this history covers pre-cap years when the disparity between the best and worst in the playoffs was much greater. And even when the cap came about, there still wasn't a big push for parity until much later.

One more thing to note: if the 'Skins win the Tampa game, they go from a number six seed to a number two seed. So, look at how you want to.

If the Hawks are gonna think that they're gonna have some history on their side, they'd better look again. And if Maske's gonna draw on some history going back 15 years, why not go back just a few to see how Hasselbeck and Alexander fold in playoff games.

And if Maske's gonna draw on some history going back 15 years, why not go back just a few to see how Hasselbeck and Alexander fold in playoff games.
Why not go back just one year to where the Redskins were 6-10?
Its the seahawks, they can't win usually winable games late in the season.
And you base this on... ? If you're basing it on previous years, you're not dealing with reality. This year, the Seahawks are a different team, just like the Redskins are a different team.

It's just my opinion, but I think going back any farther than the current season is usually an exercise in futility/stupidity, unless there is a compelling reason for it.

The only history that counts is the history that the team makes this year, nothing else matters, this team can do this, it has the character and want the soul and heart, and it has Joe Gibbs, and Portis and Moss and Daniels and Washington and Arrington and Taylor, as well as Cooley and Betts and the rest of the Burgundy and Gold warriors, this team will make history this year, it sure is playing well enuff.

And you base this on... ? If you're basing it on previous years, you're not dealing with reality. This year, the Seahawks are a different team, just like the Redskins are a different team.

It's just my opinion, but I think going back any farther than the current season is usually an exercise in futility/stupidity, unless there is a compelling reason for it.

Just curious...Why do you hang out here? I have noticed you have been here for a while. So you are not a new troll for the upcoming game. So why, if you are a Seahawks fan, do you choose to come here?

I agree with you. I don't believe in the history of teams. They have a different coach from years past (well, years WAY past), and the Seahawks look about as good as they can right now. However, I think Holmgren is an idiot (in relative terms, he is an NFL head coach, so he's not stupid). He makes poor decisions at terrible points in a game. However, he got the Seahawks to 13-3, so I guess he can't be all that bad............

Archived