Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuck Rule Clarification

I know this is old news, but i was laying in bed this morning with a hangover thinking about ref's screwing us in the past. Okay so here's the situation, Plummer in his endzone with pressure coming...He attempts to "pass" the ball according to the tuck rule and this "pass" doesn't make it to the line of scrimmage or near a receiver.

Why is this not intentional grounding, thus giving us a safety (sack in the endzone)

Thoughts?

The theory behind all this is clear: When the refs played in the NFL it was back in the 80s, when the Redskins were dominant in the NFL. So now that they're officiating, they're trying to get revenge for all those games the Redskins put a whoopin on them, by making terrible calls in favor of the other team. This will all clear up in 10 years. Because in 10 years the refs that will be officiating are the ones that played in the 90s, back when the Redskins had numerous losing seasons. :doh:

I had also questioned why it was neither intentional grounding nor a lateral pass. As stated above, if the QB doesn't have intent, then it is not grounding. What pissed me off more was that the ball went backwards. Apparently, it is written in the "Tuck Rule" that as long as the arm is moving forward, it does not matter which direction the ball comes out. This same rule was applied last week in the Giants game when Eli was hit as his arm came forward and the ball clearly went laterally. The ruling on the field was that it was Vikings ball, but this was overturned because of the "Tuck Rule". Of course the referee only mentions the Tuck Rule and fans are left confused because the ball did clearly go backwards.

The Tuck play sucked -- but you guys are missing an even more important play. The RIDICULOUS offensive interference penalty on David Patten. Remember that? He is in the endzone trying to get back to an underthrown pass and has to go over the defensive back (who has his back turned to the ball) -- he makes a great TD catch (reminded me of something Gary Clark would have done) and is ROBBED by a bogus offensive interference call. That took 7 points off the board in a game we lost by two. It makes me nausious to this day.:wewantd:

The Tuck play sucked -- but you guys are missing an even more important play. The RIDICULOUS offensive interference penalty on David Patten. Remember that? He is in the endzone trying to get back to an underthrown pass and has to go over the defensive back (who has his back turned to the ball) -- he makes a great TD catch (reminded me of something Gary Clark would have done) and is ROBBED by a bogus offensive interference call. That took 7 points off the board in a game we lost by two. It makes me nausious to this day.:wewantd:

It doesn't matter, we still scored on that drive. If anything, it helped us because it made the drive take more time...

:)

Archived