Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dangerous trend.............feedback please

Pete

All the time around DC on Rt 50, Rt4. We have a couple of guys on base who make a game out of running from the cops. One guy constantly travels at 140+, I've seen it with my own eyes. I was going 100 in my truck and he passed me like I was sitting still.

A good friend of mine died July 3, 21yrs, about a month after returning from Iraq. He survived 4 months of war just to die riding his bike on RT4. He was speeding but that's the norm when you're on one of those bikes.

I'm in NorCal, and see this almost daily. Just two weeks ago I saw what looked like a guy who had just gone down. From the artical in the paper, he may have made it, if the car that was behind him didn't run over him. Turns out the driver was his girlfriend, and her and her three friends were trying to catch him with a video camera.

These idiots have a death wish...

I'm not a bike rider, so not sure how the laws here vary, but in a northern state, there is a tiered licensing system for motorcyclists.

Once you obtain an 'open' license, ie not learner or probationary, you can only start riding a bike of up to 250cc. You do this for the first two years, then you must pass a riding test if you want to advance to the next level - 400cc. Another two years and you can go to 600cc, then 900cc, then you are free to ride whatever you want.

So, for a new rider to be able to ride anything over 900cc, they must hold a bike license for no less than 8 years (if they live that long).

I'm not a bike rider, so not sure how the laws here vary, but in a northern state, there is a tiered licensing system for motorcyclists.

Once you obtain an 'open' license, ie not learner or probationary, you can only start riding a bike of up to 250cc. You do this for the first two years, then you must pass a riding test if you want to advance to the next level - 400cc. Another two years and you can go to 600cc, then 900cc, then you are free to ride whatever you want.

So, for a new rider to be able to ride anything over 900cc, they must hold a bike license for no less than 8 years (if they live that long).

I haven't heard of that system. That makes me feel great being Triumph doesn't make a bike under 800 cc, and is the # 1 selling street bike down under. Seasoned riders on great bikes....................

Having to ride a 250cc bike for two years would be the suck. Those rules are a little bit draconian. I'm surprised another country would have stricter rules then America...

I think those rules were introduced to help keep bike riders alive.

As you may not know, the Northern Territory is the only state in Australia that has roads where there are no speed restrictions. This means that you can drive/ride as fast as you want as long as you do so in a safe manner.

Can you imagine an 18yo on a 900/1000/1200cc motorcycle doing 200kmh+, and losing control because he was inexperienced. These laws were designed to let riders get some experience on the roads and learn how to ride, not just learn how to get a license.

I think those rules were introduced to help keep bike riders alive.

As you may not know, the Northern Territory is the only state in Australia that has roads where there are no speed restrictions. This means that you can drive/ride as fast as you want as long as you do so in a safe manner.

Can you imagine an 18yo on a 900/1000/1200cc motorcycle doing 200kmh+, and losing control because he was inexperienced. These laws were designed to let riders get some experience on the roads and learn how to ride, not just learn how to get a license.

I actually like the system you speak of. I think it would save a lot of lives.

Archived