Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couple of items from the Times

JimboDaMan

Extra points

Receiver Darnerien McCants continued a strong bid for a roster spot with two deep touchdown catches during the afternoon practice.

:cool: :cool: This guy is gonna have a fun year.

Cornerback Darrell Green returned a pass for a touchdown, showing that the 42-year-old remains cagey.

What? I assume they mean an interception and they're not implying he lined up on offense.

Receiver Akihito Amaya spiked the ball when returning to the huddle after catching a deep pass.

Even more than with guys like Skaggs, I don't know why this fella is still in camp.

One more thing: with Champ out this weekend who gets the work? Darrell doesn't need much, will Bauman play most of the game?

Right you are, Brave. I would have used the term 'interception' but since it said 'returned' those of us without comprehension challenges knew what it meant.

I can't believe how we've corrupted that Japanese gentleman. From a culture noted for its reserve and decorum we've got him doing the in-your-face touchdown spike. Next big play he'll be doing the Worm :laugh:

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

Amaya is on the training camp roster PURELY as a marketing ploy for the NFL. Spurrier has no interest in him whatever.

Tagliabue created a roster exemption for the 2 Japanese players in the Osaka Bowl to pique interest in the game over there.

Camp fodder...no more, no less! :)

the offense is going to have a solid season because Spurrier has gotten the players to buy into his system and work hard.

in the NFL there is a parity of talent for the most part. sure there are superstars, but most teams that win have a large number of players that are merely hard workers and attitude guys with moderate ability.

in recent years the Redskins have lacked such players.

we have had high-priced free agents and high draft choices coupled with waiver wire pickups for depth and development.

and that two-tiered approach with nothing in the NFL 'middle class' is not a formula for success, given the 16 game schedule and the fact some starters are going to get injured.

the Redskins are deep at receiver. not deep in the sense that we have 4 pro bowlers vying for playing time, but by the end of the year we could have 3 or 4 players with 40+ catches to go along with a running back that gets his 1,200-1,400 yards. :)

And that kind of balance combind with a strong defense usually yields a winning record and a playoff berth.

and the selling point for Spurrier is these players were not big hits elsewhere, so there is a question if Green, Doering, Wuerffel does produce in 2002 the Skins are not likely to fact that much competition to get them re-signed to extension deals. :)

Actually, McCants has sub-4.5 speed, I believe. The knock is that he is a long strider and needs a few steps to get up to full speed.

But he's big and should be able to beat the jam with his strength. And he showed how physical he can be on both TDs. I believe he has the potential to be the kind of receiver you can throw the ball to anytime he has single coverage, even if he doesn't have great separation, because he can just go up and get the ball.

He's still a bit raw, but has tons of potential and has shown that he's learning and improving. He's one of those kids that just has a natural feel for the game that you can't teach.

Oh, and one more thing... It's great to hear that Darrell is still kicking arse in practice. Go, Darrell, Go.

Yes, I would expect to see quite a lot of Bauman this weekend. Who else do we have in reserve at CB?

Hope Champ's pinky's alright

Actually, I see Lockett being our Az-Hakin story. His playing style actually resembles Hakim's a little as well. Isn't it funny how we were so worried about the WR position a few weeks ago and now nobody can shut up about our "stars" and keeps talking about how deep we are? I love it!!

ND, our Ricky Proehl type is Doering. Yes, he'll play the slot WR like Proehl, but Lockett is faster than Proehl and probably makes better cuts. Proehl's a guy who averages no better than 13 ypc for his career; his best year in that regard was his rookie year, at 14.3 ypc.

Lockett has a similar career average, but has played in systems that were not geared towards big plays to WR's. I could see him averaging 16-17 ypc as our #3 WR. I almost guarantee you that he'll have more YAC than Proehl too.

Archived