Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Instant Replay

wildredskins

I am 200% against instant replay and I always will be. Here's a list of the many reasons why it's simply a bad idea:

1) Instant replay leads to worse officiating, not better. The NFL basically told officials to let fumble plays continue, because instant replay can be used to clean up the mess. Why have officials at all then? The fact that the system is there at all basically tells the officials that they aren't good enough to call the game as they see it.

2) Instant replay can never eliminate bad calls. The best example of this is penalties - bad holding calls, bad roughing the passer calls and bad pass interference calls (among others) have always happened and will always happen. So if it's the quest for the "perfectly officiated game" the NFL is after, it's a joke to think that instant replay will give it to them.

3) Instant replay completely disrupts the flow of the game. It stops the game. This doesn't do the teams nor the game any justice. Coaches are using the challenge as a strategic maneuver independent of the call on the field, because of the disruption of the flow. It kills momentum.

4) Instant replay turns us all into lawyers. Instead of talking about why the defense needs to move an eighth man in the box, we're talking about whether or not the ball hit the ground. I hate that. Can we get back to football? Metaphysics do not belong in football.

5) And the reason that no one seems to realize... next year, no one will care if Alstott got in or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GibbSkins11

jus need to tweak it a little but overall its a good system , but refs seem to have eye problems b/c they make the wrong call sometimes after looking at the play for 2 minutes , answer GET GLASSES:laugh:

Haha, though there are so many choices, I don't agree with any of them. What stands out to me is the whole "down by contact" rule, disallowing any reviews. Refs need to ease up on blowing the ball dead so much so that plays can actually be challenged. Also, I guess there would need to be a two challenge limit instead of 1 per half.

The biggest problem with replay is the whole "challenge" system. The NFL is basically saying, our part-time refs (another problem) are going to make some mistakes, but we can't correct them all because it will take too long. We'll let you correct a few but if you're wrong, we'll take away a timeout. It's become part of coaching strategy which should NEVER have happened. A coach has to decide if this missed call is more important than one that might happen later. If he uses them up and a blatant call is blown, he's screwed.

They probably need to do away with it but they won't. When employees aren't doing their jobs you don't create a convoluted system to catch them when they screw up, you get employees who can do it right. Full time refs, in shape, well trained, with no safety net - that's my suggestion. If they must keep it, take it out of the hands of the coaches. You can't just correct some of the mistakes.

Treat the refs like employees. You screw up, you get demoted somehow. There is no harm in changing a call. I feel the review system is sub standard at best. Either make it right, or get rid of it. Everyone who has seen the replay of Alstot at the goal line has stated " he did not break the plane of the goal line. Now if everyone else can see it why didn't the replay officials??

What the hell are they doing out there? (Vince Lombardi)Treat the refs like employees. You screw up, you get demoted somehow. There is no harm in changing a call. I feel the review system is sub standard at best. Either make it right, or get rid of it. Everyone who has seen the replay of Alstot at the goal line has stated " he did not break the plane of the goal line. Now if everyone else can see it why didn't the replay officials??

I like the challenge system of the NFL. Keep that, but go back to the "old" replay system and have a replay official up in the booth. Have an "impartial" set of eyes look at the play.

Also, do away with the "whistle blew" and "ruled down by contact" excuses. Let the replay official look at every play and determine whether or not the play truely was over. A premature whistle (or more likely the official didn't see the ball free so he just assumed that it came out after he blew the whistle) should not negate a fumble.

Last thing, thanks to the Tampa game, some penalty calls should be reviewable. If replay clearly shows that a receiver was not forced out of bounds but rather caught the ball out of bounds on his own, the play should be reversed.

I like replay and I'm glad it exists but some tweaks are still needed.

Archived