Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memories and a little nostalgia

DixieFlatline

Well, I dusted off my VHS tape containing the NFL Films highlights of the '81 and '82 Skins and watched it tonight. Then I plopped in my tape of Super Bowl XVII and watched Riggo's run on 4th down. (btw, reception sure was grainy before cable tv).

Anyway, after watching these tapes, I can't tell you how psyched I am. I can only hope current Redskins would watch highlights of these teams and see where the Gibbs' Redskins legends began. Some things that brought fond memories:

1. All-Pro Mike Nelms returning kicks and punts

2. Dexter Manley as a rookie

3. Darrell Green as a rookie

4. The Hogs (many people forget Riggins was a member)

5. Theismann named honorary piglet after a particularly good block on a running play

6. Mark Murphy leading the team in tackles, fumble recoveries, and interceptions.

7. Art Monk towering over people

8. The Smurfs

9. The Fun Bunch

10. Mark Mosely breaking the record for consecutive FGs and kicking straight ahead not soccer style

11. Riggins rushing for over 600 yards in 4 playoff games setting a record for rushing in the playoffs

12. Dave Butz, Neal Olkewicz, Monte Coleman

13. Beating Dallas in the NFC championship, Manley's sack of Danny White, Darrell Grant's INT returned for a TD

14. Of course, beating the Dolphins in the Super Bowl

I could go on and on. Just hope this brings some fond memories to those that watched the teams back then.

Does anyone know if you can buy coverage of the Super Bowls? I'm not looking for a highlight film, but actually the whole game. While my tape of Super Bowl XVII still works, it is grainy and I missed the first quarter as my mom accidently taped her soap operas over it. Can you believe that?!!!!

Since Mosely retired, has there been a "toe" style kicker on an NFL roster?

Pretty sure not since he retired. I even have a hard time remembering if there was anyone around in the early 80s besides him that was kicking it "toe" style.

I almost forgot that he was the league MVP in 1982. You think that may ever happen again for a kicker?

Mosely made something like 20/21 field goals that year. Despite that, I think its a little odd that he won the MVP. There were other players during that strike shortened year who had great seasons, but the MVP was a kicker. Was this the media's way of somehow taking a shot at the NFL? Does anyone know the story here?

Mosely made something like 20/21 field goals that year. Despite that, I think its a little odd that he won the MVP. There were other players during that strike shortened year who had great seasons, but the MVP was a kicker. Was this the media's way of somehow taking a shot at the NFL? Does anyone know the story here?

I'd have to do some research, but he made many game winning kicks that year as well as breaking the record for consecutive FGs which hadn't been broken in a while.

I just watched the highlights of that Skins-Dolphins Super Bowl last week. It did bring back good memories.

I remember being severely disappointed when Woodley hit Cefalo for that 76 yd TD...and again when the Dolphins returned the kickoff for a TD. Man, I was so afraid we would lose that game...Theismann also made tha game-saving defensive play against Bokamper (I believe it was Bokamper)...

...but when Riggins broke that run you knew it was over.

...I get a kick out of looking at the fans in the stands...the hair styles...the clothes...:)

I just watched the highlights of that Skins-Dolphins Super Bowl last week. It did bring back good memories.

I remember being severely disappointed when Woodley hit Cefalo for that 76 yd TD...and again when the Dolphins returned the kickoff for a TD. Man, I was so afraid we would lose that game...Theismann also made tha game-saving defensive play against Bokamper (I believe it was Bokamper)...

...but when Riggins broke that run you knew it was over.

...I get a kick out of looking at the fans in the stands...the hair styles...the clothes...:)

That play by Theismann was the key play of the game. It happened right before half correct? The Skins had run that play against the Raiders earlier in the year and Joe Washington had gained some big yards. My heart was in my throat with Bokamper was trying to haul that in. The whole game would have been different if Theismann hadn't made that play.

Dixie, we didn't play the Raiders the year we won our first Super Bowl.....we played them twice the next year, including the Super Bowl loss. The Theismann play to break up the Bokamper INT occurred in the third quarter....the Dolphins were ahead 17-13 at the time and a TD would've made it 24-13....gotta wonder if that would've forced Gibbs to go to the air instead of relying on Riggo. The play that "occurred right before the half" was unfortunately the one the following year in the SB......the screen pass intended to Joe Washington that Jack Squirek picked off and took in for a 21-3 Raider lead at the half.

Gotta say the Riggo 4th and 1 is the litmus test for old-time Skins fans....if you don't get goose bumps EACH and EVERY TIME you watch that play, you are not a true, dyed in the wool Skins fan.

10. Mark Mosely breaking the record for consecutive FGs and kicking straight ahead not soccer style

11. Riggins rushing for over 600 yards in 4 playoff games setting a record for rushing in the playoffs

Great memories! I forgot about Mosley kicking straight toed and Riggo's 600 yards in 4 playoff games; wow! I believe Kurt Knight was a straight toe kicker as well, as most kickers were in thiose days. Much more distance; however, the accuracy didn't seem to go with it.

Dixie, we didn't play the Raiders the year we won our first Super Bowl.....we played them twice the next year, including the Super Bowl loss. The Theismann play to break up the Bokamper INT occurred in the third quarter....the Dolphins were ahead 17-13 at the time and a TD would've made it 24-13....gotta wonder if that would've forced Gibbs to go to the air instead of relying on Riggo. The play that "occurred right before the half" was unfortunately the one the following year in the SB......the screen pass intended to Joe Washington that Jack Squirek picked off and took in for a 21-3 Raider lead at the half.

Gotta say the Riggo 4th and 1 is the litmus test for old-time Skins fans....if you don't get goose bumps EACH and EVERY TIME you watch that play, you are not a true, dyed in the wool Skins fan.

Doh....you're right....I've blocked that Super Bowl out of my mind and got'em mixed up a bit. Probably subconsciously thinking that game never happened. :-)

Well to me when I watch the 87 Superbowl, I get the goosebumps because I can STILL remember what I was doing during Williams' record setting performance. Mind you I was only 6. I was 1 when the Skins won in 82, but I have seen the tape of the game and I get a warm fuzzy when I watch it. Just doesn't have the nostalgia that the other 2 have for me.

1. All-Pro Mike Nelms returning kicks and punts ( Mike, the #21, catches the ball, takes a few steps forward, jukes to the left and then to the right and suddenly he is 15 yards down the field. He could make a 10 yard return a thing of beauty).

2. Dexter Manley as a rookie ( Running down the field on Kickoff coverage as the announcers discuss his then frightening size and speed combination.

3. Darrell Green as a rookie ( You know it's coming. :) Watching the game against the dreaded Cowgirls. Dorsett gets the ball, makes a step or 2 and like that, he's through the hole and off and running. You shake your head and go **** or somthing close thereof. That's when you notice a Redskin player coming out of nowhere. You suddenly stop and stare at the TV as he catches up to Dorsette and then tackles him. As soon as you get your chin off the floor, you exclaim ( insert comment here). That and Darrell Green? Didn't they draft him.......

4. The Hogs (many people forget Riggins was a member) Riggens asked to be a member. He deserved to be there. You're watching the game on Sunday. Joey T. calls the signals and gets the ball. John takes a step to the right or left, and then moves towards the line of scrimmage. Next thing you know he's in the defensive secondary raising havoc with the DB's. You smile with pride as the replay shows guard and tackle pulling out ahead of John and for some unknown reason, you just like the name Counter Trey.

5. Theismann named honorary piglet after a particularly good block on a running play ( Joey did this more than once too).

6. Mark Murphy leading the team in tackles, fumble recoveries, and interceptions. ( and in very hard hits.)

7. Art Monk towering over people ( with the towel on his waist waving as he runs. 3rd and long and you hardly ever worried. Art was on the field).

8. The Smurfs ( Alvin Garrett, Charlie Brown and the crew catching a deep one on a playaction to Riggens).

9. The Fun Bunch ( Doc and the gang going 1, 2, 3 then doing the high five. Let's not discuss the Boys trying to break things up. :mad: )

10. Mark Mosely breaking the record for consecutive FGs and kicking straight ahead not soccer style , ( Mark and his trademark helmet and straight on kicking style winning more than one game. You cringe at the memories of watching him on channel 9 in a leisure suit).

11. Riggins rushing for over 600 yards in 4 playoff games setting a record for rushing in the playoffs ( Riggo left. Riggo right).

12. Dave Butz, Neal Olkewicz, Monte Coleman ( Dave Butz driving guys up into the QB, Neal quietly being one of the better LB's in the league and Monte getting the call for blitz on the QB. Did he ever miss one? ).

13. Beating Dallas in the NFC championship, Manley's sack of Danny White, Darrell Grant's INT returned for a TD ( you covered it).

14. Of course, beating the Dolphins in the Super Bowl ( The Play. You were down. You were worried. Joey T. saved the day with a heads up breaking up of a certain INT in the endzone. Your heart raced and you held your breath when John got the ball. Next thing you know, you were singing Hail To The Redskins).

Archived