Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I wrong about there being a window with this team?

There are a million theories on this board, but let's try another. Our starting quarterback is an aging veteran who was already released by one team for being too old and all but given up for dead by this team.

There is no mistake that Mark Brunell is the comeback player of the year. But he will be 36 next year and has a lot of wear on his tires. He may have another year like this in him, but would it shock anyone if he fell back to earth next year?

The minute the plug gets pulled on Brunell, we are in the Jason Campbell Era. Unless we have the next Marino or Roethlisberger, we probably have two up and down seasons with him before we are a contender. And by then, Gibbs will likely be gone.

So...this season should have a lot more urgency attached to it, no? This is really not a team structured to slowly build to contention.

AH SH!T!! Way to make this season more pressure riddled than it already has been. Ya killin me here Lombardi.:cry:

Sorry. But I don't see how you can build for the future when the QB and coach have a combined age that is pushing 100.

You would think that it has to happen this year or next year...unless you are convinced that Jason Campbell is THAT good.

I think campbell will be in good shape when he gets the starting role. We have a solid D, a solid run game, and solid recievers - all of which will hopefully improve over the next 2 years. Thats a great environment for JC to get started in. He can throw the deep ball and he can throw short passes, i'm not too worried. I'm more concerned with getting a #2 receiver, getting a pass rush, and shoring up our aging cornerbacks.

As I said in another thread, you make things easier on a young QB if you surround him with talent. Look at Eli. A lot of what he's doing is because he's got good targets to throw to, a running game, and a line to protect him.

It also helps Campbell to sit and watch Brunell and how he runs things.

It certainly beats having to draft a guy next year because you aren't sure if Ramsey is the answer with one year left on his contract.

Jason

As I said in another thread, you make things easier on a young QB if you surround him with talent. Look at Eli. A lot of what he's doing is because he's got good targets to throw to, a running game, and a line to protect him.

It certainly beats having to draft a guy next year because you aren't sure if Ramsey is the answer with one year left on his contract.

Jason

I agree, but that's not the question. Unless you think that Campbell is going to come in and lead the team to the playoffs in his first year as a starter.

I think it's reasonable to suspect that Year 2 of the Campbell Era will be when he is ready to lead the team to greatness. If Brunell starts next year, year 2 of the Campbell Era is 2008.

Jason

We aren't sure if Campbell is the guy any more than we are with Ramsey. It was a dumb decision to trade those picks to Denver for Campbell, but thats what we are stuck with now.

The main question is, will Joe Gibbs stick around long enough to let Campbell develop once Brunell is done?? I doubt it

We aren't sure if Campbell is the guy any more than we are with Ramsey. It was a dumb decision to trade those picks to Denver for Campbell, but thats what we are stuck with now.

I never said Campbell was "the guy". Before this season started, we didn't think Brunell was "the guy". Guess what: there are no sure things.

But, you'd be just as uncertain about a guy you drafted next year.

The main question is, will Joe Gibbs stick around long enough to let Campbell develop once Brunell is done?? I doubt it

Hard to say, but he does have a 5 year contract, with three left after this season. If he sticks it through the contract, almost certainly.

Jason

All teams have a window of opportunity. It is almost impossible to maintain a level of sucess EVERY year. I don't think successful football teams are built overnight. Gibbs is taking the right approach to building this team and it just so happens that it requires time. Gibbs is doing what he has to do to take us to the Superbowl. If it turns out that Gibbs does not get us there, and I hope he does, I will be glad that he put us back on a winning path. Of course, staying on the winning path is mandatory after he is gone.

I bet two years before Gibbs even "thinks" he may go (because he wants to or his contract is up or whatever...) he will be laying the groundwork for the future of the organization (coaches, contracts, etc). When Gibbs left the first time it ruined the Redskins (not saying it was his fault). I think I read somewhere where he stated how much that really disturned him. I think he will take the necessary steps in order for taht NOT to happen again. However, what will really happen remains to be seen.

Archived