Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some facts about SEATTLE having NOTHING to do with their schedule

smartestmaninamerica

Yep, I get it. The whole, "Seattle-had-a-cake-schedule" thing has been done to death.

Here are a few interesting things HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH SEATTLE'S SCHEDULE that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere that folks might want to consider:

1. Seattle is averaging over 6 yards on first down. (Hmmm, who here thinks they can get 6 yards on first down against the Skins who stuffed Tiki and Cadillac?)

2. Seattle converted only 39.6 percent of their third-down plays all season. (Heck, they didn't even have many third downs to convert. Helps to play a doormat schedule I guess - sorry couldn't help myself :silly: )

3. Seattle ranked 25th versus the pass this season. (Don't think Williams hasn't noticed this. Santana's stomach is growling just thinking about it.)

I recommend this article as a good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2284876

The Seattle offense is just pretty damn good. I don't care who they have played. They have a very good offensive line which is anchored by the premier LT in the game. They have the MVP running back, the NFC ProBowl quarterback, and a deep WR core (Jackson is flat good when healthy, Engram is a good #2, Jeriviciuos is a great #3).

I would say that we can't underestimate their ability to move the ball. We will not win this game if Brunell plays that poorly and we can't run the ball better.

The Seattle offense is just pretty damn good. I don't care who they have played. They have a very good offensive line which is anchored by the premier LT in the game. They have the MVP running back, the NFC ProBowl quarterback, and a deep WR core (Jackson is flat good when healthy, Engram is a good #2, Jeriviciuos is a great #3).

I would say that we can't underestimate their ability to move the ball. We will not win this game if Brunell plays that poorly and we can't run the ball better.

Brunell will play better against this team. They have the 7th-from-the-bottom pass defense in the whole NFL.

Here's another statistic that I haven't seen brought up on this board yet: After playng the Redskins in week 4, Bobby Engram missed the next six weeks due to injury and Darrel Jackson missed the next TWELVE weeks due to injury. These guys are going to remember the beatings that they took in DC and they wont be as effective as they were the first time around.

D-Jack's knee was already bothering him BEFORE the game. You also don't mention that the Hawks ran off 11 straight wins. D-jack, JJ, Engram, Stevens this week instead of Galloway, Meshawn, and nobody-even though "nobody" was wide open on 2 consecutive plays that would have tied the game.

Statistics are funny things, particularly in football. They do not have the relevance as they do in baseball, so it is difficult, and often misleading to quote football stats.

For example: in the Jan. 13, 2006 edition of "The Sporting News" on page 46 Troy Aikman writes a column in which he gives his "Aikman Efficiency Ratings". He argues that the NFL rankings, which are based soley on yardage, are misleading. His ratings attempt to factor in such things as points, turnovers, red-zone efficiency, yards per play, and first down and third down efficiency.

Based on his calculations Seattle is ranked #6 on defense while we are ranked #9 (NFL ranks Seattle #15 on defense and Skins #7). On offense both the NFL and Aikman rank Seattle #1, while the Skins are ranked #12 by the NFL and # 11 by Aikman. His AER on defense is 78.5 for the Seahawks and 77.7 for the Skins, NFL average is 74.5. For offense Seahawks 93.5 (Colts 89.9), Skins 80.5, NFL average 75.5 (whatever these numbers mean!).

I do not know what factors Aikman assigns to the various elements, but it does appear that his approach is better than simply measuring yards allowed. For example, Seattle could be giving up lots of passing yards because they are so far ahead of their opponents that they have to pass, giving up on the run. Seattle could be bending but not breaking, giving up cheap yards in the middle of the field but tightening up as you get closer to the red zone.

It will be a tough game. But I believe that emotion and momentum and significant factors in any football game. We have it. They have 2 weeks of rest to cure minor injuries. Do we have enough left in our tank to win? HELL YES!

HTTR!

:point2sky

I do not know what factors Aikman assigns to the various elements, but it does appear that his approach is better than simply measuring yards allowed. For example, Seattle could be giving up lots of passing yards because they are so far ahead of their opponents that they have to pass, giving up on the run. Seattle could be bending but not breaking, giving up cheap yards in the middle of the field but tightening up as you get closer to the red zone.

We have given up more yards than you, but actually fewer points per game. We have lost our starting FS for the season, and our two starting CBs and our nickel CB have all missed significant time, forcing us to start special teams scrubs.

Even when healthy, our CBs aren't exactly spectacular though, but you do need more than one good receiver to exploit it, which you don't appear to have.

All in all, we give up yards but not points. IIRC, only Chicago has given up fewer touchdowns.

3. Seattle ranked 25th versus the pass this season. (Don't think Williams hasn't noticed this. Santana's stomach is growling just thinking about it.)

How do you lead the league in sacks (Seattle has 50 sacks this season) yet have the 25th ranked pass defense? Something tells me that Seattle's secondary just isn't very good.

:D

Seattle's defensive stats are skewed for a couple of reasons. They've jumped out to early leads often, albeit against inferior competition, leading teams to abandon the run and throw the ball all over the field. Their passing defense if probably better than the numbers indicate, but their rushing defense isn't as good as it looks statistically.

If you really wanted to make ratings to truly show the quality of a team's offense and defense you would have to go farther than Aikman did. You'd certainly have to include strength of schedule or even the individual offensive and defensive rankings of the oposition.

This will be an interesting game. It truly is strength against strength. Seattle has a very good offense but I don't think their defense is anything more than ordinary. Washington, on the other hand, has an excellent defense and a mediocre offense. For the last six weeks the Redskins' D has been playing as well as anyone in the league. We're going to need to score some points and force them into 3rd downs. I expect a hard fought and ultimately close game.

six yards on first down may be commen place out west where the sun shines all the time and the teams play like the Sisters of the Faith. Try that funny stuff against a smash mouth team and you will get just that, smashed in the mouth.

Holmgren is gonna have a long day.

HTTR!!!:point2sky

How do you lead the league in sacks (Seattle has 50 sacks this season) yet have the 25th ranked pass defense? Something tells me that Seattle's secondary just isn't very good.

I thought I already covered that. I'll type it again r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w:

W-e l-o-s-t o-u-r F-S f-o-r t-h-e s-e-a-s-o-n.

O-u-r s-t-a-r-t-i-n-g L-C-B h-a-s m-i-s-s-e-d s-i-g-n-i-f-i-c-a-n-t t-i-m-e.

O-u-r n-i-c-k-e-l b-a-c-k h-a-s m-i-s-s-e-d m-a-n-y g-a-m-e-s a-s w-e-l-l.

O-u-r s-t-a-r-t-i-n-g L-C-B h-a-s m-i-s-s-e-d t-i-m-e t-o-o.

W-e h-a-v-e a-s a r-e-s-u-l-t s-t-a-r-t-e-d s-c-r-u-b-s l-i-k-e J-o-r-d-a-n B-a-b-i-n-o-u-x a-n-d J-i-m-m-y W-i-l-l-i-a-m-s w-h-o s-h-o-u-l-d b-e s-t-a-r-r-i-n-g o-n s-p-e-c-i-a-l t-e-a-m-s, n-o-t s-t-a-r-t-i-n-g.

M-a-r-c-u-s T-r-u-f-a-n-t, o-u-r s-t-a-r-t-i-n-g L-C-B f-r-o-m l-a-s-t y-e-a-r, h-a-s h-a-d t-r-o-u-b-l-e a-d-j-u-s-t-i-n-g t-o t-h-e R-C-B p-o-s-i-t-i-o-n.

E-v-e-n w-h-e-n h-e-a-l-t-h-y, H-e-r-n-d-o-n, D-y-s-o-n, a-n-d T-r-u-f-a-n-t j-u-s-t h-a-v-e-n-'-t b-e-e-n t-h-a-t g-r-e-a-t-, i-m-o. H-o-w-e-v-e-r, w-i-t-h o-n-l-y o-n-e g-o-o-d W-R y-o-u-'-r-e g-o-i-n-g t-o h-a-v-e a t-o-u-g-h t-i-m-e e-x-p-l-o-i-t-i-n-g t-h-a-t.

Do you need me to go over it again for ya?

Seattle's defensive stats are skewed for a couple of reasons. They've jumped out to early leads often, albeit against inferior competition, leading teams to abandon the run and throw the ball all over the field. Their passing defense if probably better than the numbers indicate, but their rushing defense isn't as good as it looks statistically.

If you really wanted to make ratings to truly show the quality of a team's offense and defense you would have to go farther than Aikman did. You'd certainly have to include strength of schedule or even the individual offensive and defensive rankings of the oposition.

This will be an interesting game. It truly is strength against strength. Seattle has a very good offense but I don't think their defense is anything more than ordinary. Washington, on the other hand, has an excellent defense and a mediocre offense. For the last six weeks the Redskins' D has been playing as well as anyone in the league. We're going to need to score some points and force them into 3rd downs. I expect a hard fought and ultimately close game.

Thank you, excellent points; I appreciate that. No, our D is not spectacular. However, it is pretty good in a few areas:

Our interior line men can get to the QB.

With Tatupu calling the shots from MLB, offenses have trouble finding open gaps against us to run the ball.

We somehow or 'nother manage to keep people out of the endzone, which doesn't seam like a terribly repeatable skill, but we've been doing it all year.

Finally. Someone who is willing to face facts.

Guys, Seattle is good. Whether or not they had an easy schedule is irrelavant. They made those teams look bad. Alexander is a TD machine. Hassleback is darn good. That Oline can dominate.

But . . . we got a good defense. Williams has once again made the small adjustments needed to stop the opposing team. We can handle it.

The Skins gotta get off to a fast start on offense. Otherwise the Seahawks can pound the run all day.

Yep, I get it. The whole, "Seattle-had-a-cake-schedule" thing has been done to death.

Here are a few interesting things HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH SEATTLE'S SCHEDULE that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere that folks might want to consider:

1. Seattle is averaging over 6 yards on first down. (Hmmm, who here thinks they can get 6 yards on first down against the Skins who stuffed Tiki and Cadillac?)

2. Seattle converted only 39.6 percent of their third-down plays all season. (Heck, they didn't even have many third downs to convert. Helps to play a doormat schedule I guess - sorry couldn't help myself :silly: )

I recommend this article as a good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2284876

Very nice article.:notworthy Is there one for the AFC?

Definitely, especially when accounting for the 11 losing record teams they played this year. Almost doesn't make sense.

Archived