Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hero of the Week

China

Man Catches Baby Tossed From Burning Third-Floor Apartment

POSTED: 7:18 am EST December 15, 2005

UPDATED: 8:48 am EST December 15, 2005

A man in New York was videotaped catching and saving a soot-covered 3-month-old baby tossed from a burning third-floor apartment window.

Police said a fire broke out in the kitchen of a third-floor apartment Wednesday, leaving a woman mother and her baby trapped in their apartment unit.

The mother screamed for help from her apartment window.

When the woman noticed building superintendent Felix Vazquez under the window, she dropped the baby.

Surveillance video at the apartment complex showed the baby falling from the third-floor apartment and into the arms of Vazques.

Vasques caught the soot-covered boy "like a football" and blew air into his lungs in order to get him breathing again.

"I grabbed the baby like a football," Vasques said. "She threw the baby across, and that's when I ran in and just caught him just in time, and gave him a quick mouth. He coughed and he started yelling and crying."

Vasques didn't know what the woman was holding out of the window until after she let the newborn baby drop.

Firefighters were able to rescue the mother, and now both are doing fine.

"It's just a miracle, a miracle," Vasques said. "Especially in the holidays, now. It was a beautiful thing."

Man Catches Baby Tossed From Burning Third-Floor Apartment

POSTED: 7:18 am EST December 15, 2005

UPDATED: 8:48 am EST December 15, 2005

A man in New York was videotaped catching and saving a soot-covered 3-month-old baby tossed from a burning third-floor apartment window.

Police said a fire broke out in the kitchen of a third-floor apartment Wednesday, leaving a woman mother and her baby trapped in their apartment unit.

The mother screamed for help from her apartment window.

When the woman noticed building superintendent Felix Vazquez under the window, she dropped the baby.

Surveillance video at the apartment complex showed the baby falling from the third-floor apartment and into the arms of Vazques.

Vasques caught the soot-covered boy "like a football" and blew air into his lungs in order to get him breathing again.

"I grabbed the baby like a football," Vasques said. "She threw the baby across, and that's when I ran in and just caught him just in time, and gave him a quick mouth. He coughed and he started yelling and crying."

Vasques didn't know what the woman was holding out of the window until after she let the newborn baby drop.

Firefighters were able to rescue the mother, and now both are doing fine.

"It's just a miracle, a miracle," Vasques said. "Especially in the holidays, now. It was a beautiful thing."

Great story! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Archived