Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daly and Wise wrong on Gibbs

Rob1

Why do we bother reading these guys, other than an addiction to all things Redskin?

Daly alleges that Gibbs has changed as evidenced by his unending patience with Taylor. Rememer Dexter, Daly? Holdouts, wild baiting of opponents in the press (e.g. - "I'm gonna bite Danny White's head off"), cocaine? And what about Riggo, Daly? "Loosen up, Sandy baby!" followed by passing out under the table, etc., etc., etc? And although Manley and Riggo have ridden roller coaster lives, I'm sure both feel nothing but gratitude, respect, and affection for their old coach. Taylor's only 23 and makes millions of dollars to dish out punishment, which he obviously enjoys; how many of us would really be able to handle that without some transgressions? Get over it! He allegedly spit in a convicted (I'm pretty sure) wife-beater's face. Calm down, Daly.

Wise "praises" Gibbs by writing that IF the Skins beat Seattle, Gibbs will be invited into the hallowed "pantheon" of the greatest coaches ever. Earth to Wise? The Hall of Fame is calling - Gibbs is already in it! Three super bowls with an assortment of lunch bucket (Monte Coleman), end of carreer (Doug Williams), never really should have had a carreer (Schraeder, Rypien), and flash in the pan guys (Timmy Smith). Wise, why does Shula get a pass on about 20 years of mediocrity (mostly in a weak AFC) following his super bowls, and Gibbs get written off after one inherited losing season?

Wise, Daly and especially Czaban all have some sort of personality disorder. They continue to question Joe’s integrity even though most people that know Gibbs well feel that this is one of the strongest components of his personality. Most people tend to see others as they see themselves. This is the only thing I can figure.

I've personnally stopped going to the Post website and reading the Post, and will continue until they either fire certain sports journalists, or people like Wise and Jenkins change their stance on the Redskins. I got tired of paying a newspaper good money to read anti-Redskin propaganda.

If they anger you as much as they do me may I suggest boycotting the Post as I have done and E-Mail them the reason(s) as to why you cancelled your subscription or refuse to visit their web page. I know one person won't effect the Post stance of employeeing anti-Redskin journalists but if the masses do then change will take effect rather quickly.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Funny but I liked the Wise article and thought it was right on. Face it, when you talk about great coaches in the NFL there is Vince, Don, Tom and everyone else. Even Gibbs is on the step below. I do think he is knocking at the door though. I think he has out distanced Walsh, Noll and Parcells to leave himself on that second plateau all alone.

Wise is not talking about getting into the HoF, there are a lot of coaches there. Wise is talking about being one of the legends of the game, so much so that when talking about great coaches and you say "Joe", everyone will know exactly who you are talking about just as they do when you say "Vince". He is talking about fans from other teams having the same respect for our Coach that we have.

Give Wise a break. This was a good article and does not deserve the bashing it is getting here. Not all things Post are bad just because they are Post. Stop loosing track of the message and throwing it out because you don't like the messenger. Geez.

Yeah, I saw the article by Wise today, and thought it rather strange.

IF Gibbs beats Seattle, he will be one of the top three coaches? I actually understand if he is not now, but how then will beating Seattle vault him to the top? Wise's arguement would have been better had he said a Super Bowl title was the requirement. Didn't really understand that one.

Funny but I liked the Wise article and thought it was right on. Face it, when you talk about great coaches in the NFL there is Vince, Don, Tom and everyone else. Even Gibbs is on the step below. I do think he is knocking at the door though. I think he has out distanced Walsh, Noll and Parcells to leave himself on that second plateau all alone.

Wise is not talking about getting into the HoF, there are a lot of coaches there. Wise is talking about being one of the legends of the game, so much so that when talking about great coaches and say Joe, everyone will know exactly who you are talking about just as they do when you say Vince. He is talking about fans from other teams having the same respect for our Coach that we have.

Give Wise a break. This was a good article and does not deserve the bashing it is getting here. Not all things Post are bad just because they are Post. Geez.

The fact that Gibbs doesn't have the publicity as some other coaches is a ridiculous argument for not considering Gibbs an all time great. Don Shula went decades, as in 20 years, after winning his last SB and then retiring, and he did have a lot of talent in that span. Tom Landry coached longer and has one less ring, same with Parcells who I believe both get more love then Gibbs. Walsh gets more praise then Gibbs but Walsh had a ton of HOFers he coached. Gibbs did more with less talent then any other great coach and the fact that Wise wastes people time by tring to say this win will elevate Joe Gibbs status within the NFL, shows that he knows nothing about the game of football and is nothing more then a shock journalist.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Wise is not talking about getting into the HoF, there are a lot of coaches there. Wise is talking about being one of the legends of the game, so much so that when talking about great coaches and you say "Joe", everyone will know exactly who you are talking about just as they do when you say "Vince". He is talking about fans from other teams having the same respect for our Coach that we have.

Give Wise a break. This was a good article and does not deserve the bashing it is getting here. Not all things Post are bad just because they are Post. Stop loosing track of the message and throwing it out because you don't like the messenger. Geez.

Shula (as I stated earlier) and Landry both had extended periods of mediocrity, or worse, in the final years of their carreers.

Further, they both benefited from a nationwide media-induced "cult of personality" ("legends" as you put it) from which Gibbs did not. That's partly why people like Wise probably actually dislike Gibbs, because he is so unassuming and plain "vanilla"like on the surface, that they can't understand, or therefore properly discuss in a column, how he can get players to rise above even their own potentials. Although Noll won four super bowls, he was likewise vanilla, and I suspect that's why he's not on your list of "legends".

Although I don't like to admit it, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Parcells and Walsh, either, as I believe both of them beat Gibbs-coached teams in most of their head-to-head matchups.

Finally, too bad Vince's tenure with the Skins was so sorrowfully short.

Archived