Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Slant?

Skins11

I don't believe we have seen many slants from the Skins recently. The last time I remember us actually throwing a slant was the Giants game, in which Moss ran a quick slant but Ramsey threw the ball behind him. Is this because defenders have been playing close to the line against us?

In general, we haven't seen Brunell throw to receivers that are going across or toward the middle. However, Moss killed the Seahawks in overtime by doing just that.

We tried some slants against the Eagles with Moss and he was well covered.

It's hard for us to run slants with only 2 recievers in the line up.

If you use a trips right/left formation it's easier to clear out the defenders for the slant across the middle.

why does Gibbs only throw outside the numbers instead of between of them?

is this because of a limited number of WRs in the routes, that sideline catches help neutralize safties?

You only run the slant when the Defense is blitzing. That kills a blitzing defense. A linebacker zone coverage defense or press coverage would be force it to be intercepted.

The last time we tried to run the slant, it got intercepted by Blackburn and taken in for a touchdown. That's probably why we don't do it anymore.

With Brunell being as inaccurate as he has been recently - overthrowing/throwing behind, etc. I think the slant would be a bad route for someone line santana to run, particuarly if the ball isn't hitting him in the numbers. If someoen of Santana's stature has to expose himself across the middle with a misthrown ball, it could be seasons over for him.

I'll keep the deep outs and fly routes, comebacks, and WR screens where we get the ball in his hands away from the LB's, and let him muscle it up with the CB's.

I like that screen play more than anything. How many times have we seen Santana Moss racing down the sideline thanks to that play? Seems to get us good yards or a score every time. The only time I saw it defended was last week, I believe. No way the Seahawks have that kind of talent to defend it.

Archived