Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Punting on 4th and inches....

Luca Brasi

Punting on 4th and inches in the 1st quarter can ultimately be looked at as the turning point of this game. We were in Raiders' territory with a 7 point lead. To be quite honest, the spineless play calling of Gibbs is starting to get a little old. Either get some balls or this ****ing season is over.

I'd usually agree...but the way we started the game made me think that might have been the right call. We scored out only TD because we had Collins backed up and forced him into a bad play...

Generally though, if you're at midfield, I don't see the point in punting. We would have gotten the first, though I doubt we'd have done anything with it afterward.

Yeah, and on that 4th and inches we decided to punt and couldn't even get that right, I think we called time out or were we penalized 5yds, we lost the time of possession too; in the 4th QTR we had a time of poss: on one drive for 29secs and on another for 39secs. And that was pretty much it for the 4th QTR. Decisive points for any football game : turnovers , penalties and time of possession and today it seems like we lost all of them. You can't make a 1st down with inches to go and you don't have faith in your running game when you have no reason to abandon it.

You're throwing deep flies when there aren't working and you call a defensive play designed to cover a linebacker on a WR, and then the funky 4 couldn't even get it right (yeah, was called out on the run way during a comercial break and had to go back into the tunnel; every change of possession on a punt was pretty much a shortfield for them. I mean the punter didn't even average 40yds...

I got one word to describe all that : wow! It seems as though we don't beat the teams we're suppose to and we play tough against the teams that are supposedly tough. Well, I still love my Redskins and I'm going down with them or up-- proudly. There's got to be some good I can find in this somewhere: oh there, I met Tarhog today wow what an experience! Go Skins and Hail!

This is the 12th Man and that's all I know!

Nah, the only questionable play call to me was the 3rd and 7 when we wrere driving, and they threw a second bomb to the left at Jacobs, when Cooley was unstoppable early

Agree 100000000%. That was a very bad play call. we had a very good drive going. We just needed 7 yards. I thought it was pretty obvious we werent going to beat them going long. I was very shocked at that call. That was turning into a long mathodical drive, just what we needed , and we throw another incomplete fly rout to Taylor jacobs :doh:

That play was clearly a first down. Gibbs should have at least challenged the spot, and then go for it on fourth and inches. It cost us alot of momentum

Absolutely! Why don't you challenge that? If nothing else, it certainly sent the message (to them AND us) we were going to play it safe today. This "playing not to lose, until you start losing, and then it's too late to win" has got to end. :mad:

Archived