Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2005 Most Unbelievable Workplace Events

China

2005 MOST UNBELIEVABLE WORKPLACE EVENTS

The Whine-Free Policy. A German company initiated a strict no-whining policy. Negative Nellies and other boat rockers are under a two-moans-and-out rule. According to the company, several workers have quit and two others have been fired for violating the whine-free policy.

We Are Family, Only. DaimlerChrysler’s transmission plants in Kokomo, Indiana, have designated 80 percent of their employee parking as reserved for Chrysler vehicles only. Any non-Chrysler vehicle parked in a reserved area will be towed to Indianapolis, 50 miles away, where the employee will have to pay $200 to get his or her car back.

No Slack For War Wives. A Michigan woman was fired from her part-time receptionist job after failing to show up for work the day after seeing her husband off to war as a National Guard member.

Rescue Squirrels On Your Own Time. A woman says she was suspended from her job for spending too much time trying to rescue a squirrel trapped in the ceiling of the library where she works.

Executive Whipped Into Shape. An executive for a foundation thatfunds heart disease research was accused of embezzling more than $237,000 and using some of the money to pay for the services of a dominatrix.

Anyone Desperate For A Job? The National Labor Relations Board refused to strike down a security company’s rule that prohibits employees from getting together away from work. The policy forbids workers from going to lunch together, attending each other’s weddings, or doing anything else they might want to do with each other outside of work.Productivity vs. Religion: And the Winner is… 30 Muslim workers were fired from a major computer manufacturer’s Nashville plant for adhering to religious doctrine that requires them to pray daily at sunset.

Forgot To Wrap That Can! A worker with a good record and no problems with his supervisors was unexpectedly fired from his job with a beer distributor. While no reason was given, the firing occurred on the same day a picture of the worker drinking a competitor’s beer appeared in a local newspaper.

No Hablas Español. Two Spanish-speaking hair stylists in Chicago claim in a federal lawsuit that the company they worked for strictly banned the use of Spanish, even when employees were on their breaks. A sign at the establishment read, “Speaking a language other than English is not only disrespectful, it’s also prohibited.”

Anyone Desperate For A Job? The National Labor Relations Board refused to strike down a security company’s rule that prohibits employees from getting together away from work. The policy forbids workers from going to lunch together, attending each other’s weddings, or doing anything else they might want to do with each other outside of work.

No Hablas Español. Two Spanish-speaking hair stylists in Chicago claim in a federal lawsuit that the company they worked for strictly banned the use of Spanish, even when employees were on their breaks. A sign at the establishment read, “Speaking a language other than English is not only disrespectful, it’s also prohibited.”

Both of those would be deal breakers for me. The second one would result in an earful to the @sshat that decided to inform me of said rule.

It is rude to speak another language in front of people that can't understand it.
How many languages do you speak? I ask only because the only people I've ever found to be offended when someone speaks in a language they don't understand are those that only speak English.

Though if you suspect you are being talked about in another language intentionally so that you can't understand it is annoying, then again so is an inside joke or anything potentially insulting that people communicate about you on the DL.

It is rude to speak another language in front of people that can't understand it.

I remember once I was dating a Venezuelan girl. I was at her house and she started talking to her brother in Spanish in front of me (something to do with me but nothing bad, I don't remember exactly what she said), and I made it clear that I understood what she was saying by joining in the discussion but in English. Needless to say she was surprised, and never did that again. :laugh:

How many languages do you speak? I ask only because the only people I've ever found to be offended when someone speaks in a language they don't understand are those that only speak English.

Though if you suspect you are being talked about in another language intentionally so that you can't understand it is annoying, then again so is an inside joke or anything potentially insulting that people communicate about you on the DL.

2 fluently, I am not going to count spanish because I suck at it.

I know I tell my mom all the time not to speak to me or other people in Farsi when there are others around that can't speak it. It is rude, because the others feel offended like we are hiding something from them. Even though it never is like that, that is how it is perceived.

I know I tell my mom all the time not to speak to me or other people in Farsi when there are others around that can't speak it. It is rude, because the others feel offended like we are hiding something from them. Even though it never is like that, that is how it is perceived.

Hey Liberty what's Farsi? Who speaks it?

Odd. You certainly are the first person that speaks more then one that I've ever run into that feels that way. Just goes to show you can't consider personal experience the rule.

I speak 1, English, why? Because I live in America and I don't need another language
There are a lot of things in life that people learn or appreciate that aren't needed. Not sure why so many get so upset over English not being the only language spoken in the US. English is the main and official language and people that come to live here should speak it. But knowing more then one, is better.

Archived