Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier article

codeorama

Spotlight on Spurrier

By Rich Tandler

Date: Aug 14, 2002

Special Training Camp Edition. Steve Spurrier, famous for getting annoyed at his quarterbacks while coaching at Florida, was being very patient. The drill during the morning practice session involved the quarterbacks taking a snap, taking a three-step drop and firing the ball to a receiver on an eight-yard pattern. Over and over Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews, Sage Rosenfels, and Patrick Ramsey dropped back and threw as the Ball coach watched intently.

At least five times during the drill, which lasted less than ten minutes, Spurrier exhorted his signal callers to hold the ball up higher during their drop backs. The tendency was to hold the ball about level with the top of the numbers; Spurrier demonstrated keeping it a level nearer the facemask.

The hands-on coaching continued as he went over to the wide receivers, who were on one knee watching Spurrier demonstrate when and where to make a cut when running a particular pattern.

After that, the quarterbacks and receivers joined in the drill under the watchful eye of Spurrier, who continued to insist on proper ball positioning by the passers and on correctly-run routes on the part of his receivers.

As the morning practice wore on and the defense trotted over from the far field to the main field to join the offense. As seven on seven and 11 on 11 drills unfolded, Spurrier took a very different role, that of observer. He watched from near the sideline, occasionally speaking into a walkie-talkie. The instruction was being done by the assistant coaches with running backs coach Hue Jackson and defensive line coach Ricky Hunley standing out as being particularly animated.

The session was spirited with some trash talking going on. The loudest of the players was, no surprise here, Fred Smoot. He did walk the walk, however, as he picked off two passes.

As always, Spurrier addressed the media after the practice, declaring that nothing particularly good or bad happened during the session. His best line came when he was asked if he had a timetable for naming a starting quarterback. After saying that he might decide after the Tampa Bay game, the next to last preseason contest, he said that he wasn't committed to that. He said a decision might not come "until after the kickoff for the Arizona game (the regular season opener). Whoever runs out first will be the starter."

The afternoon session was conducted in no pads on this hot, humid day. The four quarterbacks were doing warm-up tosses near the auxiliary field. While Ramsey, Matthews, and Rosenfels casually wound up and let the ball fly, Wuerffel (picture 3737) brought the ball up near his facemask before each throw, just as his coach had been demonstrating that morning.

As the offense and defense conducted a two-minute drillanother lively sessionthe assistant coaches were the ones doing all of the coaching. Spurrier again observed from the side, again speaking occasionally into a walkie-talkie.

Before and after the drill, Spurrier's focus was on the quarterbacks. Quick patterns were again the emphasis in an early breakout session. After the hurry-up scrimmage, the signal callers took a knee and listened to the imparted wisdom of the Ball coach for ten minutes short before practice ended.

The part I got a kick out of was about DW. Here's a guy doing everything the coach asks of him. I'm not partial to any of the qb's and there is more than one way to play qb, but Shane didn't even look like he was trying to use the mechanics Spurrier asks them to use during the Panthers game. Even Sage holds the ball the way SS wants him to. Danny's work ethic may make him the breakthrough player of the year.

Shane was even hesitant to run up and give his WR a high five when they scored a TD. That to me shows that he isn't connecting with them, or just doesn't WANT to connect for some reason.

I like DW's spirit out on the field. Even Sage is excited and you can tell he just wants to win. I certainly hope -- and please try not to flame me too hard for this -- Shane is shown the door and Sage stays.

I remember a shot form the Osaka game when Sage was talking to Shane, the commentators were talking about Shane and Shane would not even look at Sage when Sage was talking to him. It was even between plays, I wonder if he can be kind of an a$$ if he wants to be. Just an observation thats all.

Shane was even hesitant to run up and give his WR a high five when they scored a TD. That to me shows that he isn't connecting with them, or just doesn't WANT to connect for some reason.

I like DW's spirit out on the field. Even Sage is excited and you can tell he just wants to win. I certainly hope -- and please try not to flame me too hard for this -- Shane is shown the door and Sage stays.

Shane == cancer???

Shane Matthews is a good QB. He is different from the rest. He is no DW, but I would want him as back-up in this system. He knows it and can get the job done. personally, I feel if a rookie thinks he is so good he can hold out, SHIP HIM OUT. Remeber Shuler?:asta:

Originally posted by G-Town

I remember a shot form the Osaka game when Sage was talking to Shane, the commentators were talking about Shane and Shane would not even look at Sage when Sage was talking to him. It was even between plays, I wonder if he can be kind of an a$$ if he wants to be. Just an observation thats all.

He does the same thing at TC...at least it seemed that way when I was there shooting. Jeff George acted like that too.

I really think he's just over-confident at this point. Maybe he thinks he already has the starting job wrapped up and doesn't have time to talk about trivial stuff with the lowly 2nd year QB. :rolleyes:

Let me go out on the proverbial limb, again::laugh:

SM or DW will be gone @ end of summer. The Turk will get one of 'em.

My money sez it's SM. He's been gone from the SS system too long. He has been coached in the WC system and has shown propensity to be aloof.

He FINALLY (due to injuries) got a chance to start with da Bears last season and it went to his head. One reason his reads are so slow is, he wants to play WCO within SS's system. That in itsself will be his demise.

I don't think SM really believes SS can win in the NFL:doh:

I hope DW has a nice game against the Steelers. Then just let SM and Sage fight it out for second string.

IMHO, we have too many needs in other areas to keep four QBs.

Soooooooooo, one will be chosen, the other left behind:snore:

All of us go through it sometime in life. Jus' the way it is:read:

I would share the suspicions about Matthews' aloofness but for the fact that he's a Florida/Spurrier alum. You'll recall that the concern about Spurrier in some quarters was that pro QB's would be less receptive to his hands-on approach to coaching. That's less of a risk with the other three guys who are either young or who are his protege (DW). I suppose Matthews could have "outgrown" Spurrier, but that seems inconsistent with his history at Florida of being receptive to Spurrier's system. He moved from 6th string to starter in one offseason, right?

Anyway, it's awfully hard to accurately read people's relationships on the team short of their being a visible falling out, or short of a player speaking about it to the media. It's just reading tea leaves at this point.

Shane Matthews doesn't think Steve Spurrier's system will work in the NFL?

He has been basically begging for a chance to return to a Spurrier like offense for his whole career. He's gone from team to team questioning the offensive philosphies he's been asked to run.

Lest anyone forget, long before the Redskins played a couple good preseason games and got the masses excited, Shane Matthews would look reporters in the eye with a dumbfounded look and say something to the effect of "Of course the offense is going to be successful in this league."

Or "The real question is how some of these other buffoon offensive coordinators are still holding down jobs."

No that's not a direct quote, but it may as well have been. I have no idea what certain people are seeing if you've come to the conclusion that Matthews is some sort of uncoachable cancer on this team.

If I'm correct, Shane Matthews is the first person to go on record and say that this team should be a playoff team, and that was months ago, long before many Skins fans started to come around on Wuerffel.

Archived