Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting facts about the NFL

MikeSellers45

Today, my art teacher told me he has a friend who is and NFL historian. He told me that the dropkick was invented because of great pass rushing. When people would try for field goals, some teams would always block them because they would burst through the line and block it. They made the dropkick to get rid of the holder and put an extra blocker on the line of scrimmage.

I also learned about another trick that hasn't been used since about the 1930s. Lets say there was 5 seconds left in the first half and you had the ball at the 50 yard line. Instead of having the ball 7 yards off the line of scrimmage like a normal field goal, you could put the ball right on the 50 yard line and kick it from there. the defense would also have to move back ten yards. I don't know if this could be used on any yardline or any time during the game, but I know you can still do it today.

Also, my art teacher told us that field position was everything back then because there wasn't much of a passing game so you needed field position to score. When the opposing team punted the ball to you, the punt returner would run it back a little if he could and then punt it back up field. Most of the opposing teams players would be down near the punt returner so he would punt it to his players upfield and they would get it and score a touchdown. This can also be used in the NFL today.

I just thought this was interesting.

Here is what I was able to find:

1) http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=1481

Not sure, but it seems the drop kick was more popular before 1934, because the ball was rounder and a true bounce was a lot easier to get back then. When they changed the shape of the ball, the drop kick became a lot less reliable and quickly faded from popular use.

2) Your art teacher is almost right.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/fairkick

Fair Catch Kick

1. After a fair catch, the receiving team has the option to put the ball in play by a snap or a fair catch kick (field goal attempt), with fair catch kick lines established ten yards apart. All general rules apply as for a field goal attempt from scrimmage. The clock starts when the ball is kicked. (No tee permitted.)

3) This is not possible with today's rules. Not sure about years past:.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/kicksfromscrimmage

12. Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching). This foul does not offset any foul by receivers during the down.

:logo:

Actually...these are old rules from Rugby. Football is the American version. As Australian rules is the Australian version.

I don't remember the year, but an American who went to Bath University in the UK who played Rugby, brought the sport over and changed it slightly, and introduced it to America.

Archived