Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is our name (Redskins) Offensive?

DCNightHawk

A few more reasons actually...

1. Look at our logo. I mean REALLY look at it. The Indian/Native American in our logo just looks strong, stoic and utterly dignified. It's not a cartoon. It's not a mockery in any way. He is quite simply the symbol of strength. How can that be offensive?

2. Monte Coleman. Remember him holding his helmet aloft as if it were a military guidon as he led our troops into and out of battle. It was almost as if each time he was saying "this is what we play for. This is what we rally around." That's the furthest thing from being offensive.

3. Say something negative about the Redskins to a Redskin fan. Sometimes it seems as though some of us would fight harder to defend our Redskins than the Stars & Stripes. OK, maybe not quite. But you know what I mean. I truly don't understand how something that is such a great source of pride for all of us could possibly be offensive.

4. Look at how hard we fight the efforts to change our logo -- yet another demonstration of how important to us it really is. It's a proven fact that teams who change uniforms, logos, nicknames, etc, sell more merchandise. The "sports consumer" scarfs up anything that's new. Granted the NFL has revenue sharing, but if Mr. Snyder just wanted money or to see more jerseys on the street, he'd change everything. The bottom line is that our name, our logo, our colors, our uniforms MATTER.

I am a fan of the Washington REDSKINS. I hope that never changes.

(And just for the record, I'd respectfully suggest that you not waste your time arguing with your liberal friend. Do something that's likely to be productive such as beating your head against a block wall, trying to dig to China with a soup spoon, or constructing a life-size Washington monument out of toothpicks and dental floss.)

I hate this topic and hate you for bringing it up again.

hey man i hate it too, i just needed some ways to defend my team against the liberal Politcal Correctness onslaught that I am pegged with everytime I mention my team to my friend. Im sorry for bringing it up again but i needed support from my fellow skins fans. Thanks for everyone who has helped out, your comments have been most helpful. :logo::logo::logo::logo:

honorary_hog u are a genius.. great agrugement. I just want to say those last things to my friend and then stop arguing with him. I hate arguing with liberals..... i think im going to go dig to China with a spoon now :D

Definitely not a genius, just very adamant about things that are important to me. Good luck with the digging project!

"Redskins" were the bogeymen of a different age, much like "terrorists" are the bogeymen of the current era. They were villified in novels and magazines as unthinking savages, bent on cruelty. These false characterizations were then used to justify killing them, stealing their land, and pushing them to reservations.

So, as the pejorative of that age, yes, it was offensive. But far greater (and rarely discussed) were the actions of the white man towards the Indians. Those actions were truly shameful (giving blankets to Indians infected with small pox, etc) and have never been redressed appropriately to this day.

Archived