Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams next season

macnoke03

I think it depends on how the Redskins fare over the next 16 - 17 months.

I dont see him leaving but, as someone else says it depends on what motivates him.

If he feels that the Redskins can and will be a dominant team over that time span he would be stupid to leave.

I feel that this team is just too close to pack it in right now.

all i hope is that if he is gone next year, that we dont bring in a completely different defensive scheme with a new coord, why not just promote someone or bring in someone who has been with gw before who has learned and can build on the defense instead of starting from scratch yet again

If Williams leaves I think Blache would probably be promoted.

Word here in St. Louis is that Williams is on the "short list" of guys the Rams want to interview. Of course none of that can happen till the Redskins season is over.

Problem is, if the Rams fire the staff they have now, which the fans would love to see, is that they will have to pay out $14 mil for coaches they don't have.

As you guys saw last Sunday, or D totally sucks, and all us fans are hoping for a defensive-minded HC after Martz is gone.

Well, the only thing we have to go on is his word, and that seems to indicate that he plans to stay. It makes sense though -- he said in the past that he wasn't worried about titles, etc, being a head coach, but he would like to be one again in the future. My guess, is that if it's being indicated to him that he is heir apparent, he will likely stay around:

1. He doesn't seem concerned with be a head coach right away.

2. He likes his players, and seems to like his situation working for Coach Gibbs.

3. He frequently cites his family's happiness with the D.C. area.

4. He has a history of staying in one place for a long time.

5. He is making head coach money now, though I don't know that money is what drives him.

6. He will likely be making more than any other coach in the NFL if he stays on and becomes coach. Especially considering that he will have shown loyalty by staying around when he could have bolted. My impression is that Dan Snyder expects good employees, and he expects them to be highly compensated.

7. Maybe it doesn't matter, but maybe it does -- he's already got a fan base with mad love for him in DC, he knows that.

I mean, why would he leave if he "KNOWS" he'll be the HC when Gibbs retires for a second gold watch? Snyder will buy whatever he needs in players. He has the largest stadium to play in front of, and he has a good base of players to work with. And he'd screw that all up just to be a HC in 2006? He makes enough money, so that's not it. If he leaves then perhaps he never had the "under the table" agreement to follow Gibbs in the first place. And if he had that agreement and still decides to leave, then he wasn't what we thought we'd get in the first place.

My guess is he at least stays one more year. But whadda I know?

i mean he has a better option if he stays in Washington.. comin from an outsider's opinion.. reason I say this is because if you are guaranteed a coaching job after 5 years.. with a strong legacy and hold on the franchise.. that is prime real estate along with a more lucrative opportunity rather then start from scratch.. i jus assumed when he Gibb's brought him in they were in this for a major turn-around of not just rebuilding a team but the franchise as a whole

I agree that Williams would be silly to leave now. Even though, there is a high demand for his services. Especially since KC, St. Louis, Houston and probably NY (Jets) are in the market for new head coaches. But, he would absolutely be crazy to leave now when:

(1) Redskins' fans really accept him

(2) He is getting his players on D now

(3) Gibbs will be leaving in the next two years (rather we want to admit it or not), and

(4) The money is good now and probably as a head coach would be great.

Having said all of that, I for one would love to see him as our next head coach. I think that we will remain competitive that way, versus bringing in whole new guys with new ideals and schemes.

Now, if he did decide to abandon ship now when he has to know that the head coaching job is his once Gibbs decides to retire, then I will boo his a$$ as if he was a stranger and never worked for the Redskin organization.

HTTR :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

I have this feeling that if GW supplants JG in what is hopefully a successful franchise, Snyder will keep him around for a long time a la Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh and Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. Snyder seems like the loyal type as long as the franchise remains consistent. Also, by consistent know that you are going to have bad years and not every year is a SB year. Seems like Snyder has learned what he needs to do as far as owning a team.

This is generally correct. He got about $1M as the head coach in Buffalo, and is getting between $1.5 and $2M now (depending on incentives). Only Monte Kiffin is a higher paid assistant. I'd bet that a team would offer him a slight raise to be their head coach, but I don't think he would be offered a big raise (like $3M a year) because he did tank it in Buffalo. In the end, I seriously doubt that Snyder would let him get away just because of money -- it would have to be because he wants to be a head coach again right now. With that said, from what I've seen and heard about Blache, I'd be confident in letting him take over this defense if Williams left the team.

Besides, despite all this talk about Williams taking over the team when Gibbs retires, wouldn't it be great if they got Russ Grimm to replace Gibbs?

Wow, Russ Grimm. I havent even been thinking about him. He has done an excellent job with the Steelers.

I have heard Williams say he has no interest in leaving Washington, mainly because of his kids in school, and this area. However, blache has also done a good job. I would be confident if he had to replace Williams

Chris Mortensen said in his chat today that he would be surprised if Williams is still in Washington next year. He mentioned KC, STL and HOU as possibilites for a head coaching position. I know that may not come as a shock to most of you but just interested in your thoughts if Williams is gone next year.

:dallasuck

Don't entertain that! GW is going know where. If you like I can save this thread and give you a friendly reminder when next year comes. But don't kid yourself.

Word here in St. Louis is that Williams is on the "short list" of guys the Rams want to interview. Of course none of that can happen till the Redskins season is over.

Problem is, if the Rams fire the staff they have now, which the fans would love to see, is that they will have to pay out $14 mil for coaches they don't have.

As you guys saw last Sunday, or D totally sucks, and all us fans are hoping for a defensive-minded HC after Martz is gone.

Can you just get the **** outta here? Please, the last thing i need is a Rams fan in here knowing that Gregg Williams may come to st. louis and try to head coach there with you polite, tennis-court type fans.

Mort also thought we were trading Spurrier to the Dolphins.

Williams has said numerous times that he's not going anywhere. One thing that noone has mentioned in this thread is how much respect Williams has for Gibbs. I really think that Williams will eventually take over for Gibbs.

Archived