Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting info on Sellers

rdavis2005

http://www.bluebombers.com/index/Sellers_Mike

And I thought he was just a special teams ace/blocker......

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers backfield remains in tact, thanks to the re-signing of powerful fullback Mike Sellers.

Sellers is an impressive physical specimen. Throughout the 2002 CFL season, Sellers showed one and all that he is an unstoppable force. He enters his 5th CFL season and his 2nd with Winnipeg. He has played in 51 regular-season games and two playoff encounters.

Sellers is a four-year NFL veteran who started seven of the nine games he played for the Cleveland Browns in 2001. Before the Browns, he played three seasons for the Washington Redskins. He has played in a total of 53 NFL games and has started 16 of those contests.

The 27-year-old already has four years of CFL experience to go with his four years in the NFL, as he played three years for the Edmonton Eskimos in the mid-1990s. No other CFL team has a fullback with Sellers’ combination of youth, strength, skill and experience.

Sellers adds much to the Winnipeg offence and is a very unique asset to the team.

The talent level of the Blue & Gold’s offence was ratcheted up two or three more levels May 7, 2002. That was the day the CFL club originally signed the man-mountain fullback.

THE CFL YEARS – PART II – 2002

Sellers had an outstanding CFL campaign in 2002. He was Winnipeg’s Mr. Everything, placing 1st in special teams tackles (22), 2nd in rushing (77 carries, 377 yards, 4.9 average), 3rd in receiving (63 receptions, 643 yards, 10.2 average), 3rd in kickoff returns (7 returns, 102 yards, 14.8 average) and 4th in all-purpose yardage (1,122 yards).

Sellers added four touchdowns to his totals. His reception numbers are believed to be a CFL record for fullbacks.

What the stats don’t show is Sellers’ ability to block for teammates. His blocking skills helped backfield partner Charles Roberts gain 1,162 yards rushing to place 2nd in the CFL in that category. The protection he gave quarterback Khari Jones allowed the signal caller to have one of the greatest individual seasons in the history of CFL Football.

Sellers’ accomplishments wowed fellow CFLers, as they voted him to the CFLPA All-Star Team.

2002 SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

There was much talk about Winnipeg’s signing of the NFL starter prior to the 2002 training camp. Well, Sellers gave people much more talk about after his remarkable debut performance in Week 1 action (Winnipeg vs. Toronto, June 28, 2002). He made three catches for 50 yards, one rush for three yards and a first down, and two special teams tackles. The highlight of his night was a reception where Sellers hurdled two on-coming Argo defenders to forge a 44-yard gain.

In Week 5 play (Winnipeg @ Toronto, July 23, 2002), Sellers took a Jones pass in the flat and turned it into a huge 46-yard touchdown reception – the first touchdown of his Winnipeg Blue Bombers career.

One of the best Blue Bomber memories from the 2002 season came in Week 15 (Winnipeg vs Saskatchewan, Oct. 12, 2002) when a smiling Sellers – helmet ripped off his head – dragged six Roughriders defenders 12 yards along the ground for an important first down.

“Bigg Mike” had 13 rushes for 75 yards and four receptions for 52 yards in Week 17 play against the Tiger-Cats (Winnipeg @ Hamilton, Oct. 27, 2002). He single-handedly produced nine first downs for the Blue Bombers to help the team obtain the victory. The contest was also the 50th game of Sellers’ CFL career.

THE NFL YEARS – 1998-2001

Sellers proved to all in the NFL that he can block like a demon to create running lanes for teammates. He also showed that he could get involved in the offence by catching passes out of the backfield.

He has 25 career NFL receptions for 274 yards (11.0 average) and six touchdowns. He gave his NFL teams an added dimension by serving as a secondary kickoff returner when needed.

Sellers signed as a free agent with Washington Feb. 11, 1998 after three years in the CFL. In his NFL rookie season, Sellers was one of the Redskins bright young stars. Used mostly on special teams, he placed 3rd on the team with 86 special teams blocks. He added nine special teams tackles that year. He saw spot duty on offence at tight end.

Sellers took on a more active role in 1999, as the Washington coaches employed his talents as a blocking fullback, pass-catching tight end and special teams maniac. He led the Skins in special teams blocks with 124, adding 17 special teams tackles. He played in all 16 of Washington’s regular-season games and their two playoff encounters.

One of his 1999 highlights was hauling in a 33-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Brad Johnson in Week 6 action against the Dallas Cowboys (Washington @ Dallas, Oct. 24, 1999).

Sellers used the 2000 NFL season to showcase his nasty blocking abilities. It was Sellers’ pass protection and lane creation that allowed tailback Larry Centers to set club records for combined yardage.

The Browns signed Sellers as a restricted free agent Mar. 14, 2001. The team used him as an H-back, which is designed for players with several talents and is combination of the wide receiver, tight end and fullback positions.

THE CFL YEARS – PART I

Sellers signed as a free agent with the Edmonton Eskimos Mar. 21, 1995 as a tender young 19-year-old to become the youngest player to play in the CFL that year.

His CFL rookie season of 1995 is one Sellers would like to forget, as in Edmonton’s first pre-season game, he fractured a bone in his foot and missed the entire season.

Sellers more than made up for the lost time in the 1996 season. He appeared in 17 of Edmonton’s 18 regular-season games that year, switching time between linebacker and defensive end. He tallied 16 defensive tackles, seven special teams tackles, three quarterback sacks for 11 yards lost, three pass knockdowns, two tackles for a loss and one blocked punt.

Sellers was a key component of Edmonton’s powerful 1997 team that posted a 12-6 regular-season record but was stunned 31-30 by the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the 1997 West Division Final (Edmonton vs. Saskatchewan, Nov. 9, 1997).

Sellers played on both sides of the football for the Eskies in 1997. He was a fullback on offence and a defensive lineman on defence.

On offence, he rushed the ball 40 times for 133 yards and caught the ball five times for 57 yards. On defence, Sellers notched 10 defensive tackles, one quarterback sack, one forced fumble, one interception return for eight yards and one fumble return for 43 yards. On special teams, he recorded 17 special teams tackles, one kickoff return and one missed field goal return.

THE COLLEGE & HIGH SCHOOL YEARS

Sellers played just one year of college ball and was a Junior College All-American linebacker for Walla Walla Community College.

Sellers was a standout prep player in football, basketball and track-and-field at North Thurston High School in Lacey, Washington. He was Washington State’s High-School Player of the Year and the State’s Offensive Player of the Year as a senior.

He rushed for more than 4,000 yards in his high-school career and scored 36 touchdowns. Like many true natives of the great Pacific Northwest, he enjoys all kinds of fishing.

Sellers amassed a 16-3 record as an amateur boxer in the heavyweight division. He totaled 14 knockouts in those 16 victories.

He is a beast, a few years ago I was at the Western Conference Final in the CFL, Winnipeg was playing Edmonton and he broke a run right along the sideline I was sitting on. He was a beast and no one could tackle him, just a monster. Unfortunately that is the closest I have been to a Redskin in my life to this point.

When he was here in Washington before I remember specifically watching him through my binoculars on kickoff coverage. He was the wedge buster and would literally blow up the wedge. One particular game he flattened one of the kick returners blockers. I had a chance to speak with him after the game and mentioned that I was watching him on that play and commented on his hit. He was so excited that someone saw it and appreciated it, I couldn't get over his reaction to my comment. He gave me five and said, "Man, you saw that?" "I can't wait until the film session, I know I leveled that guy". I was pleasantly shocked at his reaction. It made me feel good to know he appreciated my compliment.

sellers is taking away all of portises tds. the sheriff said so on redskins.com.. but he was just kidding.. in the locker room, when interviewed by larry micheals, sellers said ill run him over again is he wants me too. that was funny.. loving the vibe around the skins. cant get any better than this.. fallen deep the last 5 yrs, now we are rising.. cheers to all the redskins fan..

Archived