Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our new defensive mentality: The "U"

LiveStrongSkins

If Ladanian Tomlinsin can adopt "LT" from then we can take "The U"...I like it...of course I went to MIT which a good High School football team could beat so I'm not involved in any emotional college rivalries. :cool: :D

Look, I know this is off topic, but does MIT really have a football team? Name a team they play I might recognize. What are they called? Do their jerseys have pocket protectors? Do they audible or just email plays with Blackberries?

I think that he (the thread starter) is referring to comments that Lavar Arrington made on the John Thompson show this week. He said the defensive players were calling themselves "The U" because they were playing with the sense of urgency you have to play with in college ball, where one loss could mean your season as far as championship possibilities go. Here is the quote:

"Fortunately for us, this isn't college and one loss doesn't ruin your season. On the other hand, the beautiful thing about college is the urgency, because if you lose, your season is over. Going to the national championship [with a single loss] is out of reach, and we talked about that. We talked about taking it back to college. The feeling you had in college, and the love of the game. We call ourselves [the defensive unit] "The U." I talked to Renaldo .. when you put that green jersey on for the bowl game for Notre Dame. Shawn Springs .. playing for Ohio State. Sean Taylor. On and on. We talked about going out there and having fun. Know what you're doing, but don't be afraid to make a mistake, and I think that's what we did, and it carried over through the whole team. The energy was being fed off of in all aspects of the game.

Makes sense to me

Personally I love it, if these guys can keep the energy for every single game

The NFL though, unlike college is such a grind. Every game is winnable/losable

In college, the serious national title contenders get challeneged once or twice, MAYBE 3 times a season. In the NFL each week is a challenge

I love the idea, I think its great, I just think it is incredibly hard to have THAT kind of energy each week

Makes sense to me

Personally I love it, if these guys can keep the energy for every single game

The NFL though, unlike college is such a grind. Every game is winnable/losable

In college, the serious national title contenders get challeneged once or twice, MAYBE 3 times a season. In the NFL each week is a challenge

I love the idea, I think its great, I just think it is incredibly hard to have THAT kind of energy each week

The only problem with that is if you play with that urgency every week in the pros, you end up burning yourself out and getting beat 36-0 one week.

Archived