Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell trade looking better every week

BogeyMan

If the Redskins lose at Seattle next week, the best draft pick the Broncos can pick up is #25.

Basically, the Redskins give up the #25 at best this year and a 3rd last year - the 2nd rounders last year were swapped if I remember correctly.

What the Redskins got was their QB of the future with a year to learn the Joe Gibbs system. Most teams have to draft early in the first round to get their franchise QB unless they are exceptionally fortunate like the Patriots with Brady. If Campbell pans out, the Redskins get theirs a year early with a late 1st round draft pick.

Hopefully during the offseason, Campbell studies hard and prepares himself to compete for the starting job next season.

The skins have become a team that focuses on playing mistake free football while controlling the time of possession with the running game and playing solid defense. What the team needs is a guy who can "manage" the football game.

Brunell is a gutsy fighter who doesn't give up but he isn't getting any younger anytime soon. The future of this team rests upon the shoulders of Jason Campbell and hopefully, he will get the opportunity to prove he is the guy to lead us NEXT season.

Again, our pick is locked into #22 unless we get to the Super Bowl.

Where do you get that? NFL.com says otherwise.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.

2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game. If two tied clubs exited the playoffs in the same round, the tie is broken by strength of schedule.

If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

The skins have become a team that focuses on playing mistake free football while controlling the time of possession with the running game and playing solid defense. What the team needs is a guy who can "manage" the football game.

I have no problem with Brunell's game management skills; he has after all lead this team into the second round of the playoffs. With work some of that is bound to rub off on Ramsey and Campbell.

Mistake free football, control the time of possession, and solid defense? Exactly the traits one would expect from a Joe Gibbs coached team. Success with that formula resulted in three Super Bowl wins during Gibbs I era and has produced a playoff win Gibbs II.

For some reason SOS and Nervous Norv just came to mind. :doh:

I think that we should assume that Brunell has the starting job into next season based upon what he's done this year cumulatively, and regardless of anything that he does or doesn't do this postseason (aside from serious injury of course).

Gibbs has a tendency to stick with veteran QB's too long rather than the opposite. We saw a little of that last year with how long he took before putting Ramsey into the lineup despite Brunell looking flat out awful for weeks on end, but the pattern is there historically.

Take a look at Theismann's 1985 season (cut short, of course due to the terrible leg injury that ended his career) and Doug Williams' 1988 season. In both cases, their long-term successors were on that roster (Schroeder and Rypien, respectively) and ended up putting up better numbers than they did that year, but Joe only replaced the incumbents due to injury.

Joes priorities are clear - he wants a veteran with a level head and a thorough understanding of the offense (even if his physical skills are deteriorating) over a younger guy who's more athletic but more prone to making mistakes. That's not to say, however, that Joe's faith in the veteran characteristics are always justified.

The point? I don't think we see much of Campbell next year unless 1) Brunell not only stinks, but stinks to the point that we simply can't win with him; and 2) Campbell has shown everyone on the staff that he knows the offense and is capable of stepping in and leading. I'm of course operating on the assumption that Ramsey departs during this offseason in some sort of trade.

The QB situation is very interesting to me.

Despite what some people say, I don't believe that Brunell is going to automatically gonna be the starter next season. Plus, if we keep Ramsey, which does not seem out of the question to me at all, that will make it even more interesting.

With 3 solid QB's, it could make for a very interesting offseason and training camp next season.

But for now......:seahawksu

It's smart to point out Gibbs' track record with QBs But keep in mind that we're in uncharted territory with Campbell.

It's the first time that GIBB'S got to choose a QB of the future. Before, Bobby Beathard was always bringing in some QB through the draft, almost always with a later pick. Gibbs had to work with more of these guys than you realize: Tom Flick in the 4th round in '81. Bob Holly in the 11th round in '82. Jay Schroeder in the 3rd round in '84. Mark Rypien in the 6th round in '86. Stan Humpries in the 6th round in '87. Believe it or not, but ALL of them played (though Holly threw only 1 pass in '83). Except for Flick, they all spent their rookie seasons on IR.

The difference, though, is that Gibbs really liked what he saw in Campbell and went to great lengths to acquire him. It wasn't a matter of Gibbs deciding he needed to draft a quarterback this past year. There was something about Campbell that made Gibbs say "Hey, this really could be THE guy." And for those who don't think Gibbs will go with an untested Campbell as their primary backup next season: rookie Holly was Theismann's primary backup in '81, Schroeder backed up Theismann in '85 without ever having played in a regular season down, and Rypien did the same behind Williams in '88. And while Holly got mostly cleanup time at the end of a couple of games, Schroeder and Ryp saw significant playing time. Gibbs might be itching to see what Campbell can do a little more than he did with those other guys in the '80s.

Archived