Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins Teams Since 1971:rank Them

Frediemac

If the Skins Beat the Seahawks then they might be considered the 6th Best Skins Team since 71

This is my Rankings of the Redskins Teams Since 1971

RATING BY BEST REDSKINS TEAM EVER

1991 Coach: Joe Gibbs 14-2 3-0 WON World Champions, NFC Champions, NFC EAST Beat Falcons, Lions, Bills in Super Bowl XXVI

1982 Coach: Joe Gibbs 8-1 4-0 WON World Champions, NFC Champions, NFC EAST Beat Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII

1987 Coach: Joe Gibbs 11-4 3-0 WON World Champions, NFC Champions, NFC EAST Beat Bears, Vikings, Broncos in Super Bowl XXII

1983 Coach: Joe Gibbs 14-2 2-1 Lost NFC Champions, NFC EAST Beat Rams, 49ers, Lost to Raiders Super Bowl XVIII If Not For Losing SB XVIII The Greatest of All-TIME

1972 Coach: George Allen 11-3 2-1 NFC Champions, NFC EAST Beat Packers, Cowboys, Lost to Dolphins in Super Bowl VII

1986 Coach: Joe Gibbs 12-4 2-1 WC Beat Rams, Bears, Lost to Giants -------LOST NFC CHAMPIONSHIP----------

1984 Coach: Joe Gibbs 11-5 0-1 NFC EAST Lost to Bears After Bye Lost in 2nd Round

2005 Coach: Joe Gibbs 10-6 1-0 WC Beat Buccaneers, ???SEAHAWKS :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

1990 Coach: Joe Gibbs 10-6 1-1 WC Beat Eagles, Lost to 49ers

1979 Coach: Jack Pardee 10-6 ---- One of the Best Redskins Teams Ever (No Playoffs) -------Just Missed Getting Number One Seed--------- 1st Team to EVER win 10 Games and MISS PLAYOFFS

1973 Coach: George Allen 10-4 0-1 WC Lost to Vikings

1974 Coach: George Allen 10-4 0-1 WC Lost to Rams

1976 Coach: George Allen 10-4 0-1 WC Lost to Vikings

1999 Coach: Norv Turner 10-6 1-1 WC Beat Lions, Lost to Buccaneers

1992 Coach: Joe Gibbs 9-7 1-1 WC Beat Vikings, Lost to 49ers

1971 Coach: George Allen 9-4-1 0-1 WC Lost to 49ers

1989 Coach: Joe Gibbs 10-6 ---- -------Just Missed The Playoffs--------- 3rd Team to EVER win 10 Games and MISS PLAYOFFS

1985 Coach: Joe Gibbs 10-6 ---- 2nd Team to EVER win 10 Games and MISS PLAYOFFS

1977 Coach: George Allen 9-5 ---- JUST Missed the playoffs (Many Injuries)

1975 Coach: George Allen 8-6 ---- -------Got Screwed on the Mel Grey Catch---------

1978 Coach: Jack Pardee 8-8 ---- STARTED SEASON 6-0!!!!---Started Season With Many NEW Players

1996 Coach: Norv Turner 9-7 STARTED OFF 7-1 AND FINISHED 2-6 Missed the Playoffs

The problem with the '83 team is they weren't balanced. They were like the 2000 Rams before Warner broke his thumb or the 98 Vikings before Randy Moss choked in the playoffs- incredible offense, but weak D, thanks to a ton of injuries in the secondary, and Darrell Green only being a rookie. They used to call the secondary the bomb squad because everyone could throw deep on us.

It's hard to rank them. But I like the 1992 Redskins better than the 1983 Redskins simply because we won the Super Bowl. We should have won it in 1983, but didn't.

1979 Redskins 10-6(Good team, but not great)

1982 Redskins 8-1(Stuck together during strike season and won SB)

1983 Redskins 14-2(lost both games by a total of two points)

1986 Redskins 12-4(Could have been the SB champion but fell short)

1987 Redskins 11-4(SB Champs!

1991 Redskins 14-2(the best by far)

1996 Redskins 9-7(started off 7-1 and finished 2-6)

2005 Redskins 10-6(This is a very, very good team)

It's hard to rank them. But I like the 1992 Redskins better than the 1983 Redskins simply because we won the Super Bowl. We should have won it in 1983, but didn't.

1979 Redskins 10-6(Good team, but not great)

1982 Redskins 8-1(Stuck together during strike season and won SB)

1983 Redskins 14-2(lost both games by a total of two points)

1986 Redskins 12-4(Could have been the SB champion but fell short)

1987 Redskins 11-4(SB Champs!

1991 Redskins 14-2(the best by far)

1996 Redskins 9-7(started off 7-1 and finished 2-6)

2005 Redskins 10-6(This is a very, very good team)

As you could see I listed the 79 Team up there with the best even though they just missed the Playoffs. They almost got home field all the way thru the Playoffs that year. Damn that Staubauch, I celebrated his retirement. :laugh:

The 1982-83 Redskins were a solid team with an unstoppable RB in John Riggins. The 'Skins rode the Diesel all the way to their first SB victory.

The 1983-84 Redskins had a +45 turnover ratio in the regular season...a record that still stands to this day. It is hard to believe they got blown out 38-9 in SB XVIII...something stinks about that loss.

It took "the quarter" in SB XXII to erase the pain of SB XVIII...by halftime in SB XXII, all I felt was laughter and joy!

However, the most dominant Redskins team all around was definitely the 1991-92 'Skins...they played at a level so far above most of the rest of the NFL that year, you just knew they were going to the SB by Week 10, and you knew they were going to play the Bills, who were totally dominating the AFC that year. SB XXVI was also the first SB won by the 'Skins in a non-strike season. The Redskins could have gone undefeated that year, but for a narrow loss against Dallas and a loss to Philly in a meaningless game in the last week of the season.

Let's make it LOMBARDI #4 this year!!! HTTR!!! :cheers:

There's no way the '83 team isn't first or second in this deal (with '91 in the other spot). Despite losing the big one, they set a ton of records and were as dominant as any team could be. They were something like +43 in turnovers, which I doubt any of us will live to see broken.

Have to agree with this...and that to ratio is correct. Also, the two games they lost were both by 1 point...to Dallas and G.B.

1991 is the greatest team I have rooted for in any sport. I agree they are #1. If not for the Dallas hail mary at the end of the first half in our 12th game, we would have gone into a dreary Philly 15-0 and would have won that game for sure. At 14-1 we were in serious Indy Vs. Arizona mode.

I always defend that team when people talk about the greatest teams ever. I'm sick of the 85' Bears!

you are crazy to think that the 86 skin team could have won the superbowl--Jay Schroader was not a very good QB, and our running game was weaker that year.

83 team was awesome--#2 in my opinion--we could just destroy opposing teams. no one could stop us. the raiders game was all about the blocked punt and momentum. we didn't have a chance after the first quarter

The 1991 team is BY FAR the best Redskins team ever. The 1991 team won 11 straight gams to beging the year and lost only 2--a walkoff FG at Dallas and in OT against Philly in the final week of the season when every starter was sitting. The 1991 Skins, not the '85 Bears or the '98 Broncos or the '05 Colts were the closest team to pulling off the first 16-0 regular season ever. In the NFC playoffs, the two teams we faced were teams we had both beaten in the regular season by a combined score of 101-17!!! We ended our NFC run by beating the 12-4 Lions 41-10 (after beating them 45-0 in the season opener). In terms of stats, we led the NFL in points scored and were 2nd best in points againt. We flat out DOMINATED the league that year. For God's sake, it took opposing teams FOURTEEN QUARTERS to score a single point on us at home to begin the season. That's insane!!!! And although the Superbowl XXVI score (37-24) doesnt seem like a massive blowout, we were up on an extremely good 13-3 Bills team 24-0 in the 3rd quarter before they got some garbage time points.

This one isnt close, IMO. That 1983 offense could score like few others, but the 1991 team was balanced beyond belief.

The problem with the '83 team is they weren't balanced. They were like the 2000 Rams before Warner broke his thumb or the 98 Vikings before Randy Moss choked in the playoffs- incredible offense, but weak D, thanks to a ton of injuries in the secondary, and Darrell Green only being a rookie. They used to call the secondary the bomb squad because everyone could throw deep on us.

The defense in 1983 actually wasn't that bad. They were something like 7th or 8th in points allowed and were #1 in rush defense. They gave up a lot of passing yards because the Skins were always so far ahead that teams had no choice but to pass. They also had 34 interceptions.

IMO here is how I would rate them:

I just looked up some stats on the 1991 team, and theres no way they arent #1 and maybe the best team of all time. Started 11-0, only lost two games by a COMBINED 5 points, one in OT and one with all the starters sitting.. They were by FAR the #1 team in scoring and were #2 for fewest points allowed. Then they blew through the playoffs, winning 24-7, 41-10, and 37-24... Pretty damn impressive.

But for those of you that might not be old enough to remember:

The 79 Team was the 1st Team to Win 10 Games and NOT make the Playoffs-That Team was Awesome except for Roger the Dodger could have been in the SuperBowl. The 85 Team was the 2nd Team to Win 10 Games and NOT make the Playoffs, and of course The 89 Team was the 3rd Team etc etc etc... So that Led to the NFL Installing the 2nd WILD CARD TEAM. :laugh:

91' team best ever! I'll bet Gibbs would agree...

:logo:

That whole 1991-92 season was magical... I had the opportunity to go to the Lions/Redskins playoff game in RFK, being from Michigan I would have flown to DC on a charter with a bunch of lion fans... My wife was expecting our first child which was due the weekend of the game... I stayed home, but my daughter was dressed in Redskin gear for the SB against the bills!!!

A great year!

1991 team was the best!

That whole 1991-92 season was magical... I had the opportunity to go to the Lions/Redskins playoff game in RFK, being from Michigan I would have flown to DC on a charter with a bunch of lion fans... My wife was expecting our first child which was due the weekend of the game... I stayed home, but my daughter was dressed in Redskin gear for the SB against the bills!!!

A great year!

1991 team was the best!

Maybe you will get to see the Skins again in February up there in Michigan :laugh: :cheers:

Ok Seashells, let's see you start a thread like this at your board.

(the one with the locked door)

Oh, wait...I forgot you don't have a history....worth mentioning

I have to go with '83. First, cause I was there, and watched the news as some 5000 Raiders fans welcomed home their team, while thousands and thousands brought home the Skins, and I'll never forget the "We still love you" banners.

Their ain't no fan like a Redskin fan.

I think when ESPN ranked the greatest teams of all time the 1991 Skins Superbowl team finished in the top 3 all time. That team achieved some great things.

1. Points scored -- Skins were #1 that season

2. Points allowed -- Skins were top 5 that season

Avg. Margin of victory was out standing

Strength of Schedule. Skins that season was 6-2 against playoff teams.

Skins had a top 10 defense, I think it was in the top five as a matter of fact.

Sacks allowed, I think the Skins still own the NFL record for like 9 or 11. Keep in mind the Dolphins had some outstanding offensive lines that didn't allow many sacks but they never led the NFL in rushing as a team while only giving up 11 sacks. That was the greatest performance by an offensive line ever to me for one season.

Sacks given out. Skins had over 50 sacks as a team.

Very underated Defense. Shut out 3 of their first 5 opponents. Philly and Detroit being 2 of them. Playoff squads. That arguably was Detroit's best ever team at 12-4. Shut Philly out 23-0 on Monday night. That Philly team had the late greats Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Seth Joyner, Randall Cunningham amongst others.

1st in rushing as a team with Byner and Ricky Ervins.

Lost 2 games by a combined 5 points.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that team had 3 1000 yd WR's.

Archived