Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For those of you who like Mark Rypien...

Southtown

...it looks like he'll be around for one more year. 1991 was so long ago, but I still can't help having a smirk on my face everytime I see his name! That was one unbelievable season.

I'm not quite sure he'll get much playing time in Seattle, but if he does, hopefully he lights it up!

Seahawks | Rypien Signed - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

10:27 PT: ESPNews reports the Seattle Seahawks have signed free agent QB Mark Rypien to a one-year deal.

We could easily have seen a late career resurgence a la Steve Buerlein or Rich Gannon from Rypien if he hadn't experienced so much personal tragedy that led him away from football during the mid-1990's. Even when he left us after 1993, he was still a developing QB, especially in his ability to make correct reads and to make touch passes.

He's still a good backup, and I recall wishing that we'd had him this time last year. I wish him well.

Originally posted by redman

We could easily have seen a late career resurgence a la Steve Buerlein or Rich Gannon from Rypien if he hadn't experienced so much personal tragedy that led him away from football during the mid-1990's. Even when he left us after 1993, he was still a developing QB, especially in his ability to make correct reads and to make touch passes.

He's still a good backup, and I recall wishing that we'd had him this time last year. I wish him well.

I agree. Ryp had some tough family issues that took away from his career. Who knows what he could have done. Probably could have been a solid starter, at the worst a good backup.

I wish this guy well but he used to frustrate me. I had the impression he thought there were birds and worms on the team.

Receiver's would be wide open and he would consistantly throw it over their head or in the dirt.

We won that Super bowl in spite of Rip, not because of him.

I think if we would have had a real QB we would have won more SB's.

Originally posted by Zuskin

I wish this guy well but he used to frustrate me. I had the impression he thought there were birds and worms on the team.

Receiver's would be wide open and he would consistantly throw it over their head or in the dirt.

We won that Super bowl in spite of Rip, not because of him.

I think if we would have had a real QB we would have won more SB's.

Man quit drinking Haterade. Who do you think was responsible for the aerial attack that year that had to be one of the best in NFL history? Rypien. Give the man his just dues.

60% completions, 28 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions for Rypien in 1991.

and the Redskins won the Super Bowl in spite of him? I think you are talking more about a Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler than Mark Rypien looking back at the history of teams dragging players to the Super Bowl :)

Rypien threw for 442 yards and 6 touchdowns in one game that year against the Falcons and the Skins had the ball with a chance to break the touchdown passing record co-held by Sammy Baugh, but Rypien took himself out of the game and said being mentioned in the same breath with Baugh was enough for him.

So, that's the bum you are talking about?

I love how somebody can come on here and rip players that have PRODUCED for us and then spew about how great some jackass like Westbrook or Deion Sanders is :mad:

To expound a little, for the benefit of those who believed that Rypien sucked, did you know that Rypien had 84 TD passes during his first four seasons (1988-1991) in the league, versus only 48 INT's?

Also, during that time, Ryp's completion % was 57.4, and he's a guy who was never considered a high percentage passer, and who was in an offense whose willingness to throw deep sacrificed completion percentage.

Even more amazing was his phenomenal 7.9 yards per attempt during that four-year span, a span in which the Redskins made the playoffs only twice.

Unfortunately, his career is noteworthy (it really is amazing to look at Rypien's career stats in this regard) for a severe downturn beginning in 1992. That was the first year that he threw more INT's than TD's. He then sort of drifted off into obscurity after that awesome start. I always attributed it to 1991 being a contract year for him, and him becoming fat and happy on a new, huge contract and resting on his Super Bowl MVP and Champion laurels. Anyway, for whatever reason, he was just never the same QB after 1991.

But don't dog Ryp by saying that he was a bad QB or something. He wasn't. He earned his stripes in the NFL, and he built towards 1991's pinnacle very diligently. And he was every bit as much a part of that season and that Super Bowl win as anyone on that team.

Archived