Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The need to Max Protect is hurting our offense.....and exposing our O-line

NoCalMike

I have said it before and I will say it again. The Max Protect formation is decent for a player here and there, especially on screens, but the fact that the Redskins have been using it on 3rd downs is exposing our offensive line. We are only able to send out one WR and one TE and the defense is double covering both.

I think we have all expected too much out of this offensive line, and it is time to re-evalute every member of it, and yes, even Jon Jansen.

The problem is that we have invested alot financially in 4 of the 5 starters of that unit.

IMO, the re-evaluation also needs to include Joe Bugel as well. It's shocking to see a unit, under the tutelage of such a distinguished leader, underachieve to this degree.

Our run blocking has improved big time and the interior of the line has, for the most part, played well. Randy Thomas is our best OL.

We're just getting killed on the edges, which would be Samuels and *GASP* Jansen.

I love Jansen's leadership and toughness too but I think a lot of us overrated him. Yes he is better than Ray Brown but he isn't all-world.

I have said this for the past 4 years. Our "great" tackles are very overrated.

If you notice anytime a DE takes a deep rush we normally give up a sack, because we have two stiffs at Tckl... and they can not cover anyone with 1 ounce of speed.

People have bashed me for saying this, but its the truth. We make scrub de's look like world beaters

Well I think what people fail to accept is that both Jansen and Samuels have had major surgeries, and IMO, neither have been as good since. I remember Jansen in his first couple of years MANHANDLING veterns. Jansen gets the benefit of the doubt in 2005, merely because he is coming off surgery, but Samuels is about out of excuses.

I have said this for the past 4 years. Our "great" tackles are very overrated.

Yup, Simeon Rice overpowering Samuels last week, and this week Burgess doesn't even have to worry about Jansen, because Jansen was in denial that Burgess was even there. But the worst part is, none of the coaching staff even picked up on the fact that Burgess wasn't being accounted for. The ex-eagle had a field day.

Most offensive line coaches are reviewing photographs of blown plays, but Bugel was nowhere to be found. I wonder if he was feeling okay today?

Bottom line: For whatever reason, this unit was not prepared to play today. I believe the coaches have some explaining to do.

I agree. As I've said before, look at the Eagles game. We did well by running 3 and 4 WR sets. So then, just after we realize "hey, this actually works!", we stop using it, go back to be super-conservative, and lose 2 in a row.

Funny, but I did see 3 WR sets today. Course, Thrash goes out at halftime and the fourth guy is a rookie playing his first game, it makes it kinda hard to play those sets.

Let's think before posting.

Jason

Archived