Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense loses another game for us

MonkTotheHall

I hope this finally shuts up any people who still believe that this years defense is better than last years. This is about the thrid time this defense hasn't finished off the game. Even against the eagles, they let the eagles march down to our end. Nobody said anything when we lost fred smoot, i guess people just didn't recongnice how good he was for this defense. With all the blitzing we do, we have to have coners that can play press man coverage. Smoot did that. Thats why when we blitzed, it worked because if we didn't sack the qb then the qb was forced to throw the ball to either someone who was covered or out of bounds. This year when we blitz our coverage is never good enough to completely shut down the play. There is always someone opened. Walt harris can't play press. How many times in 3rd down did you see springs in press and walt ten yards back. williams creates plays to how his player can play the best. He knows Harris can't play press. And yes the alstott did not touch the line. but the defense should of never allowed the bucs to go down there. Yes frost punted that ball horribly but still if we had a great defense then it would of been three and out. And not once but twice the offense (even after having a horrible first half) goes down and score a game leading touchdown only to have the defense give up a bucs touchdown. The defense has to finish games off. Last year all the defense did was keep us in games or win them. Now the offense actually gets the lead and we can't hold it. And how crushing was it when bettis scored that touchdown and then on the following bucs series they score. The defense didn't show me anything. We did sack simms after he had been sacked ten times in the last 2 games. Our linebacker can only do so much. And Pierces 4 int would of really helped this year. This loss was almost as painful as the giants loss. I think it was worse though because our defense is suppose to win that kind of game.

A lot of people will fault Gregg Williams and his frequent use of blitzes, but I don't. You can blitz when you have players who SHOULD be able to take care of business in the secondary. Clearly, Walt Harris did not do that. I would expect his sorry a$$ to be riding the pine next week. He looked about as bad as Ade Jimoh out there yesterday, and that's a shade beyond pitiful.

I hope this finally shuts up any people who still believe that this years defense is better than last years. This is about the thrid time this defense hasn't finished off the game. Even against the eagles, they let the eagles march down to our end. Nobody said anything when we lost fred smoot, i guess people just didn't recongnice how good he was for this defense. With all the blitzing we do, we have to have coners that can play press man coverage. Smoot did that. Thats why when we blitzed, it worked because if we didn't sack the qb then the qb was forced to throw the ball to either someone who was covered or out of bounds. This year when we blitz our coverage is never good enough to completely shut down the play. There is always someone opened. Walt harris can't play press. How many times in 3rd down did you see springs in press and walt ten yards back. williams creates plays to how his player can play the best. He knows Harris can't play press. And yes the alstott did not touch the line. but the defense should of never allowed the bucs to go down there. Yes frost punted that ball horribly but still if we had a great defense then it would of been three and out. And not once but twice the offense (even after having a horrible first half) goes down and score a game leading touchdown only to have the defense give up a bucs touchdown. The defense has to finish games off. Last year all the defense did was keep us in games or win them. Now the offense actually gets the lead and we can't hold it. And how crushing was it when bettis scored that touchdown and then on the following bucs series they score. The defense didn't show me anything. We did sack simms after he had been sacked ten times in the last 2 games. Our linebacker can only do so much. And Pierces 4 int would of really helped this year. This loss was almost as painful as the giants loss. I think it was worse though because our defense is suppose to win that kind of game.

HE said coner!!! :laugh: :laugh:

and when did the Skins get Bettis???

exactly its the last half of the season and we need to start rooting with our heads a little and not so much our hearts,this guy makes some good points and i agree when your d puts no pressure on a qb ,i dont care if its an avg qb its just a matter of time before he rips you apart,thats what happened last night,our d slapped our o in the face twice in the 4th quarter on the road against the no.1 defense,unacceptable,

This year our D is average at best. There is no excuse for putting up 35 points and still lOOOOSing. They should have man-ed up and stoped them from marching down the field. Period. There is no excuse, you cannot say they were tired because our offense had the ball for more than 35 minutes. GW really dropped the ball this time, I mean really. You mean to tell me that when ST gets hurt there is NO ONE to replace him. Who is the heck is Chris SImms? I bet he wishes he can play the 'Skins every week.

You people can make excuses about the bull crap calls (which it was) all day, the fact remains a top rated D should not loose the game for you in the final minutes.

I am totally outraged.

I agree completely. The DEFENSE (or lack thereof) cost us this game. Whether it was poor defensive play calling or poor execution. DEFENSE cost us the game.

We should have STUFFED Alstott down there. Everyone knew who was gonna get the ball. But like it's been said over and over, it should have never come to that. Less than 2 minutes to go and basically a rookie QB and he scores on us. Why on earth were we in man coverage with no safety help on that last TD?

If you're gonna sit Walt Harris, then look out. Cause last I saw Carlos Rogers got burned a time or two as well.

I think Coach Gibbs will have some a$$es this week. Sure he's steamed about the 2pt conversion call but a lot of stuff leading up to it has got to have his blood boiling.

MC

I agree completely. The DEFENSE (or lack thereof) cost us this game. Whether it was poor defensive play calling or poor execution. DEFENSE cost us the game.

We should have STUFFED Alstott down there. Everyone knew who was gonna get the ball. But like it's been said over and over, it should have never come to that. Less than 2 minutes to go and basically a rookie QB and he scores on us. Why on earth were we in man coverage with no safety help on that last TD?

If you're gonna sit Walt Harris, then look out. Cause last I saw Carlos Rogers got burned a time or two as well.

I think Coach Gibbs will have some a$$es this week. Sure he's steamed about the 2pt conversion call but a lot of stuff leading up to it has got to have his blood boiling.

MC

:notworthy I couldn't agree with you more. If this is any indication how the rest of the year is going to be, then look out. Now that you mentioned stuffing Alstott, why in the world did LA go up high against him intead of taking Alstott head on? From the replay it looked like LA flew right pass Alstott. Didn't even hit him. This is mind blowing. The D dropped the ball.

Plus, that rookie is not ready to be hung out there my himself. GW should have known that when he blitz eveyone except him. (That is what it seemed like anyway).

The numbers don't lie, we are a top ten defense. Injuries are killing us and the D line, especially our Ends. When the only way you can get pressure is to blitz, than you are putting a lot of pressure on your secondary and when you are missing your starting safety, thats a lot to ask.

We need to get Griffen back and Taylor back and with Lavar getting better and better every game we are poised for a run, maybe notthis year, definitely next year to the super bowl. We are one defensive player away from being a championship defense.

The Defense is suspect at best. Walt Harris is some cut, and Gregg Williams isn't as much of the genius folks made him out to be. It would seem to me that with Tampa only having one real threat to throw to, Sean Springs would have been covering him all over the field. Also, it would seem to me that, if you have a defensive line that generates zero pressure, instead of taking out Lavar on 3rd downs, you'd let him rush the QB seeing as how he is the last person to get a significant number of sacks for this team. I hate to say it, but Smoot may be missed more than I care to admit.

The Bucs made a bunch of big plays down the middle of the field on us. No way they make them all if Sean Taylor is back there. This game proved big-time that he is a difference-maker. The bucs approached us completely different from every other passing game - primarily because they knew there would be openings in the deep middle.

We'll be better when healthy.

The only problem with Gregg Williams is his ego. He refuses to admit that they need a pass rusher. When was the last time we ever had a defensive line that put pressure on the quarterback? Not in a long time.
i couldnt agree with you more,im done sticking up for gw,heneeds to produce,with no pressure on the qbs i dont see us entering the playoffs i mean 35 points against the no.1 d in the league should of been enough but our d fail us again:helmet:

Archived