Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Joe Gibbs turns in his playbook....

One Shot

Now I know that the thought of the Redskin's beloved Joe Gibbs eventually retiring brings sadness to fan's hearts around the world, but one thing to consider is hopefully G. Williams will stick around long enough to become promoted as head coach once its all said and done, your thoughts?

This is a fairly common topic of discussion in Redskinland. I could see that happening IF big Gregg stays around. That IF is looking mighty big at this point as there are rumors circling that he is being courted by other teams, namely two in his home state of Missouri, as a potential head coaching candidate. I really hope he sticks around, but we will see.

I honestly believe that Gibbs would consider stepping down before he would let Williams leave. This is under the assumption that Williams is willing to stick around as Def. Coach for one more year.

But honestly, AS A HEAD COACH, GW has proven nothing, and I'll take Gibbs as head coach over Williams any day.

If he sticks around for next year, he will be here until the team is his. He's getting paid head coach money now. His kids are in school in the area and he already said he wouldnt keep moving them. He knows he still has a little bit to learn, and wants to learn from Gibbs. If he sticks next year out with us, then he will get the team a year or two after that.

I honestly believe that Gibbs would consider stepping down before he would let Williams leave. This is under the assumption that Williams is willing to stick around as Def. Coach for one more year.

But honestly, AS A HEAD COACH, GW has proven nothing, and I'll take Gibbs as head coach over Williams any day.

Me too but if Gibbs wanted to retire some time in the near future and GW was still chillen with us as the D-Coach, I wouldn't mind AT ALL for GW to be promoted to HC. He would do an excellent job because he knows what this team is all about. When you go to a different team you gotta start all over and there's always a year or 2 that it takes to adjust. He knows our system.

I disagree and really hope that I'm right.

We have a known commodity as a head coach in Joe Gibbs. I wouldn't want to sacrifice even one season under him just to keep GW here as a successor. Now, if it happens naturally (in the timeframe that Gibbs wants), then fine. I think GW could be a good head coach if given another opportunity. But I would hate to think that Gibbs would step down a year or more early to give him his shot. I'd prefer to ride the Gibbs Era as long as possible and deal with a replacement when the time comes...you never know, he might choose to stay longer! :2cents:

Me too but if Gibbs wanted to retire some time in the near future and GW was still chillen with us as the D-Coach, I wouldn't mind AT ALL for GW to be promoted to HC. He would do an excellent job because he knows what this team is all about. When you go to a different team you gotta start all over and there's always a year or 2 that it takes to adjust. He knows our system.

Oh, absolutely bro. I'm not trying to denounce GW or his abilities. On top of that, I believe Gibbs would still stay on with the team as GM. I'm just saying, if it came down to Gibbs NOT retiring and having to let GW go, or GW taking over and Gibbs leaving, I'll take the former instead of the latter.

I disagree and really hope that I'm right.

We have a known commodity as a head coach in Joe Gibbs. I wouldn't want to sacrifice even one season under him just to keep GW here as a successor. Now, if it happens naturally (in the timeframe that Gibbs wants), then fine. I think GW could be a good head coach if given another opportunity. But I would hate to think that Gibbs would step down a year or more early to give him his shot. I'd prefer to ride the Gibbs Era as long as possible and deal with a replacement when the time comes...you never know, he might choose to stay longer! :2cents:

Agreed, and see my previous post that essentially does not disagree with your opinion (the reply). I don't want to see Gibbs go by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying, he'll do what is best for the team, and he'll be here in some capacity, whether it be GM, VP of operations, or otherwise.

Agreed, and see my previous post that essentially does not disagree with your opinion (the reply). I don't want to see Gibbs go by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying, he'll do what is best for the team, and he'll be here in some capacity, whether it be GM, VP of operations, or otherwise.

I agree that he'll do what's best for the team. I just hope he doesn't underestimate himself and overestimate someone else when making that decision. :cheers:

Archived