Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our new defensive mentality: The "U"

LiveStrongSkins

I love it. Both the crowd and the players played and cheered like it was a nationally televised bowl game. Discuss how you feel about this...

I always love when posters say:

Discuss how you feel about this...

I feel like I am in class again.......and I had an assignment to do and I can't remember if I read all of the assignment!

:laugh:

Blondie

I always love when posters say:

Discuss how you feel about this...

I feel like I am in class again.......and I had an assignment to do and I can't remember if I read all of the assignment!

:laugh:

Blondie

You feel like you're in class again? I thought you were blond! Doesn't that go against your mission statement?

;)

Edit: Smiley added to indicate sarcasm.

You feel like you're in class again? I thought you were blond! Doesn't that go against your mission statement?

;)

Edit: Smiley added to indicate sarcasm.

NOTICE I said I couldn't remember if I had read the assignment.

I went to class..........sometimes.......

If my teachers and students only KNEW what type of student I really was.

:silly:

Blondie

Hmmm, I kinda see where you are going at

You are trying to say our D plays with "swagger"

Well, up until this past Saturday the Canes hadn't had swagger since they got robbed in the Fiesta Bowl in early 2003 (and yes they got robbed)

I dunno to be honest, the Canes play with a more attacking style then we have this year

I think the Redskins have their own swagger and edge, but its not like you see in the college game

Hell up until this past saturday our D had been playing with tons of swagger and on message boards guys like Jimmy Williams had been called "thugs" So who knows

Well, up until this past Saturday the Canes hadn't had swagger since they got robbed in the Fiesta Bowl in early 2003 (and yes they got robbed)

I dunno to be honest, the Canes play with a more attacking style then we have this year

I think the Redskins have their own swagger and edge, but its not like you see in the college game

Hell up until this past saturday our D had been playing with tons of swagger and on message boards guys like Jimmy Williams had been called "thugs" So who knows

I think that he (the thread starter) is referring to comments that Lavar Arrington made on the John Thompson show this week. He said the defensive players were calling themselves "The U" because they were playing with the sense of urgency you have to play with in college ball, where one loss could mean your season as far as championship possibilities go. Here is the quote:

"Fortunately for us, this isn't college and one loss doesn't ruin your season. On the other hand, the beautiful thing about college is the urgency, because if you lose, your season is over. Going to the national championship [with a single loss] is out of reach, and we talked about that. We talked about taking it back to college. The feeling you had in college, and the love of the game. We call ourselves [the defensive unit] "The U." I talked to Renaldo .. when you put that green jersey on for the bowl game for Notre Dame. Shawn Springs .. playing for Ohio State. Sean Taylor. On and on. We talked about going out there and having fun. Know what you're doing, but don't be afraid to make a mistake, and I think that's what we did, and it carried over through the whole team. The energy was being fed off of in all aspects of the game.

Its not about the canes. The "U' represents when every player on the defense was in college. It's about taking it back to those days and having fun like they did in college. Why would an NFL team say lets play like the Miami Hurricanes. In arringtons speech to the team he made this up and he sure didnt go to Miami.

Does the "U" even sell out it's home games?

Are they even at 1/2 capacity?

Bingo.

The U has terrible fan support/attendance.

They are the biggest bandwagon fans ever. The attendance at the Orange Bowl has been in constant decline since the NC season and they only fill like 65% of their stadium.

it was actually LaVar that announced that on the John Thompson show

and it's the "U", as in the "Unit"

as in the defense is one unit, all together

He was actually talking about University. He said everybodys playing like they are back in school for the love of the game. He mentioned a lot of players example Wynn playing like he is wearing the Green, Shawn like he is in Ohio State, etc.

This is not a thread to come out and bash the miami hurricanes. This is a thread to discuss how we feel about Arrington stepping up and saying lets play like we did in college. As I am typing this now Kelli Johnson is talking about the defense going back to the college days and being nicknamed the "U". Talk VT and Miami in another thread.

He was actually talking about University. He said everybodys playing like they are back in school for the love of the game. He mentioned a lot of players example Wynn playing like he is wearing the Green, Shawn like he is in Ohio State, etc.

He said the defense was playing as one Unit, and they've nicknamed themselves the "U". He also said they talked about playing with a sense of urgency like they did in college when one loss took you out of title contention. The U has nothing to do with university.

He said the defense was playing as one Unit, and they've nicknamed themselves the "U". He also said they talked about playing with a sense of urgency like they did in college when one loss took you out of title contention. The U has nothing to do with university.

Yes it does... watch comcast sportsnet where Marcus Washington specifically told the point of the speech.

Archived