Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell's INT mostly Jacobs fault?

tvo14

I don't think receivers are trained to knock down tipped passes.

Not only that, but Theismann was in position to make the play. Jacobs was not really in position, as the DB had tipped the pass forward (away from Jacobs) then made the catch.

I agree though that there are football players who have terrific instincts around the ball (Brunell in his own endzone knocking his fumble out of bounds, taking the safety instead of the defensive TD; even your example of Theismann batting down his tipped pass).

You think receivers aren't trained to knock down balls or become the defender when the defense has a shot at the ball?

If the defender tipped the ball Jacobs should have either tried to knock it away or pushed or grabbed the arms of the defender so he couldn't catch it. Once the ball has been touched there is no interference but Jacobs didn't seem to do anything from what I saw.

I agree that Brunell should have never made that throw. He was throwing on the run, across his body, into the middle of the field. If I remember the throw was high and Jacobs was well covered. The INT was all Brunell's fault.

Well said. I've never played QB but I've known since pee wee league to never throw across your body back into the middle of the field. Thats a no no. Anyone remember Joe Theisman doing that though in the 82 NFC Championship game against the Cowbums? Theisman scrambled for what was a sure sack or incomplete pass. He somehow threw back across his body and caught Don Warren for about a 10 to 15 yard gain on the play. Incredible play.

You think receivers aren't trained to knock down balls or become the defender when the defense has a shot at the ball?

If the defender tipped the ball Jacobs should have either tried to knock it away or pushed or grabbed the arms of the defender so he couldn't catch it. Once the ball has been touched there is no interference but Jacobs didn't seem to do anything from what I saw.

More times than not, when balls are tipped by the defense, I see receivers trying to make plays on those balls, not bat them down. I could be wrong (I've never been a receiver in the NFL), but it seems like receivers are taught to try to make plays on tipped balls unless there is absolutely no chance they can catch it. Then, and only then, does it seem like they try to knock down the pass or tackle the DB.

In Jacobs' case, he had a shot at the initial pass. In fact, he got his hands on it. Therefore, he was trying to catch the ball, not knock it down. Unfortunately, the DB managed to tip the ball forward to himself. If Jacobs was in position to make a play at this point, he obviously should have disrupted the DB's catch. He wasn't in position, however, as he was coming down from his jump (backwards, if I remember correctly). Therefore, he did the next best thing and made the tackle.

Brunell thought it was 89 not 84 he was throwing to. If he knew it was 84 he would have never thrown it. Brunell knows that Taylor Jacobs can't catch and isn't gonna fight through a defender to make a catch. That was the only mistake Brunell made; Not knowing the correct jersery he was pitching too.

In the playoffs you have to take chances down field and he simply to the wrong chance. He'd throw the same pass again this weekend to Moss and gain 20 yrds.

I garuntee you some arena league scrub wouldn't have caught 25. Not because he couldn't but because BRUNELL DOES NOT THROW TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FIELD.

Geez. Patten didn't have any receptions either. Patten isn't T.O. but he was an effective #3 WR with the Patriots and he somehow got lots of balls thrown his way when Ramsey was playing. Do you guys think its a coincidence that the production in the intermediate middle and right side of the field has dissappeared with Brunell in the game? I have some stats I'm going to post later, it's not a coincidence. This is the bed the Redskins have chosen to make, and Brunell is not an effective passer to his right or in the middle of the field. We basically have an offense that is taylored to short passes in the flat and the occasional deep bomb, which is the only pass over ten yards Brunell can throw consistently.

And as for Big Ben..Mark Brunell is not Big Ben. End of story. This is Mark Brunell we're talking about, it was a bad throw not just in theory, but because Brunell doesn't have the arm strength or physical ability to make that play 95% of the time.

Patten had 22 receptions in nine games. Jacobs had 11 receptions in 15 games (he did not play in the opener). If you ask me, Harrell belongs in the NFL more than Jacobs does. Harrell has 609 career receptions in seven AFL seasons (188 TDs). Jacobs has 30 career receptions in three years (1 TD). I would absolutely LOVE for him to have a big game. I just don't expect it any longer.

Archived