Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Salary Cap Issues

hitmandm

The LaVar issues and the cap is a funny one to me. Yes, LaVar is due 12.5 million against cap space next year, which is alot. There are 3 issues that complicate this matter.

1. Our Dead Cap space for 2005 is 20 million. That means we have 20 million of out salary cap being taken up by players,like Coles, who are not on the team. This essentially goes to 3.5 million in 2006, at the moment. We will free up 16.5 million in cap space just by having players fall off the books. This makes keeping Arrington more manageable.

2. Although his 2006 Cap number is 12.0 mil, if we cut him it will cost us 12.5 mil. We save very little in terms of cap sapce. In real dollars, yes, but who acres about that.

3. But from point 2, the next logical conterpoint is that we will save is cap space for the next few years because he is gone. The funny thing is, unlike most circumstances, LaVar's cap number goes down in 2007 to 6.5 mil and in 2008 to 9 mil. Its not until 2009 when his cap is 11 mil that it becomes a real burden then, but who knows what the Cap will be then anyway.

The point is that Arrington, if the coaches believe he can be an impact player, will be on the team next year. I think he will ahve to re-negotiate his contract, but even if he didn't, I think we would be able to keep him without sacraficing alot for the football team.

A lot depends on what happens with the CBA. The clock's ticking on that. If no new CBA is in place 2007 becomes an uncapped year and many interesting things could happen. But with 2007 being an uncapped year, teams can't cut players after June 1 and apply part of the salary cap hit against the next year (i.e. 2007), which limits our options with Arrington. We could save some money if he'd be willing to convert his upcoming roster bonus into a signing bonus however.

I believe it has already been announced that the cap would be $92M next year. The problem Hitmandm is that we are at $113M; although as stated in many other threads simple restructurings and estimated cuts will easily get us down to $80M. LA might be gone in my opinion since the Redskins will owe a $6.5M roster bonus which is real money.

Since it will cost us more to cut him, he only leaves if the coaches really don't want him.

I think he stays a Redskins since there is no real Cap benefit to cutting him and the coaches see enough in him to play him in the playoffs.

I believe it has already been announced that the cap would be $92M next year. The problem Hitmandm is that we are at $113M; although as stated in many other threads simple restructurings and estimated cuts will easily get us down to $80M. LA might be gone in my opinion since the Redskins will owe a $6.5M roster bonus which is real money.

Is this ture? Well, then if so we do have a problem. Good reply. The real money issue may come into play, but if we cut him, it doesn't help our cap that much...like half a mil.

Looks as if I needed to re think my proposals

Your math is wayyyy off. No offense. One good tool to use is www.nflpa.org. Look under the "Agent" directory and do a player search. It gives only base salaries, but signing bonuses are easy enough to find using a simple google search and just amortizing it over the lesser of a) the remaining years of the contact or B) 7 years (in the case of an absurd 8-12 yr contract). Arrington's base salary is actually very low, although his amortized bonus hit is pretty high and he is due a roster bonus. But he counts nowhere near $12M.

im not sure ,but have heard that if the CBA {COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT} and the nflpa {national football league players asso} dont reach an aggreement there wont be a cap after next yr. from what i understand they arent even talking, im noot real good with the cap but would that be better for the skins? just wondering HTTR Sknsnation

In my thinking if there is no cap in 2007 Danny boy could accelerate all salaries for that year and lock the players up long term, paying them off in one year. Of course you'd have base salaries every year but you could actually make them league minimum with just big signing bonus's in 2k7. That'd be awesome.

In my thinking if there is no cap in 2007 Danny boy could accelerate all salaries for that year and lock the players up long term, paying them off in one year. Of course you'd have base salaries every year but you could actually make them league minimum with just big signing bonus's in 2k7. That'd be awesome.

Danny would find a way woudn't he. They would have a CBA by then I would imagine, but you never know... :laugh:

Take a look at this:

Sigh... first of all, Arrington's cap number of $12m is wrong. The $6.5 roster bonus due in July will be converted and spread out over the life of the contract, lowering his cap to about $7m. Same with Marcus Washington: he's due a $2.5m bonus that because of the CBA expiring is listed as a 2006 hit in its entirety. Your site lists him at a $5.2m cap hit; he'll likely be $3.3m. The Skins are at about... drumroll please... $89.6m against the cap in 2006.

I explain it in depth here (with all the necessary caveats about the unknowns): Capology

The Skins would be "Awesomely....done." Imagine Danny if he weren't restrained by a Cap. A payroll anywhere from $180-$200mil. But then guess what? After the *ONE* un-capped year (Never going to happen), the Skins will have to cut 2/3rds of the teams roster to get down to the newly set $100 mil or so. If the NFL has no cap.....i'll spell it out......N-H-L or L-O-C-K-O-U-T! There are toooo many small market teams that cannot or will not compete with the Snyder's, Jones, A. Davis etc. The owners need 8 votes to go uncapped. I can name 3....maybe 4 with Paul Allen in Seattle. And maybe 5 with W. Huizenga in Miami. But the counting stops after that.

Sigh... first of all, Arrington's cap number of $12m is wrong. The $6.5 roster bonus due in July will be converted and spread out over the life of the contract, lowering his cap to about $7m. Same with Marcus Washington: he's due a $2.5m bonus that because of the CBA expiring is listed as a 2006 hit in its entirety. Your site lists him at a $5.2m cap hit; he'll likely be $3.3m. The Skins are at about... drumroll please... $89.6m against the cap in 2006.

I explain it in depth here (with all the necessary caveats about the unknowns): Capology

Well my analysis of his salcap came from that website. I suggest if you think I am wrong and the website is wrong, which I might be, then I think you need to explain yourself.

I am not a dumb Cowpies's fan...you ned to support your position...:)

I agree with you; however, the CBA agreement has not been completed and has a chance of remaining uncompleted; therefore, the cap numbers would be correct. I am not concerned with the $113M as there will be at least $7-10M in cuts and another $10M or more in restructures.

Archived