Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams next season

macnoke03

Chris Mortensen said in his chat today that he would be surprised if Williams is still in Washington next year. He mentioned KC, STL and HOU as possibilites for a head coaching position. I know that may not come as a shock to most of you but just interested in your thoughts if Williams is gone next year.

:dallasuck

Another year another defensive coordinator. At least we had that nice 2 year period of stability we've been looking for.

Yea....:(

He said he wanted to stay here in Washington becuase his kids and family enjoy it here and he loves the fans but if Brian Billick gets fired he wont even have to move his family becuase baltimore is right there he might even be living in baltimore right now.

Im praying Gregg Williams stays here for Joe Gibbs 2nd tenure and then takes over as Head Coach when Joe retires. Might not happen though.

Chris Mortensen said in his chat today that he would be surprised if Williams is still in Washington next year. He mentioned KC, STL and HOU as possibilites for a head coaching position. I know that may not come as a shock to most of you but just interested in your thoughts if Williams is gone next year.

:dallasuck

I'd be surprised if Chris Mortensen is right on this assumption. Good grief!!! :rolleyes:

Yea....:(

He said he wanted to stay here in Washington becuase his kids and family enjoy it here and he loves the fans but if Brian Billick gets fired he wont even have to move his family becuase baltimore is right there he might even be living in baltimore right now.

Im praying Gregg Williams stays here for Joe Gibbs 2nd tenure and then takes over as Head Coach when Joe retires. Might not happen though.

Rogers has 2 INT's.

I thought he's already getting paid headcoach money here with us?

This is generally correct. He got about $1M as the head coach in Buffalo, and is getting between $1.5 and $2M now (depending on incentives). Only Monte Kiffin is a higher paid assistant. I'd bet that a team would offer him a slight raise to be their head coach, but I don't think he would be offered a big raise (like $3M a year) because he did tank it in Buffalo. In the end, I seriously doubt that Snyder would let him get away just because of money -- it would have to be because he wants to be a head coach again right now. With that said, from what I've seen and heard about Blache, I'd be confident in letting him take over this defense if Williams left the team.

Besides, despite all this talk about Williams taking over the team when Gibbs retires, wouldn't it be great if they got Russ Grimm to replace Gibbs?

If Williams stays, a deal is already in place and Gibbs has probably privately indicated he won't coach 5 full years.

I just find it next to impossible to believe that any coach - who clearly wants to be a head coach - would willingly be a coordinator for five years when head coaching jobs are open. Jim Johnson and Tom Moore apparently have no interest in being head coaches. Williams clearly does.

all i hope is that if he is gone next year, that we dont bring in a completely different defensive scheme with a new coord, why not just promote someone or bring in someone who has been with gw before who has learned and can build on the defense instead of starting from scratch yet again

Well, the only thing we have to go on is his word, and that seems to indicate that he plans to stay. It makes sense though -- he said in the past that he wasn't worried about titles, etc, being a head coach, but he would like to be one again in the future. My guess, is that if it's being indicated to him that he is heir apparent, he will likely stay around:

1. He doesn't seem concerned with be a head coach right away.

2. He likes his players, and seems to like his situation working for Coach Gibbs.

3. He frequently cites his family's happiness with the D.C. area.

4. He has a history of staying in one place for a long time.

5. He is making head coach money now, though I don't know that money is what drives him.

6. He will likely be making more than any other coach in the NFL if he stays on and becomes coach. Especially considering that he will have shown loyalty by staying around when he could have bolted. My impression is that Dan Snyder expects good employees, and he expects them to be highly compensated.

7. Maybe it doesn't matter, but maybe it does -- he's already got a fan base with mad love for him in DC, he knows that.

I like Williams as Def. Coordinator, but remember who was the heir from the first Gibbs retirement? A highly regarded defensive coordinator....

on a team that was absolutely purged of talent because of retiring players and the first year of the salary cap. - Pettibone should have gotten at least one more year.

Williams is still in his 40's and he knows he has time. He knows he has a good thing going here and if he keeps his eyes open, his next head coaching gig will be much more successful than his first.

Bellicheck didn't get his second crack at being a head coach for 7 or 8 years, and I gotta beleive that when he went back with Parcells after getting fired from the Browns, he payed more attention to other details, making him a better head coach the second time around.

I would love to see Williams stay and replace Joe. If he decides to stay and take over for Gibbs this could be a competitive franchise for years. Continuity, after all, is the key to success in the NFL.

It might not happen, though, because he is such a good coach. I can certainly understand why teams would be interested in him.

I like Williams as Def. Coordinator, but remember who was the heir from the first Gibbs retirement? A highly regarded defensive coordinator....

Pettibon didn't have headcoaching experience though. Did he?

Here is the way I see it.

If Williams stays he has a good shot at a starting gig here.

He can leave now and start with a newteam, but he has to essentially start from scratch.

If Williams stays he will be able to learn more and more from a veteran coach.

If he leaves he is back on his own.

If Williams stay he wins superbowls.

If he leaves...who knows.

Archived