Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What we forget about the 1st Seattle game...

golfgram

Many Seahawk fans speak of our first meeting as if it has very little relevance. I think it actually has a lot of relevance. It showed that the two teams were evenly matched, and that it is largely a matchup of strength against strength. That is, both teams can run the football and both teams can stop the run, they can pass very proficiently, while we have one of (if not THE) premier pass defense in the league. We managed to keep Alexander under 100 yards rushing, which is something that only a few other teams have been able to do.

But one thing we are forgetting about this game... we were missing two defensive backs during the Seahawks second half rally: Sean Taylor and Walt Harris (the latter for the entire game). And, as you'll recall, Lavar was still being benched at this stage. Carlos Rogers, starting his first game as a rookie, was torched for over 100 yards by Engram after giving up tons of cushion. So long as Shawn Springs is reasonably healthy this week, our defense is performing much better than it did during that injury-riddled stretch between Seattle and the first Tampa Game. Especially in terms of stopping the run. Other than Philly, no one has run the ball successfully against us in over 6 weeks. Shaun Alexander will get his. But "his" needs to be under 120 yards if we are to win this game. It would be a miracle to get him under 80, but I don't think it's a stretch to keep him in the 90-110 range. If we do this I have a hard time imagining Hasselbeck putting up huge passing numbers. After all, few QBs have against our secondary.

The biggest impediment to victory I see is that we're playing away... in a playoff game, against a tough opponent, in one of the loudest stadiums in the league. This is difficult for any team to overcome. I frankly think we are just as good as the Seahawks. But playing on the road instantly makes us the underdog. Like last week, we will need some bounces to go our way. If they do, we'll be in an excellent position to take this game. If they don't (and go the Seahawks way instead), then we could be beat soundly since our offense is the kind that you don't want to rely on to rally from down two scores.

The X-factor... Joe Gibbs and history. I think it's pretty clear that Joe Gibbs teams just play harder than others. And not just most of the time. The effort has been nothing short of spectacular week in and week out (except maybe the Raiders game?). He is the master motivator and his players love and respect him. I think the same can be said for Williams... although some of his players fear and respect him. :laugh: Holmgren, while a coach who has enjoyed success in the past, is not what I would call a "clutch" coach and certainly not a master motivator. His players have been known to come up lame in big games every season. Hell, even in last year's playoffs against the arch-nemisis Rams. Seahawks fans don't want to think about this and "poo-poo" any mention of "history." But just like we all knew Norv would find a way to lose in every big game, there's a growing trend that Holmgren during his entire reign in Seattle has developed this knack. As Kleese mentioned earlier, all of the pressure is on them. If things don't go well early, the eery sense of destiny might kick in and the Seahawks will find themselves saying "here we go again."

There's a good chance we won't win this game, but barring disaster, any mention of a cakewalk is lunacy.

:helmet:

I honestly think, by virtue of what they have faced this year in schedule, the character of the players, and the fact that they are fired up to prove all the critics wrong, that the Redskins will come out and show the 'hawks that they are a tougher team on Saturday. I kept reading at their boards how banged up they think the Redskins are. Coulden't be ****ier. I just hope Hasslebeck comes out as confident as he was a couple of years ago during a playoff game and shouts "We want the ball and we're gonna score" after winning the toss. I believe he proceeded to throw a pick that was returned for a TD. Choking dog. He'll do it again.

I honestly think, by virtue of what they have faced this year in schedule, the character of the players, and the fact that they are fired up to prove all the critics wrong, that the Redskins will come out and show the 'hawks that they are a tougher team on Saturday. I kept reading at their boards how banged up they think the Redskins are. Coulden't be ****ier. I just hope Hasslebeck comes out as confident as he was a couple of years ago during a playoff game and shouts "We want the ball and we're gonna score" after winning the toss. I believe he proceeded to throw a pick that was returned for a TD. Choking dog. He'll do it again.

How did I forget that? That was friggin hilarious!!

My biggest worry is that we have to fly over 3000 miles and play in a loud stadium against a rested oponent. I honestly don't think the 'hawks are better than us on paper. They have a better offense, we have a better defense. Winning the battle in the trenches is going to be key in this game. Especially up the middle. If Griffin and Salavae'a play as well as they have been playing I think we hold Alexander under 100 and win the game.

I agree. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck we ended up is 8.5 point 'dogs.

13-3 vs 10-6

#1 seed vs #6 seed

One of the Best offenses in the league vs an offense that put up 120yds last game

Traveling to the west coast for the first time this season.

We follow the team closely so we see the little in's and out's of the team that "outsiders' don't, and are more aware of our talent and capabilities. Most people who don't follow our team very closely look at numbers, and ours don't stack up all that great to Seattle's.

I personally think we have a better than even shot at winning, especially since our defense is playing better than it did against them the first go 'round.

Check out my sig, I beleive it is true. Hasellback is so overrated it dose not make no sense. He is the 4th rated passer becuase of Alexander. If Alexander leaves Hasselback will be show for his true self. Wit that being said The Seahawks has a good O-Line I can pass behind that line. Of our corners are healthy G willams is going to have a field day if Hasselback tries to pass. With THAT being said I disagree that we are going to lose by 8 (Says Las Vegas) if our O shows up we will have a good Joe Gibbs style of play game.

Remember, we have gotten alot better since we played (beat) Seattle.in the last 6 wks we have allowed a wopping 13.3 ppg. and caused 19 turnovers, and outscored our opponents 159-79. 3 of those teams with winning records.

All seattle has is 13 wins against no one. and stats against no one. and RB yardage against no one. played 11 teams with losing record!

Uh, cough cough cough.....cough.... cough... uh.... cough......:doh: :laugh:

I remember reading a long time ago that in big games you bet on the coach, not the team. So I ask, who do you bet on if you need to win one game? Gibbs or Holmgren?

Thought so.

I guess the Vegas guys are betting on the coach who is 0-3 coaching his team.

Personally, I'd go with the guy who is 17-5 coaching his and has 3 rings. :point2sky

Archived