Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some facts about SEATTLE having NOTHING to do with their schedule

smartestmaninamerica

Finally. Someone who is willing to face facts.

Guys, Seattle is good. Whether or not they had an easy schedule is irrelavant. They made those teams look bad. Alexander is a TD machine. Hassleback is darn good. That Oline can dominate.

But . . . we got a good defense. Williams has once again made the small adjustments needed to stop the opposing team. We can handle it.

The Skins gotta get off to a fast start on offense. Otherwise the Seahawks can pound the run all day.

I believe this will be our toughest game. Chicago really doesn't scare me and Carolina is Jeckel n' Hyde. If we lose, we lose this week! If we win, we go all the way!

Statistics are funny things, particularly in football. They do not have the relevance as they do in baseball, so it is difficult, and often misleading to quote football stats.

For example: in the Jan. 13, 2006 edition of "The Sporting News" on page 46 Troy Aikman writes a column in which he gives his "Aikman Efficiency Ratings". He argues that the NFL rankings, which are based soley on yardage, are misleading. His ratings attempt to factor in such things as points, turnovers, red-zone efficiency, yards per play, and first down and third down efficiency.

Based on his calculations Seattle is ranked #6 on defense while we are ranked #9 (NFL ranks Seattle #15 on defense and Skins #7). On offense both the NFL and Aikman rank Seattle #1, while the Skins are ranked #12 by the NFL and # 11 by Aikman. His AER on defense is 78.5 for the Seahawks and 77.7 for the Skins, NFL average is 74.5. For offense Seahawks 93.5 (Colts 89.9), Skins 80.5, NFL average 75.5 (whatever these numbers mean!).

I do not know what factors Aikman assigns to the various elements, but it does appear that his approach is better than simply measuring yards allowed. For example, Seattle could be giving up lots of passing yards because they are so far ahead of their opponents that they have to pass, giving up on the run. Seattle could be bending but not breaking, giving up cheap yards in the middle of the field but tightening up as you get closer to the red zone.

It will be a tough game. But I believe that emotion and momentum and significant factors in any football game. We have it. They have 2 weeks of rest to cure minor injuries. Do we have enough left in our tank to win? HELL YES!

HTTR!

:point2sky

Aikmans ratings dont factor in the schedule. When you do that things look a bit differently. Redskins have the #2 Defense and Seattle the #15 according to the Fox ratings. And they make a lot more sense. The Redskins didnt play 6 games against abysmal divisional opponents or any of the other weak team the Seahawks played.

http://msn.foxsports.com/name/public/NFL/PowerRankings

Archived